PDA

View Full Version : My Great Pyrenees is still missing from Eastern SD.

Pages : [1] 2 3

clairdelune
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm posting this in a hope that other members may have any idea's, what else I can do to find my missing Dog.
On Wednesday night/Thursay early morning my 3year old GP went missing,she never really wanders far from our property and she had a petsafe collar,but we would take the collar off sometimes as it made her neck sore, and also if we kept it on too long,she would get too used to the shock and start going over her boundary,so we found if we took it off and put it on a week later,it would stop her doing this.
Now I'm so angry with myself as I think if only she had the collar on she may still be at home.
We have searched every where,sent out mass texts,called local vets,animal control and the sheriff dept in 2 counties,I work at one of them so it was easier to pass the word around.
My road is very quiet,,but some night's I believe drivers who have perhaps had too many at the bar take this route,so I worry she was hit by a car if she strayed past our driveway,which she had never done before.
She is a very large ,but is a extremely friendly dog,but would someone take her?I dont know what to think,as the days go by I'm loosing hope of finding her.
I can not bare to think of her laying alone and hurt somewhere,and my biggest hope now is that someone did take her and has given her a good home.
I will alway's be angry at myself for taking her collar off.
If anyone has any idea's what else I can do to try and find out where she is,or what could have happened.
Or if my loss ,and this posting will make other dog owners keep a collar on their dog,then my post is not in vain.
Sorry for the rambling.I'm heartbroken.

"To my Charlotte,may Angels lead you home."

ToiRider
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:02 PM
I would get permission from the neighbors to walk their property. My lab (who I inherited when I bought my farm recently - the owners just left him) went missing one night after he chased a rabbit off of my property. I found him 18 hours later. He was unable to come home on his own. He had chased the rabbit into the neighbor's HUGE pile of fallen trees and had fallen down into a hole in the pile. I kept calling him and thought I heard him bark only twice. I went in the direction of what I thought were his barks (there are tons of dogs in this area, so it was a crapshoot whether it was him). I found him only because I saw his head periodically as he tried to jump up to see me as I called him. I had to crawl out onto this huge jumbled mess of downed trees, drop a rope down around his torso and pull him out of it. He never would have made it out on his own.

I would start walking the surrounding property ASAP. Get as much help as you can to do it. I was new to my farm, and I had no idea that this jumbled pile of trees was behind my neighbor's buildings. I got lucky because he barked twice in response to my incessant calling.

ToiRider
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
Also, my parents GSD got stuck in an old barn of theirs for 3 days before someone found it. Dogs who aren't good jumpers can get themselves in places where they can't get out on their own. My parents' dog would wag her tail and try to come when called, but never barked to alert them to her position. Someone finally thought to check the old barn, which had one spot that was about three feet lower than the rest of the barn. She couldn't get out of that spot, which surprised everyone.

Good luck in your search.

allpurpose
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm hearbroken for you, and am putting the collars back on my dogs right now. Thank you for reminder, but I'm so sorry for the circumstances behind it.

Sending "finding" thoughts to you and your sweet doggie.

Fancy That
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:17 PM
We lost our parents' Toy Poodle here at the ranch while babysitting her. It was horrible! Turns out a neighbor scooped her up as she was seen heading down a hayfield towards the corner of a road that would be dangerous.

I put TONS OF FLYERS EVERYWHERE with a HUGE PHOTO of her. That's what got them to call me.

Yes - check the shelter, put an ad on CraigsList - but the most important thing is the flyers.

I even had one guy call and say "I saw that poodle on the posters. She was at Bannister and New at 7pm" He called just to let me know he had seen her trotting down the road.

Seems the other neighbor scooped her up right after that!

THe flyers work...try it

ReSomething
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:26 PM
I would get permission from the neighbors to walk their property. My lab (who I inherited when I bought my farm recently - the owners just left him) went missing one night after he chased a rabbit off of my property. I found him 18 hours later. He was unable to come home on his own. He had chased the rabbit into the neighbor's HUGE pile of fallen trees and had fallen down into a hole in the pile. I kept calling him and thought I heard him bark only twice. I went in the direction of what I thought were his barks (there are tons of dogs in this area, so it was a crapshoot whether it was him). I found him only because I saw his head periodically as he tried to jump up to see me as I called him. I had to crawl out onto this huge jumbled mess of downed trees, drop a rope down around his torso and pull him out of it. He never would have made it out on his own.

I would start walking the surrounding property ASAP. Get as much help as you can to do it. I was new to my farm, and I had no idea that this jumbled pile of trees was behind my neighbor's buildings. I got lucky because he barked twice in response to my incessant calling.

Ditto this. We found the neighbor's dog in a seep box (think septic tank but collecting spring water) that he had been in all night. We had heard him in the night but just chalked it up to the dog hunting something :( and it wasn't till the neighbor called us that DH went out with her and got him out. Also walk your roads. I hate to say this but if he is dead in a ditch in about a week he should start to smell and you will at least have closure.

I also cannot stress enough to personally visit the local AC or shelter. Your dog may be described as a Samoyed x or some such. Happened to me with my Blue Heeler x - described as Husky x.

Jingling very hard that he comes home!

clairdelune
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:46 PM
Thankyou everyone who has posted replies.I did not think of looking in the old barn that is on our property.
We have one field that has not been harvested yet,so I'm going to carefully walk that now.
I'm also going out on my Horse to search today,my Husband has been out on the 4wheeler,but from a horse I may be able to see more.

I'm also going to make some flyers,and put an ad in the local paper.
I just cannot rest until I find her either way. The thought of her being eaten by a wild animal makes me feel sick to the stomach.
She is my Baby,who would smile at me every day (yes she looked like she was smiling) she let's barn cats use her back as a mattress and lets them eat her food,she is the sweetest dog I have ever known.

Thankyou for your Jingles and well wishes.

vacation1
Nov. 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
There's a nonprofit devoted to missing pets that has a website with tips for finding lost dogs. Their experience seems to suggest a) blanketing the area with large, colorful flyers with a photo and b) persevering past the time when you think it's possible to recover the pet are both key to recovering a lost dog. Good luck! Having a dog lost has always been a nightmare of mine, and I can only imagine how you feel.

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-posters.php

Edgewood
Nov. 21, 2009, 02:41 PM
I guess a neighbor had lost a dog (not really a close by neighbor, but one within my town) and I received a telephone call from this company

http://www.findtoto.com/

It is a great idea. For a nominal fee, a computer phone list is generated and it phones all the local numbers with a certain geography with the dog's description.

I hope you find your dog!

pintopiaffe
Nov. 21, 2009, 02:47 PM
it can't hurt for us all to send our collective GO HOME!!! prayers, thoughts, vibes, whatever you want to call them...

Please go home Charlotte!

My2cents
Nov. 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
A local barn posted a similar story of a lost dog. They had a 'tracker' dog come to the property and unfortunately found the dog in a pile of leaves by the side of the road. The poor thing had been hit and killed by a car and left. Being that the dog was similarly colored as the leaves, people had been walking by the dog for a few days without seeing him. Don't leave any stone unturned. Did she have any dog friends that would help in the search? Good luck, I hope your girl has just gone 'walkabout' and comes home with a few stories to tell and in need of a good meal.

blueboo
Nov. 21, 2009, 03:05 PM
Also check any Pyr rescues that operate in your area - frequently they are contacted by animal control or citizens when one of these dogs is found.

If you are using her as a livestock (or even if you're not) guardian, she may very well have adopted one of your neighbors flocks/herds as part of her 'territory also - I'd check with them. A lot of Pyrs, feeling that they don't have enough to do, will 'extend' their territory to include whomever is around it (for miles) and try to guard all of those areas too. Also remember that these dogs tend to be nocturnal, so searching/calling in the late evening/early morning might prove to be more profitable

This is hunting season (at least in our area) and Charlie, (our big male Pyr) went over the pasture fence to bring home (thank God he brought it home) part of a cleaned deer carcass. He's now confined to the yard, which has a higher/sturdier fence until after deer season since the hunters tend to just leave the parts they don't want wherever, and I know of 2 carcasses that are just on the other side of a very active railroad track. (and yes, I could probably remove them, but they're everywhere now, and all I'd have to do is miss ONE, and there'd be a good chance he'd get hit.)

