PDA

View Full Version : Bad week at Lilleset

foggybok
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
Can't wait for the new one to start...

The week started by putting down my 21 year old mare on Monday. She was such a wonderful horse. I will miss her!

Mercedes Hemp 1988-2009

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/foggybok/t31109.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/foggybok/t1109.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/foggybok/t21109.jpg

My saint of a husband buried her that day, in a torrential downpour.....

I left the next morning for San Francisco..

By Wednesday night I came down with influenza and was unable to do anything but hole up in bed....

My poor husband was home with the storm....Turns out they got even more rain, which washed out the road..

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/foggybok/asphaltpudding.jpg

And the road ended up in our lower pasture....

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn304/foggybok/Iwantedtograveltheswampbut.jpg

And with the rain came winds... last recorded on our property at 57 mph before we lost power, so don't know how high they got. Someone up the hill and over a bit reported a gust of 127 mph the same day.... We lost two temp horse shelters and our utility shed. The shed almost hit my husband in the head as it flew over him when he got out of the car after a trip to town.... Our stuff was scattered half a mile down the road...

I was supposed to go home Friday, but my husband told me not to come, still no power or water, so not a good place to be sick..... Being on the end of a road, with few places beyond us, we were not on the critical path for power restoration.... The generator took care of the freezer and fridge, but it's not yet hooked up to the well.....

Good news is critters fared OK and at least I have the old barn to use for shelter, not ideal, but will do for now.....

Today, I'm supposed to go home. There are wind warnings again for the area, but I hope I get home OK....

Been a long week, I'm going home, hugging my hubby and my horses and waiting for a New Monday to start...........

BasqueMom
Nov. 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
Am so sorry about your lovely mare! Wow....that's some weather! More kudos to your DH for holding the fort!

sdlbredfan
Nov. 22, 2009, 01:47 PM
I am so sorry, for all of the crummy events of the week.

deltawave
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:43 PM
So sorry. Here's to a better week ahead! :)

Ghazzu
Nov. 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
Holy shlamoley!
Hope things get better!

Zu Zu
Nov. 22, 2009, 05:49 PM
So very sorry for the loss of your beautiful old mare. RIP Mercedes Hemp. * Jingles for a better week this week and a quiet Turkey Day.

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:15 PM
More Jingles from Florida for a better week for you.

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved mare.

foggybok
Nov. 22, 2009, 10:10 PM
THanks All

The mare was special to me since she was the daughter of my best mare ever. She was quite a nice mare on her own merits as well.... Anyone could ride her and she was a dream to ride..Not many like her..... But it was time and that's what happens when we own animals. She's in a better place....

I made it safely home today and DH had a pot of Chicken Cacciatore cooking all afternoon waiting for me... Did I say I LOVE my husband!

JSwan
Nov. 22, 2009, 10:17 PM
I made it safely home today and DH had a pot of Chicken Cacciatore cooking all afternoon waiting for me... Did I say I LOVE my husband!

Hubby sounds like a keeper - but I'm very sorry about your mare. Sounds like she was a grand lady. :sadsmile:

foggybok
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hubby sounds like a keeper - but I'm very sorry about your mare. Sounds like she was a grand lady. :sadsmile:

Thanks,

Yes she was a grand lady

And hubby is most definitely a keeper! (although he might not want to keep me after last week, as it was my idea to move to this place.....)

Bluey
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:08 AM
Sorry about your mare and everything else.

I hope you get your electricity back up, or your generator connected to the well.

Living at the end of the line is not for sissies, is it.

Hope you feel better soon.:yes:

JSwan
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:33 AM
And hubby is most definitely a keeper! (although he might not want to keep me after last week, as it was my idea to move to this place.....)

Nah, you sound like you're a keeper too.

