PDA

View Full Version : Best Spray on Coat Conditioner?

Kairoshorses
Nov. 21, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm trying to keep my horses' coats nice this winter (and summer!), and it's really dry where we are.....what do you all recommend as a spray on coat conditioner? My friend likes one called Santa Fe, and I've been using vitrolen (or something like that). What do YOU (the experts!) like?

Crooked Horse
Nov. 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hands down, Infusium leave-in hair conditioner (the people kind) in a spray bottle. It's not cheap, but you can get the big size on sale here sometimes.

For manes and tails I mix one-third Infusium, one-third Show Sheen and one-third water. My horses have the softest tangle-free tails at the barn. They smell pretty good, too :cool: .

mothermucker12
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:46 AM
Healthy Hair care products if you want something to use often

Renae
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:24 AM
I second Healthy Haircare- the pink stuff is great! http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=884&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=116&iSubCat=120&iProductID=884

murphyluv
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:26 AM
world champion pepi coat.
Stuff smells freaking awesome, and it makes their coat so incredibly shiny. Every Friesian barn or show barn I've been in has the stuff.

Tee
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
I like HHC for coats and then straight Infusium for manes and tails. I didn't find HHC to work so good on manes and tails for some reason.

pricestory
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
another vote for the pink stuff

sublimequine
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:57 AM
The pink stuff, Healthy Hair Care, definitely. :)

Dazednconfused
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:10 PM
Healthy Hair Care! And avoid show sheen. I can't believe sometimes that people still use that stuff. Ick.

deltawave
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
I like Santa Fe (orange bottle) but they're all pretty much the same. Never have understood the "loving" and "hating" of these products--who uses them enough to form such strong passions, I wonder? :lol:

Dazednconfused
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
I like Santa Fe (orange bottle) but they're all pretty much the same. Never have understood the "loving" and "hating" of these products--who uses them enough to form such strong passions, I wonder? :lol:

Uh, those of us who do it for a living :lol:

deltawave
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:15 PM
Do what for a living, spray products on horses? :confused: :lol:

I guess I'm either a bad groom or old-school--I only use sprays on tails, and then only before a show so I can comb 'em out. I rarely spray anything on coats and manes.

Dazednconfused
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:18 PM
Do what for a living, spray products on horses? :confused: :lol:

I guess I'm either a bad groom or old-school--I only use sprays on tails, and then only before a show so I can comb 'em out. I rarely spray anything on coats and manes.

Groom horses professionally...

When you take care of 35 or 40 at a time in a show facility, needless to say you get well acquainted with all those products and what works and what doesn't...;)

deltawave
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:31 PM
Fair enough. Guess I haven't used enough bottles of Show Sheen to formulate any hatred yet. I still think it's fine. ;)

Renae
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:46 PM
I agree with Dazednconfused, would not touch a horse with ShowSheen, even if just for show grooming, there are so many better products out there. ShowSheen temporarily makes hair shiny, long term it seals the hair shaft and causes hair to become dry and brittle. For shine in tails at horse shows I use Cowboy Magic Detangler & Shine and Ultra Finishing Oil.

But for daily use on the coat, mane and tail from grooming hundreds of horses at Arabian and Saddlebred show barns I have foudn the pink stuff does the best job of moisturizing and not having any off side effects. It is one of those things that if you use it daily you will notice a differance! I like to spray it on the horse between the hard brushing and soft brushing so that i brush it in with the soft brush. A good many Arabian halter trainers will use it on their horses twice a day when the hosre gets groomed before and after it is worked, and then use the Ultra or Pepi at shows. But I would not use Ultra or Pepi as a daily coat conditioner.

Noctis
Nov. 22, 2009, 05:10 PM
I mix some pantene pro-v ice shine (ok its because its what the dh bought for me, so I use whatever pantene conditioner I have) mixed with water in a spray bottle. Works really really well, not drying etc. Smells yummy too! And, for my gray filly, doesn't attract dirt! Win-Win!