And I don't know, but virtually everything I have heard/read/been told says that the 'invisible' fences absolutely do not work reliably on these dogs - so when you find her, you might just want to take a look at a bit more conventional fencing for her.

Best of luck and lots of jingles, it's my own worst nightmare (I have two Pyrs)

EqTrainer
Nov. 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
Oh I am so sorry.. my big white spotty dog is probably half Pyr. He smiles, too. Charming.

I will be thinking good thoughts for her. They tend to be wanderers - mine stays home but I have heard it can be an issue.

Go home, Charlotte!

clairdelune
Nov. 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
Thankyou so much for your prayers and well wishes,and also the links to websites to find dogs.
I have now searched the old barns and slough,and have not found her or any sign of her being there.
What makes me really worry that she has been stolen is, I know she would not leave us at night,as always stays close to the house at night,and sleeps on the deck.
If she has been stolen we are hoping she will be taken to a local vet,because she has a slight limp after dislocating a leg a year ago,and if someone wants her for breeding (without papers Pyrenees will sell for about $200) I'm hoping they will think she has a new injury and want to get it checked...all most likely not going to happen,but it gives me hope:(

Come home Sweet Charlotte.

Aimee Thanatogenus
Nov. 21, 2009, 05:25 PM
Jingling for a safe return of your baby!!!!

Just some quick ideas:
-call and flyer all vets
-call and flyer all dog trainers/pet stores
-flyers in grocery stores, feed stores, and put up a craigslist LOST ad under pets and farm/garden as well as lost and found. It might be flagged, but at least it's out there. If you kindly ask for it not to be flagged, it might last a day.

-is the dog chipped? If so, keep a list of all vets and periodically call and see if she shows up. See if the company can flag her chip number. Or if they have an alert system.

Hope she makes it home safely!!!

Not to worry you, but I used to work for a man whose dog was taken while they were at church. Great barn/trail dog, so wonderful. I was off work that day and they came home and he was gone, no sign of him. Really sad and frustrating.

Zu Zu
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
Jingles for Charlotte to come home soon ~ keep looking !!! Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !

Cielo Azure
Nov. 21, 2009, 07:04 PM
I guess a neighbor had lost a dog (not really a close by neighbor, but one within my town) and I received a telephone call from this company

It is a great idea. For a nominal fee, a computer phone list is generated and it phones all the local numbers with a certain geography with the dog's description.

I love this idea.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!

I lost my seven year old Aussie last winter. She is a stay at home dog, extremely well trained, titled with stock, etc and she is only out when we are out but my husband was fixing something and we think she chased a deer offf the property. Thick trees all around and she was lost. Wandered for days. I printed 200 flyers and completed blanketed the two miles (at least) around our house. YES -I put them in mail boxes. I would get a call "I think I saw your dog last night" -rush over and she would be gone.

I called her for days, in the rain, below freezing temps. etc. I did everything possible.

At one point, we figured out we were 300 feet from her but just missed her when she took a turn up a dirt mountain road and then walked five miles or more.

She was found, with a limp by someone TEN miles away. She just sat on their door step until they let her in. They have a zillion dogs (like me), horses like me, and buffalo (I have a couple of jerseys). She finally just picked a place that looked safe to her.

They found my flyer in the local feed store days after she came into their.

Long story short... DON'T GIVE UP. OFFER A REWARD (big enough that the tomato head who thinks she is cute and picked her up will call you) and KEEP LOOKING and looking and looking.

I feel your pain...

chai
Nov. 21, 2009, 07:19 PM
Clairedelune, I am so sorry about your dear Charlotte. Please do not give up and please consider using the media. When I was a kid, our collie disappeared two days before Christmas. My parents were sure he was stolen. We put up fliers everywhere and my Dad owned an Advertising agency and had used our dog on the cover of a national catalog. He used that angle to send out press releases to local newspapers who picked up the story.
Four months later, a woman in a city about 10 miles from our home came upon a starving dog outside a department store. She was on her way to a luncheon, but she kindly picked up the dog and took him to a local vet where she left him and continued on to the lucheon.
She recounted the story of finding the emaciated collie to her friends at the luncheon and one woman remembered reading the article about the missing collie that had been on the cover of the Deerskin Trading Post catalog. They called the catalog company and they in turn contacted my Dad. We went to the vet's office that night and much to our amazement and joy, it was our dog. We had just about given up hope when this happened.
So please do not give up, and use the media to get pictures of your dog out there as well as your story. Jingling like crazy here, and hoping for good news in your next update.

mothermucker12
Nov. 21, 2009, 08:05 PM

yep my neighbor too, and he was found!! i had never heard of them before, but now i tell everyone

JohnDeere
Nov. 21, 2009, 09:04 PM
Many years ago my spaniel/sheltie cross (beautiful but STOOPID) dog got out of her pen during the fireworks. I put an ad in the paper & got a call she was 45 MIN away by car (wanna bet how she got there?) Went to get her and she "disappeared" from that lady callers house. 6 weeks later she showed up at the lady callers house again, clean, wellgroomed, and fat. Someone took that dog up there and someone kept her for a long time. I wont accuse but its a strange story. So it does happen that people take dogs.

Keep looking & we will keep jingling.

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
I don't have any other suggestions, but did wantto add my prayers to the list that she either returns home or is found soon.

AKB
Nov. 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
Keep posting flyers and keep calling the local shelters, as well as visiting the shelters. Make sure you include shelters that are a 1 hour drive from you. We lost our terrier one time when he followed a neighbor's lawn crew down our street. I think they took him home with them and tied him in their back yard. A week later, he was found wandering the streets of the town where they lived with a chewed rope tied to his collar. He was still wearing his collar, so the people who found him called us.

WombatCA
Nov. 21, 2009, 11:11 PM
I agree with the fliers. Use neighborhood kids to help put them in mailboxes. Go far afield from where you think she may be (she's been gone a few days and could have covered some ground). When I had to do this I put "Huge Reward" but no dollar amount (let them use their imaginations) and "needs medication" on the flier. I was hoping if someone had found or taken my dog they would worry she wasn't healthy and take her to a vet or call me for the reward. It worked and I got my very beloved old lab back.
Good luck to you. I know how heartbreaking this is.

Eventer55
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
I may have missed something, but where are you?

My husband flys for the Virginia Defence Force and if you have something like in your area, you can check with them and ask if any of the pilots could keep an eye out for you.

Buffyblue
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:59 AM
Jingles for the safe return of Charlotte.

clairdelune
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:48 PM
I spent yesterday searching on foot,I went in the corn rows as far as I could get without getting lost myself,and kept calling her in a hope that perhaps she was stuck somewhere,Charlotte is very loyal and I know she would try to get back to us.
We have notified all the neighbours and my next step is to put an ad in a couple of newspapers with a reward.
We have spoken to the Great Pyrenees rescue and although they are 5 hours away from us she did offer some hope,she told us of a GP who had wandered 80miles from home,and was found safe.
Today we are going to local bars,cafe's gas stations ect and will make sure everyone knows there is a big reward for her return or just good information.

Thankyou Eventer 55,we dont have any type of air patrol in this area,but I realised I had not posted where we are located,we are in Eastern South Dakota,a town called Arlington,which is 20miles from Brookings,Brookings is where SDSU is located.
Thankyou to all the COTH members who have sent jingles and are praying for Charlottes safe return..nights are hard for me as I start thinking of her alone and cold,and all your kind words give me hope that there are people who would care enough to give her shelter and find her owner.

Ebvann
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:56 PM
I know you will think I am weird but our old trainer used an animal communicator to find her lost dog several times ( and it worked) we have used Linda Thomas, she has a website...www.ispeakanimal.com..... worth a try... if dog is not alive she will not "hear" anything but if dog is alive, she may give you some ideas...she has been astonishing with conversations with my horses. good luck, I'll add a prayer for you.

clairdelune
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
Before I go out on another search I wanted to post a link to a photo of Charlotte,just so you can all see what a precious girl she is:

clairdelune
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:12 PM
Sorry here it is http://picasaweb.google.com/hjmke1/Charlotte#

Zu Zu
Nov. 22, 2009, 06:57 PM
Jingles continue for Charlotte ~ hoping for some good news here soon. Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Charlotte is beautiful!!!

vacation1
Nov. 22, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry here it is http://picasaweb.google.com/hjmke1/Charlotte#

So beautiful! Good luck! I'll put you and her in my prayers.

