PDA

View Full Version : Jingles for Ivan please! UPDATE, good news!

McVillesMom
Nov. 21, 2009, 03:42 PM
This might get shut down quickly, as he is not a farm cat (although he came from a farm, maybe that counts?) but I need serious jingles for my kitty.

He is already a miracle cat - was diagnosed with renal lymphoma and had a kidney removed when he was 10 months old in 2002. Has been on chemo since then and until a few days ago has been completely normal (yes, he's 8 now!)

A few days ago I witnessed part of what I now know is a weird, possibly neurologic episode. He's had 2 more since then. They are very short and he seems totally aware while they are going on, so not like a typical seizure. Otherwise he seems totally neurologically normal. He has a neuro consult scheduled for Monday - I am hoping I can get video of what he's doing before then (although I would be just as happy if he had no more episodes!)

Hopefully it's not neuro, but pain somewhere. One common sequela of renal lymphoma is metastasis to the CNS - I am terrified that's what we're dealing with, and the prognosis for that is pretty grave. Plus the only way to know if he has a brain lesion is to do a CT, and we're already in the hole on vet bills (between my other cat with chronic diarrhea and my horse's Potomac episode).

Here are a few photos of Ivan:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=689062&l=6c7849bac6&id=1535927561
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=279485&l=9dd7d99842&id=1535927561
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=279493&l=712a185e48&id=1535927561

I know I should feel extremely lucky and blessed to have had him this long, but he's my little man and I can't imagine losing him. Please keep us in your thoughts!

Carol Ames
Nov. 21, 2009, 04:06 PM
What a wonderful looking kitty:yes:; I'm sure his personality lives up to his good looks!:winkgrin:lots of jingles from me and my many kitty companions of the last 60 +:eek: years; I consider them all "spirit guides"Blessings, cuddles:cool: and purrs;)

Zu Zu
Nov. 21, 2009, 05:55 PM
Jingles for Handsome Ivan. Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Thoughts and prayers that an answer is found and Ivan recovers quickly.

Grataan
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
Jingling like mad here.

Hollywood
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:55 PM
What a cutie pie! Jingles for Ivan! I truly hope he has many more lives to share with you.

ZiggyStardust
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
Jingles for Ivan, orange kitties are the best!

McVillesMom
Nov. 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys. So far he hasn't done anything weird this afternoon...fingers crossed that he has no more episodes. What I find strange (but good) is that I haven't noticed ANYTHING else neurologic, and he seems totally normal when he isn't having an episode.

He definitely has a personality to match his handsomeness. :cool: He's never lived by the rules, so hopefully he'll continue to defy the odds. :yes:

Buffyblue
Nov. 21, 2009, 10:36 PM
Jingles for Ivan! I have a big orange kitty boy myself!

TKR
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'm a sucker for a cat -- especially the orange/red ones -- they just have a quirky personality (particularly Flip, my big neutered male). Prayers and jingles for Ivan.
God bless you for the care and love you give him.
PennyG

clairdelune
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:46 PM
Jingles for Ivan.He will be in our Prayers.

BasqueMom
Nov. 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
More jingles for Ivan!

sdlbredfan
Nov. 22, 2009, 01:45 PM
I hope this just turns out to be a transient thing (something forbidden he ate or walked through outside?) and not serious.

McVillesMom
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you all!

It figures that as soon as I get the camera set up to record video and charged, and I start watching him like a hawk, he stops doing weird stuff. :rolleyes: Isn't that just like a cat? No "episodes" since yesterday morning. Which is good, but I know they're all going to look at me like I'm crazy tomorrow...:sigh:

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it was pain/discomfort than neuro, though. He knew where all of his feet were the whole time (or he would have fallen off the cabinet) and he seems completely normal neurologically - jumping up on stuff with no problem, etc.

He doesn't go outside (none of them do) so no worries about getting into something...no diet changes either. He does occasionally vomit when it's getting close to feeding time...I think it must be like when I'm so hungry I'm nauseous. Maybe he just had a little upset stomach. It would figure that I would have a cat with ulcers :lol:

Anyway, thank you all :) We appreciate your thoughts! Please keep them coming until we (hopefully) figure out what's going on...

Noctis
Nov. 22, 2009, 04:47 PM
HUGE jingles for Ivan! He is a stunning cat...who is walking on a LEASH?! Too cool!

Zu Zu
Nov. 22, 2009, 05:45 PM
Jingles continue for IVAN !!!

McVillesMom
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
Semi-update: he saw his onco doctor this morning (who I LOVE, BTW, because she didn't make me feel like a freaky paranoid mom) and she can't find anything wrong with him. This is a Really Good Thing. Planning on a consult with neuro this afternoon, and hopefully they will say the same, at which point we will chalk it up to him being weird and just watch him.

Noctis - yes, he LOVES his leash. I got him at 6 weeks old - his mom was a farm cat, so he grew up outside. He adjusted very well to being an indoor cat, but he loves to go for walks outside and he knows his leash and harness are the ticket to outdoors. If I get the harness out, he runs to the door and starts meowing. :D In fact, we had a walk outside last night. He purrs so loud when he's out there that the leash vibrates :lol:

McVillesMom
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:25 PM
Update: Neurology thought he was boring. :cool: They found some mild lumbosacral pain, but apparently that's not unusual in middle aged kitties (or dogs, for that matter). I'm keeping him on his pred and watching him - if he has any more episodes we'll be doing some X-rays (and hopefully I'll be able to get video!)

Thanks for all your good wishes - COTH jingles worked again!

Zu Zu
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:04 AM
Good news - thanks for updating !!! Wishing Ivan and his owner a Happy Thanksgiving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!