Keep your chin up. :)

chai
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
That's a tough week. I'm sorry about your mare. She looks like a lovely girl. I had the flu, too, and it's no fun. I hope you're feeling better and the power will be on when you get home. Your husband sounds like a great guy.

foggybok
Nov. 23, 2009, 03:42 PM
Got home in the dark last night, so couldn't do the farm inspection. Got up this morning and took a tour of the damage... Walked outside and was immediately greeted by the welcome committee. The chookies don't think hubby gives them enough treats, so they came running.....The sun was shining from behind the snow capped ridge behind us, a beautiful day! By the way, there is a reason it is called "Hurricane Ridge" :);)

The dog and I took a little walk down below. The bottom of our propery is partially wetlands. This time of year it is generally impassable because it gets pretty mucky.... Well, all the road base that washed out was deposited along our bottom fencline...looking at the fence posts I put in earleir, there is about a foot of fill there now, stretching about 400 feet into the property. So what was formerly wet swampy muck, is now a pretty solid base....will make getting to some downed timber pretty easy, as well as doing fence maintainence... Not sure what the county will do, they are responsible for cleaning it up as it was due to failure of their drainage system. They need to do a lot of work down there, but not sure what the extent will be...... I kind of like it the way it is...:)

Lots of tree branches down, but no major timber losses, that last big storm knocked over 4 100 ft cedars. The lumber from that is being used to build fence around the property (and the chicken coop!)

Minor bits and pieces scattered about the property, hubby cleaned most of it up already....interesting to think about how each piece ended up where it did....

The two temp shelters took quite a flight...I guess we knew they wouldn't last, but were hoping to eek out another winter (hey, they survived the surprise 3 foot snow loads last winter...).... Still trying to figure out how the utility shed took flight.....the other two were not a surprise (neighbor lost the same type, even though he had them cemented into the ground....flew 300 feet....), but that one was...

Was glad to see that all the drainage work we did behind the barn is paying off. In the last month, we filled in and matted the old barn and placed drains and geotextile fabric outside and brought in many tons of fill. That area looks great! No standing water, nice and dry :D Last year that area was under a foot of water....

yeah Bluey, living at the end of the line is not for sissies, but I wouldn't trade it for anything....We can hit the DNR land and ride forever if we want.....straight into the Olympic National Forest if we had the ambition....

Anyone who is curious, here's the farm, it's not much, but it's our little slice of heaven..... And after all is said and done, I love it here!

http://www.coastsideceramics.com/Lilleset.html

shalomypony
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.It hurts...I lost my boy two wks ago.He was 36.Your girl was quite a beauty as is your amazing property.Feel better.......

Calvincrowe
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:22 PM
Foggybok--that storm packed a punch, didn't it? I think it hit the Puget Sound much harder than down here, though we did lose power. I'm afraid to go look at our lower woods...no way to retrieve downed trees from the ravine there.

Your farm is lovely--and what a place to have a farm!! Gorgeous on the Peninsula! My dream is to drive the length of 101 from Long Beach to Port Angeles--I want to see the rainforest, and the lonely beaches up there.

Condolences on your mare (and your shelters!). Tough weeks usually are blessed by good times ahead. Be positive and count blessings.

foggybok
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:50 PM
Foggybok--that storm packed a punch, didn't it? I think it hit the Puget Sound much harder than down here, though we did lose power. I'm afraid to go look at our lower woods...no way to retrieve downed trees from the ravine there.

Your farm is lovely--and what a place to have a farm!! Gorgeous on the Peninsula! My dream is to drive the length of 101 from Long Beach to Port Angeles--I want to see the rainforest, and the lonely beaches up there.

Condolences on your mare (and your shelters!). Tough weeks usually are blessed by good times ahead. Be positive and count blessings.

Yeah, we usually are spared while you folks get the worst of it, but this one hit us square......

Had a great ride this summer into the Olympic National Forest up the Bogeschiel River....it's pretty spectacular back in that part...... You should definitely visit this area since you are so close!

harveyhorses
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:47 AM
What great pictures! Very impressive mountain backdrop

kookicat
Nov. 27, 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm so sorry. Too many of the grand old ones have gone this year. {{hugs}}

The wind sucks, doesn't it? We've been getting guts of up to 80mph, and there's branches down all over my land. Hubby is going to gather them and do something useful with them. (What the 'something useful' is remains to be seen)

Your farm is stunning! :)

foggybok
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:21 PM
I'm so sorry. Too many of the grand old ones have gone this year. {{hugs}}

The wind sucks, doesn't it? We've been getting guts of up to 80mph, and there's branches down all over my land. Hubby is going to gather them and do something useful with them. (What the 'something useful' is remains to be seen)

Your farm is stunning! :)

thanks!

ha ha, we decided to do something useful too, one of our big pines snapped off about half way up, we're going to use the top as our Christmas tree :)

The rest of the branches are going next door for my neighbor's quail habitat.....