Zu Zu
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:06 AM
Bumping for update - any news ? - hoping Charlotte is found for Thanksgiving !

clairdelune
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:47 AM
Charlotte is still missing,I find it so hard that no one has seen her,despite all the flyer's and "lost" ads ,all we have received are scam emails.
I look for her every day and on my way to work at night,it is so hard just not knowing.
I just pray that if someone has taken her that they are looking after her and will love her as much as we do.

NMK
Nov. 24, 2009, 12:04 PM
As a fellow Pyr owner my heart breaks for you. I would contact the group closest to you. I remember our breeder recommending a microchip in case ours pup was "stolen." They are beautiful, lovable, dogs. One other thought is to contact your police dept and see if they know anyone with a tracking dog. One of our neighbors has a bloodhound that does all kinds of search work. Best of luck to you.

Nancy

Claddagh
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:17 PM
So sorry to hear that Charlotte is still missing. She is beautiful. I can only imagine what you must be going through.

Many jingles that she is somewhere safe and that you will be reunited very soon.

Zu Zu
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
So sorry to hear that Charlotte is still missing. She is beautiful. I can only imagine what you must be going through.

Many jingles that she is somewhere safe and that you will be reunited very soon.
What Claddagh said ~ thoughts and prayers continue & Jingles ~ AO !

ManyDogs
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:27 PM
Is it possible she is guarding another herd? Our first border collie was missing one day and she was down the road about a mile watching a herd of goats.
Prayers that Charlotte will come home. She is a beautiful girl.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:59 PM
Charlotte, GO HOME girl!!!

I wish I could do more, but I'm sending those GO HOME!!! Thoughts and prayers still!

I can't imagine. I'd be beside myself. The not knowing is the worst. :(

Aimee Thanatogenus
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:17 PM
What a beautiful face. I am praying for her safe return.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:20 PM
Not trying to be too depressing, but have you heard of any other missing dogs in the area? My uncle's boxer was stolen off a farm in MN and they found out many other large dogs were taken as well. They assume it was for a fight ring :-(

I just can't imagine anyone would steal a large dog, in general. My dobie male disappeared one afternoon (jumped the fence) and when I called the local rescues in a panic they told me not to worry that he'd been taken--nobody steals big dogs--too scary. He did have his tag with our name and phone number on (nothing else) and I got a call an hour later. Someone had brought him into their home and even though I was out yelling for him, I never would have found him (thank goodness! he was wandering down Western Ave) and maybe someone has taken in your dog in or started feeding her as a stray as well? And perhaps isn't inclined to call the animal shelters?

I like the media idea or putting up posters in all the local stores (grocery, etc.).

Rewards work wonders too.

Bluehorsesjp
Nov. 24, 2009, 03:09 PM
Can you have local radio stations mention that she is lost?

Keep calling shelters, sheriff's offices, vets offices just in case someone picked her up and doesn't know where to return her to.

Continuing to jingle for you.

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
Can you have local radio stations mention that she is lost?

Keep calling shelters, sheriff's offices, vets offices just in case someone picked her up and doesn't know where to return her to.

Continuing to jingle for you.

I second the daily calls to the shelters, etc. I say this because I had AC pick up what was a stray dog (blue heeler) in my yard (no collar or tags or chip), and found out 2 months later that she belong to one of the local farmers here (old school sort of guy, doesn't believe in collars or tags). He didn't come look for her, or call the pound to see if they had a dog like her, so she ended up being adopted out. Hopefully to a family that would take better care of her, and at least bother to go looking for her if she did wander again.

More jingles from FL on her safe return. Sad stories like these are really breaking my heart.

clairdelune
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:33 PM
We have called all local shelters and also the shelters in further away towns.
I have notified the sheriffs office in our county and the one in the next county is where I work,so I have the advantage of knowing first hand if any stray dogs are reported.
We do have a lot of out of state hunters who come to the house to ask about hunting on the adjacent land to us,that is a worry because Charlotte is very freindly with strangers, sfter she has seen us talk to them,and although stealing large dogs is not common,I worry that someone took a liking to her.
There have also been sightings of a large coyote,we hear the coyote's at night who are in our wetlands,but it would have to have been one very large coyote or a pack to have attacked her as she is a big Dog.

We have not received any information from our flyers and the only email from our ad in "lost&found" sections on CL and local news websites has been a scam email.
We only have 4 neigbours and they all know she is missing ,and have said they will watch out for her,there is one corn field that has not been harvested yet,I walked it as well as I could,if she has been killed then that is the only place I think she will be.

It is just so hard not knowing,I did think about contacting a psychic there are ones that advertise for finding lost pets,my Husband tells me it is a complete waste of money,but at the moment I just dont have any other ideas what to do.
Thankyou to all of you for the jingle and prayers,they are so appreciated.

Zu Zu
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:09 AM
Keep looking and calling and praying ~ Jingles continue - Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !!! Thoughts and prayers for you and your family during this MOST difficult time. Please come home sweet Charlotte.

clairdelune
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:57 AM
Thankyou ZuZu and everyone else.
I just hope my sweet Charlotte will be found,I miss her so much,it is nearly a week since she went,I just pray she is not in pain,that someone is caring for her,and loving her as much as we do,be it on earth or at Rainbow Bridge.

buschkn
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:26 AM
Clairdelune,

I am SOO sorry about your girl. I have a Pyr mix and 5 dogs total, and it makes me just SICK to think of one going missing and never knowing what happened. One was missing for 17h and it was awful.

I have been thinking about you a lot and was hoping for a happy update. I am a total skeptic, myself, but if it were me I would probably try the pyschic just for the hell of it.

Jingles like crazy that you find Charlotte- hopefully alive and happy to be home, but if she isn't then at least to know and have some closure. :( Best to you...

Bogie
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:45 AM
I am very sorry your dog hasn't been returned. I was hoping for good news.

Someone at a farm near here lost their dog and hired a professional tracker.

Sadly, the dog had been hit by a car and was not found alive but she said the work of the tracker and her dog was amazing.

I don't know if that's a resource you can find near you but it might be worth trying if you can find one.

buschkn
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
Oh yes, a tracker would be another good idea. At least you would have the closure of knowing one way or the other. That, to me, would be worth any price. I wonder how long after the disapperance they can still track?

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:22 PM
More prayers for your dear dog to come home safe and sound.

clairdelune
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have been looking online to try and find a tracker,but it seems there is not one in my area.
I have called the last of the ponds in a 100 mile radius,and have taken photo's of her to the local pound and humane society,just incase they have her but think she is a different breed.
I really dont know what else to do now,it is so hard just not knowing.
Today we had a small amount of snow,and more fear came back of her laying alone somewhere. It is now a week to the day she dissapeared,but I cannot give up trying to find her.

fivehorses
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:37 PM
I have been following this thread too.
All I can say is Charlotte had a wonderful human. I am so sorry you are going through this. I know I'd be nuts if it happened to me.

God bless, and I hope you can get some answers.
If it was a hunter who took a liking, is there anyway you can find out who the hunters were? Contact them, explain how much you miss her, etc.
If, by chance they took her, they might have thought she wasn't loved. I am sure Charlotte is not happy if she isn't home too, so finding out who or where they came from, contacting them, plus the pounds in their area too. They may have taken her, and then she became unmanagable so they either dumped her or took her to a pound. Just another source to try and check out.
In fact, since pounds try to contact rescues, contacting the great pyr rescues might be another source.
Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you and charlotte to find each other.

Bogie
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:00 PM
Is Charlotte your only dog? I ask because about two years ago my dogs got loose after I locked them in a stall (it turned out that my horse had opened his stall because he wanted to go in).

One of the dogs, my Westie Kirby, was wearing a leash. About two hours later I found my second dog Woolly, but there was not sign of Kirby. I knew his leash must have been caught up on something and since he isn't a barker, I didn't know how we'd find him. It was already dark and I was really starting to panic.

I finally realized that Woolly kept trying to go off in a direction away from our house and so I followed him. I found Kirby trapped in a dense thicket -- his leash caught on a bush.

I always thought Woolly wasn't the smartest dog (he's a Lhasa Apso or a mix) but he proved me wrong that day. He knew where his friend was.

We have a lot of trouble with coyotes and fisher cats in our woods so I really didn't want Kirby out over night.

I sincerely hope that you have a happy ending with Charlotte.

suz
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
still jingling for her safe return.

Zu Zu
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:53 AM
Jingles continue for Charlotte Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !

EqTrainer
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:06 PM
I keep hoping there will be a happy update on this thread...

if it's any encouragement, I had a cat go missing for a week. He was not usually a wanderer. I eventually found him, on my neighbors property. He had been treed.

Keep looking!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:19 PM
I have been looking online to try and find a tracker,but it seems there is not one in my area.
I have called the last of the ponds in a 100 mile radius,and have taken photo's of her to the local pound and humane society,just incase they have her but think she is a different breed.
I really dont know what else to do now,it is so hard just not knowing.
Today we had a small amount of snow,and more fear came back of her laying alone somewhere. It is now a week to the day she dissapeared,but I cannot give up trying to find her.

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but I will give you the contact info for a gal to talk to about search and rescue. I went to a Schutzund clinic at her place last summer and watched their S&R tracking group do demos (not Schutzund tracking--S&R style) and it was awesome. It may be too late--sorry--but I will post the info after I hear back (forgot the site and had to ask for it).

She will also know if there is anyone closer to where you are at you could talk to.

clairdelune
Nov. 27, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thankyou TrotTrot Pumpkn,if you can send me that # that would be excellent.
Today we are contacting Game Fish & Parks,I dont know why I did not think of that before.
I really want to say thankyou to everyone who is sending me jingles,prayers and well wishes,it is really keeping me going and not give up hope that she is alive.
Today I found a piece of her fur that had been left from when she was shedding,and her chew toy is in the same place she left it,I always expect her to come running down to greet me when I get home,her feed and water bowls are in the same place,my Husband wanted to move them and put tyhem away,but I cannot do that, it would be like giving up and I cannot do that.

Bogie
Nov. 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
Still jingling for you!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 27, 2009, 07:01 PM
Carol's website (the gal who does the SAR or search and rescue) is http://crazyhoundkennels.com/

She might have some ideas.

Good luck!

clairdelune
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:15 PM
Thankyou so much,I have just emailed Carol,I will let you know what she say's,when I hear back.

Zu Zu
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:21 PM
Jingles continue Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Come home Sweet Charlotte .

Gryhnd
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:53 PM
So sorry about Charlotte missing. She is beautiful!
Just wanted to second/third the idea of trying an animal communicator. I know our adoption group used to use them when a dog was missing.
I haven't personally talked to one about a missing dog, but we have talked to several over the years and the one we just talked to about a month ago was, I feel, the best we had ever talked with. I definitely recommend her.

I know some of them won't do lost/missing dogs, but I checked her website and it looks like she does as she has it listed. Might be worth a try, not too expensive. Website is animalscantalk.com. Will be thinking good thoughts that Charlotte is safe and sound and will be back with you soon.

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but I will give you the contact info for a gal to talk to about search and rescue. I went to a Schutzund clinic at her place last summer and watched their S&R tracking group do demos (not Schutzund tracking--S&R style) and it was awesome. It may be too late--sorry--but I will post the info after I hear back (forgot the site and had to ask for it).

She will also know if there is anyone closer to where you are at you could talk to.

I emailed Carol and she said that they can only search for people,she did mention a man that may be able to help,but did not know his email,so I'm searching for that.
We have notified Game Fish and Parks in a hope they have seen her,at the moment we do think she was taken.
Thankyou very much for giving me Carol's information.

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
So sorry about Charlotte missing. She is beautiful!
Just wanted to second/third the idea of trying an animal communicator. I know our adoption group used to use them when a dog was missing.
I haven't personally talked to one about a missing dog, but we have talked to several over the years and the one we just talked to about a month ago was, I feel, the best we had ever talked with. I definitely recommend her.

I know some of them won't do lost/missing dogs, but I checked her website and it looks like she does as she has it listed. Might be worth a try, not too expensive. Website is animalscantalk.com. Will be thinking good thoughts that Charlotte is safe and sound and will be back with you soon.
Thankyou very much for this information,I have just emailed Latifa,I had found another web site with communicators,but I was concerned about setting up a phone appointment with them as all they seemed to be concerned with was getting a credit card number for payment.
I so hope she can help me.
We do think she was taken,too many people we have contacted to find her have thought this too,so I'm starting to think this is what happened,and I hate the thought of her being unhappy.

shea'smom
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:34 PM
I lost a cat. He got in a boarder's car, and then the next morning got out at her office. He holed up at a house with other cats for a week while the owners were out of town.
I got him back through an ad in the paper. Also, did call an animal communicator. she was correct about several things although it did not help me find him.
Best of luck to you.
I would offer a big reward and put in in papers all over. I am sorry, I did not read the whole thread, so maybe some of this was suggested already.
Did you try Lassie come home?

Claddagh
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:53 PM
I am so sorry that your precious Charlotte is still not home. I have to agree with everyone who has thought that she was most probably taken by someone, especially since there have been no sightings in all of this time. She's a big girl and you would think that someone would have seen her if she was still in the area.

I agree with shea'smom about offering a BIG reward. That may be the deciding factor for the person who has her on whether to keep her or give her back. Money talks (unfortunately) but if that's what it will take, I'd offer as much as you can. And I'd plaster that reward amount on posters everywhere, newspapers, local tv spot (if you can get it), just anywhere that people will see it. If she was taken, maybe somebody knows something and the dangling of the *carrot* (big money) in front of their noses, so-to-speak, may just be the trick that it will take for them to turn the guilty party in!

Meanwhile, I will keep jingling for your and poor Charlotte.

Gryhnd
Nov. 29, 2009, 03:29 PM

I agree with shea'smom about offering a BIG reward. That may be the deciding factor for the person who has her on whether to keep her or give her back. Money talks (unfortunately) but if that's what it will take, I'd offer as much as you can. And I'd plaster that reward amount on posters everywhere, newspapers, local tv spot (if you can get it), just anywhere that people will see it. If she was taken, maybe somebody knows something and the dangling of the *carrot* (big money) in front of their noses, so-to-speak, may just be the trick that it will take for them to turn the guilty party in!

Agree. Also what someone else had mentioned, say she needs medication (I don't think there could be a downside to saying that) and maybe also "no questions asked - just please contact with any info on her".
I guess I find it a little odd that someone would take a dog when there are so many dogs available right now, free, or rescue/shelters, more than usual due to the economy. I thought lately there is more of a problem of unwanted dogs, than dogs being stolen (?).

Keeping my fingers crossed that Latifah can help you in some way.

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 04:56 PM
I have spoken with Latifah,she told me Charlotte is lost,she gave me a description of where she is,we went looking within the radius that she said she was in,but could not find her,she said that Charlotte is going to try and find her way home tonight,if we cannot find her.
She told me Charlotte told her a man,a construction worker gave her food,she also said that Charlotte told her that her front leg hurt,now Charlotte dislocated her leg last year and has always had a limp.
I just hope Charlotte can find her way home tonight.

Latifah,called me so I didnot even pay for the call,at the end of the conversation I asked her how I paid her ,credit card ect,and she told me she will not take payment for locatiing lost animals.

Zu Zu
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
Sending HUGE JINGLES for Charlotte to make her way home safely tonight. Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !! Be careful on your trip home sweet Charlotte. Please keep searching for her ~ thinking of you and sending "Good Luck" during this impossible time.

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thankyou Zu Zu,I hope Charlotte can find her way home.

dalpal
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
I keep waiting to hear a happy ending on this thread...please keep us posted.

suz
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:53 PM
me too, i've had a good experience with an ac when my cat was lost. he told me to visualise her coming to me, talking to her in my imagination and guiding her home. i did what he suggested and she came home a week later. she had definatly been lost, was very skinny after a month gone and very,very anxious.
i sure hope your girl comes home tonight, i know the helpless loss you are feeling.

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:54 PM
After talking to Latifah the communicator,I really believe that Charlotte will be found,and as soon as she is I will post that she is home,you have all been so kind with the post,jingles and prayers.

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
Latifah told me to do that,to say out loud 'come home Charlotte' and to say we are not angry that she is lost,Charlotte asked her if we are angry,Latifah told her no,we just want her home and she is not in trouble.

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:12 PM
OH, I pray she comes home for you. Maybe if we all think the same thing, to let her know that you need her.

buschkn
Nov. 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm sending out my loudest mental "Go Home Charlotte" I can. Jingling like crazy...

christeeni
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:18 PM
My heart aches for you, Clairdelune, and I'm jingling like crazy in Arizona.

I started a group for Charlotte and I'd like to invite everyone following this thread to http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=CHAR and please light a candle to help Charlotte find her way home.

Go home Charlotte...

Buffyblue
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
I really hope she finds you tonight!

P.S. Thanks for the candle link! I lit a candle for Charlotte and posted the link on my Twitter page. You never know . . .

shea'smom
Nov. 29, 2009, 10:17 PM
Another tip I read when I lost a cat. Go out at midnight and dawn and call your pet. I did that once when a cat was gone for 4 days. The fourth morning at 6 am, I went and walked the neighborhood and called her. I went back home and a few minutes later one of the dogs barked and she was sitting outside the door.
I lit a candle for Charlotte to come home tonight!

clairdelune
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:54 PM
My heart aches for you, Clairdelune, and I'm jingling like crazy in Arizona.

I started a group for Charlotte and I'd like to invite everyone following this thread to http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=CHAR and please light a candle to help Charlotte find her way home.

Go home Charlotte...

Thankyou for all the candles that have been lit for Charlotte.
I'm praying that tonight she finds her way home.

clairdelune
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:03 AM
Thankyou Christeeni.
Here is a photo of Charlotte smiling.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hjmke1/Charlotte02#5409741793623932738

lovemyoldguy
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:16 AM
Charlotte is beautiful. I can't imagine how frantic you must be right now. I've lit a candle for Charlotte and will be jingling for her safe return.

christeeni
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:22 AM
Oh, she is just adorable! I hope with all of my being that she finds her way home to you safe and sound.

Zu Zu
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
Bumping up for any update ? Jingles continue ~ please some good news soon ! Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !!! Come home Charlotte !

Timex
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:32 AM
jingles for charlotte!!!!

clairdelune
Nov. 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
Today I was hoping Charlotte had found her way home,as I turned in the driveway I was hoping I would see her come running to greet me.
And with a heavy heart I went in the house knowing it was just another day that Charlotte is still missing.

To my sweet Charlotte, listen to your Angels guiding you home.

Gryhnd
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'm so sorry she was not there to greet you. But don't give up hope. Maybe she was not comfortable traveling in the dark. Can you go out and look for her again today?

clairdelune
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm so sorry she was not there to greet you. But don't give up hope. Maybe she was not comfortable traveling in the dark. Can you go out and look for her again today?

Yes I will go out today,I really feel that she is near to one of the places we visited yesterday.
I do so hope today will be the day she returns.

Zu Zu
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:10 PM
Sending Good Luck for your search today - AO ~ Always Optimistic ! And of course ~ "J"igantic Jingles for Charlotte and her owner !

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:50 PM
Sending more jingles your way, hope you find your lovely girl and that you never have to experience this heartache again.

Aimee Thanatogenus
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
Not that relying on angels isn't hopeful.

Relying on the better angels of people's character might be more helpful. Have you papered coffe shops, construction sites, asked contractors if anyone has found a dog on site, etc?

This dog could be at home with a new person, you don't know.

Hoping for angels and animal communicators may make you feel better, but it isn't going to bring your dog home. I lost a dog and if it wasn't for calling AC time and time again and finally one staff member recalled someone called in a found dog, I'd never see one of my dogs again.

Be proactive. I'm only glad the AC didn't charge you!!!

Jingling for Charlotte!

FalseImpression
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:55 PM

Relying on the better angels of people's character might be more helpful. Have you papered coffe shops, construction sites, asked contractors if anyone has found a dog on site, etc?

Hoping for angels and animal communicators may make you feel better, but it isn't going to bring your dog home. I lost a dog and if it wasn't for calling AC time and time again and finally one staff member recalled someone called in a found dog, I'd never see one of my dogs again.

Jingling for Charlotte!

You sure know how to be positive on any thread!

Aimee Thanatogenus
Dec. 1, 2009, 05:27 AM
You sure know how to be positive on any thread!

Because I don't believe that anything much other than hard work and perseverance lead to success?

It's very easy to sit behind your keyboard and make assumptions. Shame on you for your negativity.

jubilee43
Dec. 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
Jingles for your Charlotte! We have a GP as well and on occasion, he leaves us. We will find him laying on someone else's porch or driveway. They are always thrilled to have such a big white teddy bear dog at their house and even tho he has a tag with all the details, will often keep him for hours just for the novelty of it, I think. When we go get him, they seem almost sorry to have called us. However our town is small enough that someone will eventually notify us that there is a GP at such and such address, since they are a very hard-to-hide breed. I know what an empty spot you must have in your life without her right now..

clairdelune
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:30 AM

Jingling for Charlotte!

Yes we have done all the calling ,flyers,in this county and further away,I'm not sitting at my computer hoping someone will find her for me and bring her back to me.
I work nights ,and day's are spent looking for Charlotte,a amimal communicator was something I did when I did not know what more I could do.
I miss Charlotte terribly and will go on searching,but if it was not for the internet,I would not be able to reach the people I have to make them aware and ask them to look out for her.

NMK
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:46 AM
I am so sorry she has not been found yet. I have a 7 month Pyr and my heart aches for you. He smiles like Charlotte. I know my Pyr would try and fit in with any family--he luffs everyone. That is my hope for Charlotte, until she finds her way back to you.

Does anyone know if a microchipped dog can be tracked using a GPS type system?

moonriverfarm
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
All I can offer is a cyber hug and prayers that wherever Charlotte is, she is warm and safe. And that she WILL find her way HOME. I know the pain and panic of having a lost dog all too well.
And IMHO, calling an AC and asking for the angels help IS proactive. Sitting in judgment ISN'T.

clairdelune
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:03 AM
All I can offer is a cyber hug and prayers that wherever Charlotte is, she is warm and safe. And that she WILL find her way HOME. I know the pain and panic of having a lost dog all too well.
And IMHO, calling an AC and asking for the angels help IS proactive. Sitting in judgment ISN'T.

Thankyou,today we went further afield and posted at Dairy plants in a hope that one of the truck drivers may have seen her,we did get some information that she was picked up by a truck driver who was taking our road to avoid some construction,we dont really know if this happened,but we can only hope that he will want to bring her back to her home ,and will see one of our flyers in a gas station.
We dont really know if this is true but I will go on searching.
Thankyou to everyone on COTH who has given us support.

shea'smom
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
Did you put a reward on it? Keep going back to where you heard someone may have picked her up. Tell them there is a reward, no questions asked.
Good luck!!!! I know this is heart wrenching.

sdlbredfan
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:56 AM
That is a lead! ('we did get some information that she was picked up by a truck driver ') That is also much better news than thinking of her lying in a ditch somewhere. Where there is life, there is hope, and let's hope she will find her way back home. Was she wearning a collar, and tag with your phone number? (sorry if that question was answered earlier...)
Jeanie

Zu Zu
Dec. 2, 2009, 09:46 AM
Jingles continue for Charlotte - keep pushing & searching ~~~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !!! Thinking of you ~ stay strong !!!!!

Dec. 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
we did get some information that she was picked up by a truck driver who was taking our road to avoid some construction.

Post Charlotts story on a truckers forum. I'll bet Bob Hubbard knows where to point you on that track.

clairdelune
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:01 PM
That is a lead! ('we did get some information that she was picked up by a truck driver ') That is also much better news than thinking of her lying in a ditch somewhere. Where there is life, there is hope, and let's hope she will find her way back home. Was she wearning a collar, and tag with your phone number? (sorry if that question was answered earlier...)
Jeanie
We have put very large reward on the flyers..the lead we had was a truck driver from the cheese plant picked her up,the source we got it from was not that reliable,but I have hope.
I found out where the delivery's to the plant come and go to,and they are MN, IA, and NE.As you are in Omaha (this is really clutching at straws)but if by chance you hear of someone selling a GP that is not a puppy,please would you PM me,I know the chance of it is very small,as NE is large and so are the other states,but it gives me some more hope.and also for COTH members is IA and MN,if you just see an ad that could be her,just so I can do some inquiries.
I'm really hoping if this lead is true,they will see my flyers at the plant when they are back ,and will contact me. Thankyou.

clairdelune
Dec. 2, 2009, 12:05 PM
Post Charlotts story on a truckers forum. I'll bet Bob Hubbard knows where to point you on that track.

Thankyou very much for this information,I have a distant neighbour who is a trucker,he know's Charlotte is missing,but I''m going to ask him to take some flyers with him,and put them in rest areas ect,places truckers frequent.

Amyy
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:10 PM
Here is one of the most popular trucker forums
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum

Perhaps you could post under the "questions from the general public" section?

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
Maybe you can also use this service? Not cheap, but priceless if it gets results:

http://www.amberpetalert.com/

Sending more jingles your way.

christeeni
Dec. 2, 2009, 03:44 PM
Might not be a bad idea to put up a lost ad on Craigslist in every city in each of those states as well?

Jingling...

moonriverfarm
Dec. 2, 2009, 04:01 PM
Jingling for Charlotte wherever she is! COME HOME GIRL!

NMK
Dec. 2, 2009, 05:19 PM
If that lead is legit then I would put a flyer in every truck stop close to you. There is a big one by my house that has a huge yard and facilities. We have a TA and a Pilot at the same intersection. Usually they are close to an interstate connection. When I hug my Pyr I think of you, and try and channel her home.

Nancy

Zu Zu
Dec. 2, 2009, 08:32 PM
Is it possible to find a truck stop with radio messaging capabilities to put out an all alert notice ~ CB radio ??? There must be some type of communication system that all truckers use ~ how about the highway patrol? Someone must know how to get this HELP NEEDED message out ???????

Gryhnd
Dec. 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
I just remembered about a greyhound being lost due to a car accident his family was in almost a year ago in NM (they live in another state). I went back to check the posts (greyhound forum), and saw these comments re: truckers:

..."it is NOT unusual for truckers to pick up a stray at one sight and while they have the best intentions - it gets loose on them at another."

..."said that the truckers pick up stray dogs often, but then the dog will run away later down the road b/c they don't watch them very closely. She said that truckers always feed the dogs, so if he was picked up, or he's at truck stops, he will be taken care of nicely."

Granted a greyhound is much more likely to get loose and be gone in an instant than a GP, but for what it is worth.

Also, a few posts mention a "pet detective" helping them search. Perhaps that's something you can google and see if there are any around.

Also, is there a GP forum? I would think there must be and perhaps you can post about her missing on there also.

shea'smom
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:03 AM
I checked though Craigslist yesterday all around SD. That is something we could all help with and any lost dog sites. Here we have lassiecomehomenc.org Is there a branch out there?

Zu Zu
Dec. 3, 2009, 11:44 AM
Jingles continue for Charlotte and her owner --- Jingle Jignle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO Always Optimistic !!! Come on Charlotte let someone know where you are sweet girl !!!! Thoughts and prayers.

clairdelune
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:19 PM
I have registered with a Truckers Forum,and was reading some of the postings on the pet forum they have and it seems that not many carriers allow pets in the cabs so hopefully I can reach someone on there that has heard about a trucker with a new dog,especially as she is not an everyday breed and would draw some attention,I also worry that if she has been taken by a well meaning truck driver, that she run's off when he stops at a truck stop,but on the other hand,Charlotte is such a loving Dog that she would hopefully stay with him/her,especially if he is feeding her,or would she have an instinct to try and get home,I just dont know.
I heard from a lady I had not heard from in a while which was really out of the blue,a long time ago she bought some furniture from me and sometimes emailed me with different forwards,well she sent me a photo of their truck,which was decorated for christmas,she travels with her husband all other the country,so I took the opportunity to email a flyer and ask her to post it at all the truck stops/rest areas they stop at.

On a sad note,on Tuesday morning a Dog was shot and killed about 2 mile's away from our house,the owner had let his dogs out the house when he got back from work,heard gunshots and found his dog had been shot,on his own property,a pickup was seen driving away,the owner took the dog immediatly to the vets but they could not save him.I just hope my lead is right and I can somehow reach the person who has her.

sdlbredfan
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:22 PM
I just saw the note about me being on the lookout in the Omaha area, and will be glad to check the Nebraska humane society website, and the omaha craigslist for you. Edited to add, I checked them both yesterday, nada, sorry.
Jeanie

Zu Zu
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:02 PM
clairdelune ~ another load of Jingles for you ~ keep searching ! Don't give up ~ chin up ! Jingle Jingle Jingle and AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !!!!

birdsong
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:26 PM
Is it possible to find a truck stop with radio messaging capabilities to put out an all alert notice ~ CB radio ??? There must be some type of communication system that all truckers use ~ how about the highway patrol? Someone must know how to get this HELP NEEDED message out ???????

Truckers love their radios..this sounds like a great idea to me. Befriend a few truckers at nearby truck stops and have them put out the call....they really do work like a network...and most will do anything to help someone in need.
Call all the factories that have drivers....
Post a huge billboard type sign on your road if thats where the trucker passed who may have picked him up.

It will work!! My thoughts are with you.

shea'smom
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
The bill board is a GREAT idea! do you think you could word all flyers, etc that make it sound like the trucker could have picked her up because she was "lost"? And not stolen? Makes it easiier to return her.
JINGLE!!! Come home Charlotte!

hastyreply
Dec. 6, 2009, 06:50 PM
I just saw this and am sorry your GP is missing. I have one and while I am fond of him, he's a frustrating fellow. Coming from someone who has border collies and poodles a GP is a big change. He lives with my sheep but he is an escape artist. or really just a heck of a digger. It's sporatic too. I'd love to let him loose but there is to much traffic near by and the neighbors have lost 3 GPs on the highway (working in #s 4 and 5). Mine just can't seem to help himself when he's out with the sheep (out of their pen) to not go "walk about". I just hope he comes back. Short of standing over him the whole time I can't be sure he'll stay. Some days he will then suddenly he'll be gone.

Hope you find yours soon. I'm taken my with me if I'm ever sent to prison as I know he'll dig us out of there quickly.

Zu Zu
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
Another load of Jingles for Charlotte and her owner - Jingle Jingle Jingle ~ AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Keep calling !!! Thinking of all involved ! Come home Sweet Charlotte !!!!!

clairdelune
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:30 PM
I just saw the note about me being on the lookout in the Omaha area, and will be glad to check the Nebraska humane society website, and the omaha craigslist for you. Edited to add, I checked them both yesterday, nada, sorry.
Jeanie

Thankyou Jeanie,I really appreciate you looking.
We have had no leads at all,I have emailed Great Pyrenees rescues,and will keep emailing them.
I do not think Charlotte is in my area anymore,I have had no luck with the truckers forum either,I worded my post very nice,and I'm just hoping that perhaps an Animal lover Trucker will pass my message on.

Zu Zu
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:40 PM
Keep the faith ~ dogs have been returned or arrived home after longer periods of time than this -- Jingles ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !

clairdelune
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:42 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/hjmke1/CharOtteFlyer#5412474225090184658

This is a new flyer that I was sent from a website where Charlotte is listed,I know they have already sent them to vet's in my area.
I looked at the Amber pet alert site and they do not send the alerts more than 100 miles,I have sent photo's as far as IL.I keep asking the Great Pyrenees rescues to watch out for her too,I just dont know how long my info will be kept ,and I'm most likely irritating some rescues with my persistant emails,but I just will not give up looking.

Bogie
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:18 PM
I so hope you get good news soon!

Zu Zu
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:51 PM
Great job on your flyer !!! The rescue sites are used to PERSISTENT - only way to be with this terrible situation. Keep Pushing - Thinking of you and Charlotte and hoping for some good news soon.

birdsong
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:56 PM
Truckers love their radios..this sounds like a great idea to me. Befriend a few truckers at nearby truck stops and have them put out the call....they really do work like a network...and most will do anything to help someone in need.
Call all the factories that have drivers....
Post a huge billboard type sign on your road if thats where the trucker passed who may have picked him up.

It will work!! My thoughts are with you.

DID you put up a huge home made sign on your road? I have found many dogs with signs! Please think of doing this. People who see it will remember and tell others....and the trucker or person who took your friend will probably see it too!

shea'smom
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:58 PM
Forgot to suggest, check with animal control every day. They are usually bad about calling owners, even if they have the info.
Hang in there.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
Dang, I was really hoping for better news. More jingles for Charlotte to come home.

Gryhnd
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:32 PM
Forgot to suggest, check with animal control every day. They are usually bad about calling owners, even if they have the info.
Hang in there.

Yes, I read that on advice for finding a lost greyhound - need to keep calling animal control and the police, I believe they suggested on a daily basis as stated above. I imagine that can get very difficult to do.

You mentioned earlier about the lead that a trucker from the plant took her and that you found out where the trucks go - is there any chance you could contact someone at the plant/location they go, and have them post a flyer on the wall or something? So if the trucker has her and gets there, he'd find out where she belongs (and bring her back!) ?

Milocalwinnings
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
Have you posted an ad in the newspaper yet? If not I'd do that ASAP. And also continue to post flyers anywhere and everywhere.

I"m sure you've done this, but call all the vet offices in your area, and maybe also put an alert out to breeders.

Tommy's Girl
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
Try asking the local trucker diners/hang-outs if you can put a flyer on their tables for a few days - tell them about your lead and that perhaps one of their customers may be looking for Charlotte's owner.

At the very least talk to a waitress or two (pull their heart strings) - they will know everyone who comes in/out and will ask around. Tell them about the reward, and give them a tip for their attention when you talk to them.

Good luck to you - I truly hope you find your dog.

Tommy's Girl
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
I also want to add that when I lived in Los Angeles, the scrawniest, saddest kitten came to my door. I picked him up and took him to the vet, only to find out that he was five or so and EMACIATED. A flyer on a light post alerted me to who he was - that flyer was posted eight months before I found the cat, but as it was laminated, it lasted. I was able to reunited him with his owner. Moral? Paste flyers everywhere. Gas stations, diners, supermarkets, etc. Start at the end of your drive - it's amazing how clueless some people can be, and not know this sweet, big white dog belongs three doors down...

GL

Zu Zu
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
Jingles continue for Charlotte and her owner. Jingle Jingle Jingle ~ AO ~ AO ~ AO & Always Optimistic ! Keep her picture and story out there ~ someone will recognize her.

fooler
Dec. 10, 2009, 12:54 PM
I also want to add that when I lived in Los Angeles, the scrawniest, saddest kitten came to my door. I picked him up and took him to the vet, only to find out that he was five or so and EMACIATED. A flyer on a light post alerted me to who he was - that flyer was posted eight months before I found the cat, but as it was laminated, it lasted. I was able to reunited him with his owner. Moral? Paste flyers everywhere. Gas stations, diners, supermarkets, etc. Start at the end of your drive - it's amazing how clueless some people can be, and not know this sweet, big white dog belongs three doors down...

GL

Very True! I, as the new neighbor in farmette community, adopted a very cute calico cat who wandered up to our farm. Showed cute kitty to neighbor (from across the street) who recognized her kitty immediately. Kitty had left home because of her Mother's kitties who living with there until Mom & Dad could get settled in their new digs.
So definitely post laminated flyers all around! Folks move in and out all of the time & don't always know who belongs to which 'stray' animal.

sketcher
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:26 AM
Also, start googling for adult female Pyrenees in case she was picked up and traveled a distance before being brought to a shelter. You'll get a fair bit of hits and some of them will be sites like Oodle that consolidate ads from different places. It looks like some rescues and shelters post ads on some of these sites and there are often pictures.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+great+pyrenese+female+adult&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

moonriverfarm
Dec. 15, 2009, 06:10 PM
Bumping for Charlotte!

Zu Zu
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
Jingles continue for Charlotte and her owner ~ Come Home Sweet Charlotte ~ AO Always Optimistic !

Zu Zu
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
Jingles continue for Charlotte - AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
Add more of my jingles for Charlotte to come home for Christmas.

Zu Zu
Dec. 31, 2009, 03:49 PM
Sending New Year's Jingles for Charlotte and her owner - may 2010 bring Sweet Charlotte home. Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Thoughts and prayers for a homecoming and some healing in the year to come. Hugs !

Gryhnd
Dec. 31, 2009, 06:20 PM
Sending New Year's Jingles for Charlotte and her owner - may 2010 bring Sweet Charlotte home. Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Thoughts and prayers for a homecoming and some healing in the year to come. Hugs !

My sentiments also, thanks Zu Zu!

clairdelune
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
Happy new year to everyone.

We will never give up our search for Charlotte,I think about her everyday and pray that she is being loved as much as we love her.
I really do not know what else I can do to find her,I continue with the emails to rescues and the searches of local land,the corn field was harvested opposite our property,I know I need to walk the whole area,but I have a fear I will find her body and I dont know how I can deal with that. It may seem like sticking my head in the sand,but in my mind I have the vision of her beautiful face, and hope that she is alive.

A GP rescue contacted me about adopting a female,I got as far as filling out the adoption papers,but just cannot bring myself to have another GP,I would feel like I was trying to replace Charlotte,and I can never do that,when I read the requirements that are needed to adopt I also started thinking that perhaps my land was not secure enough for Charlotte,most of the rescues require a 6ft fence,my fence is only about 3ft,perhaps if I had had a 6ft fence Charlotte would still be here.

Bogie
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:20 PM
I really hope you find her.

Please don't blame yourself. It sounds like you gave her a wonderful and loving home.

clairdelune
Jan. 1, 2010, 06:45 PM
I find it hard not to blame myself,I know I should have had her micro chipped,I should have locked her in the barn at night,I also get well meaning people telling me I should have put her in a kennel or chained her up! but I could not do that to a dog,but I may still have her now if I had.
All the rescues tell me she should have been well fenced in,I just do not know of many farms or ranches that have a 6ft fence around them!
I think I have contacted every GP rescue in the country,I check on Humane society websites every week as far as TX,with her limp we dont think she could have travelled far on her own,so I do think she was taken, and I can only hope that she will be recognised one day, it is a long shot but it keeps my hopes alive.

Aimee Thanatogenus
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
If I am fuzzy on details, forgive me, but if she was picked up by a truck driver, have you contacted the company who might use your road as a route? Maybe you can find the person who picked her up?
I couldn't even contemplate adoption until I'd run fliers with a massive reward all over the place.
I sure hope she comes home, she's a sweet girl.
Don't feel bad about chipping, people who take dogs don't always take them to a vet/shelter, and not all vets check routinely, as well.
Keep a list on you cell phone of all rescues/shelters around your area and along your trucker's route. You just never know.

I lost a dog years ago, she wandered up to a new neighbors house, stupid mistake on my part, I left a small side gate ajar, and they kept her for a few days. They called AC to let them know she was found. I called multiple times and suddenly they recalled this person's phone call.

Perhaps paper the neighborhood with requests for neighbors to recall when they saw her last, with whom, or anything that can help track her down. You never know, someone may have peeked out there window and saw something else.

I think about Charlotte often, she reminds me of one of my dogs, that face, those eyes.

Keeping you and Charlotte in my thoughts.

p.s. Use searchtempest.com for all Craig's List searches. It's faster

Bogie
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:26 PM
My dogs aren't chipped either. And the micro chip only works if the dog is brought into a location where they can be read.

As for the 6' fence . . . well, not to bash rescues but most of them have these kinds of recommendations -- very few people have the ability to put a 6' fence around their property. I adopted both of my dogs and the shelters wanted us to have a fenced in yard. We don't.

The times my dogs have gotten out it was because someone let them out the front door, not because they were wandering.

You cannot second guess yourself. From what you've written you are a highly responsible and caring dog owner.

clm08
Jan. 1, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am sorry that you haven't found Charlotte yet.

Several years ago we gave our yellow lab to some friends who lived on a 800 acre farm, and on a very hot summer day they took their visiting grandkids to go berry picking a ways away from their house. They rode their gator, and their dogs, 2 GSD and our lab followed them as they usually did. On the way back only the 2 GSD showed up at home, so they went out looking for the lab everywhere. They searched for several days and couldn't find her. Two months later, when they cleared the corn fields, they found her remains. We think she had a heart attack or heat stroke and went down in the corn fields when returning home. It was very sad, but finding her brought us all closure.

I hope your search has a happier ending than ours.

Zu Zu
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:00 PM
This was an accident that Charlotte went missing. An accident ~ micro -chip/ fence ~ an accident = no fault involved. Please be kind to yourself . We all hope that Charlotte is being loved where ever she is as much as she was loved by you at HOME ----and until she gets home ! Keep the faith ! Jingles for your broken heart ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Sweet Charlotte would not like to see you so upset ~ just wants you to keep trying to find her and get her HOME. Hugs to you during this impossible time.

clairdelune
Jan. 1, 2010, 09:22 PM
If I am fuzzy on details, forgive me, but if she was picked up by a truck driver, have you contacted the company who might use your road as a route? Maybe you can find the person who picked her up?
I couldn't even contemplate adoption until I'd run fliers with a massive reward all over the place.
I sure hope she comes home, she's a sweet girl.
Don't feel bad about chipping, people who take dogs don't always take them to a vet/shelter, and not all vets check routinely, as well.
Keep a list on you cell phone of all rescues/shelters around your area and along your trucker's route. You just never know.

I lost a dog years ago, she wandered up to a new neighbors house, stupid mistake on my part, I left a small side gate ajar, and they kept her for a few days. They called AC to let them know she was found. I called multiple times and suddenly they recalled this person's phone call.

Perhaps paper the neighborhood with requests for neighbors to recall when they saw her last, with whom, or anything that can help track her down. You never know, someone may have peeked out there window and saw something else.

I think about Charlotte often, she reminds me of one of my dogs, that face, those eyes.

Keeping you and Charlotte in my thoughts.

p.s. Use searchtempest.com for all Craig's List searches. It's faster
Thankyou for the tip to searching Craig's list, it gets very time consuming going through all the cities.
We contacted the trucking company,put flyers in the lounge,I found out from going on truckers forums that a lot of companies do not allow animals in the cab of the truck,so we realised that it was unlikely that talking directly to the truckers would get any info, our only hope is that we would get a phone call from the info on the flyers, I also offered rewards for information hoping that may get some response.

No I could never think of getting another Dog ,I filled out the application but that was as far as I went,there are so many GP's on "Petfinder.com" and so many that look like Charlotte,each time I see another listed my heart skips a beat just hoping that it is Charlotte.
I did have a call from a rescue in IL ,they thought they had Charlotte but after sending more photo's to them they realised it was not her, they were as upset as I was when we found out it was not Charlotte.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 1, 2010, 10:29 PM
I'm so sorry that she has not been found, my heart breaks for you.

FatCatFarm
Jan. 3, 2010, 11:24 PM
Claire, don't beat yourself up over the fencing. Great Pyrenees are real challenges to keep at home even in the best of circumstances. Some are terrible escape artists and very driven to roam. We had three females and our youngest was an escape artist. Rehomed her younger buddy and the other two girls were older and more inclined to stay put but she got them to follow her a time or two and the second time it cost Margot, the oldest, her life. A stray dog had dug under our back fence and out went Angel with the other two in tow. Margot got hit by a car and killed. So Angel got sold to a sheep farmer where she will be the only dog and more inclined to focus on the stock since she won't have any buddies to go carousing with. That left us with just Angie, the last female GP. We picked up Buddy Bear off of Craigslist where his owner was giving him away and threatening to send him to the pound. He's a grand old gent of 7 and creaky in his hips and not going anywhere fast. He follows at my heels wherever I go. Today we picked up a 5 month old Maremma Abruzzes to once again round out our pack of coyote and stray dog deterrents. The Maremmas are supposed to be less inclined to roam and a bit more aggressive which we need her due to stray dogs in addition to the yotes.

Long story short, you can do all the right things and still lose them. Like you, if Charlotte doesn't return, I hope someone is doing right by her. But there's always ones out there that need a helping hand, like Buddy Bear. His coat was very matted and his toe nails are atrociously long. I've already worked on his coat and am hoping to get him into a groomer tomorrow to grind his nails down to a more comfortable level as I know they are causing him pain. Try Craigslist for another GP or try a different breed of LGD like a Maremma or a Akbash. Best of luck.

witherbee
Jan. 4, 2010, 11:51 AM
I keep checking back hoping that she has been found. The hardest thing is not having closure I think.

We have the Dogwatch Hidden Fence too, and love it, but we do sometimes leave their collar's off, and I have had my hound wander. The Chessie will go to the neighbors if her's is off for a few weeks and she gets testing it. This is a wake up call to me to leave the collars ON. I have a new chihuahua puppy who is too small for a Hidden Fence system, and would get picked up by hawks etc anyway, but I plan to have him micro shipped when he goes in to get snipped later this month.

It's so darn hard to lose one, especially like this. Continued prayers for your girl.

clairdelune
Jan. 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
I keep checking back hoping that she has been found. The hardest thing is not having closure I think.

We have the Dogwatch Hidden Fence too, and love it, but we do sometimes leave their collar's off, and I have had my hound wander. The Chessie will go to the neighbors if her's is off for a few weeks and she gets testing it. This is a wake up call to me to leave the collars ON. I have a new chihuahua puppy who is too small for a Hidden Fence system, and would get picked up by hawks etc anyway, but I plan to have him micro shipped when he goes in to get snipped later this month.

It's so darn hard to lose one, especially like this. Continued prayers for your girl.

Thankyou for your prayers.
We had taken the collar off Charlotte and had planned to put it back on,she would get used to the shock and we found leaving it off for a week helped,it also stopped the collar making her sore on her neck,which it did, because of all that fur it got warm and irritated her neck.
I too have a Chihuahua, he came from the humane society as someone moved house and left him in the basement,I'm so scared of something grabbing him that he only goes outside in a fenced area and only just to give him time to do what he needs to..I just cannot bare the thought of loosing another dog,and especially as he is so tiny, he was neutered a week after we got him and he has no desire to stray,plus he loves being by the warm fire too much,and will not go out unless he really needs to, and I'm getting him micro chipped,I did think about putting a bell on his collar so I always know where he is but he is so tiny it would weigh him down:)

f4leggin
Jan. 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
Since Charlotte doesn't have a collar on, this probably won't happen for you - but don't give up hope.

I had a Newfi go missing (all 5 dogs escaped from the house one morning - 4 came back...) a few years ago. I posted signs in the neighborhood, contacted local vets, etc.. She was microchipped. She also had a collar on with her name and my phone number.

Five months later I got a call from someone asking for Sara - I said - no, that's not me, you must have a wrong number. They called right back asking for Sara again - this time I was a little more irritated and say NO - you have the wrong number. The caller said wait, don't hang up - I have your dog. I was dumbfounded - i said which one??? The big black one. I said - Josie (my black lab), she's right here with me - yes, it turns out they had Sara, my newfi.

She was 60 miles from my house, and still had the collar on with my name. Now, this is the Denver metropolitan area, so I knew that she didn't make it there on her own. When I drove to pick her up, she looked great and had been freshly groomed. The people who had her, didn't speak much english, but did ask me for money. I paid them $100 and left quickly.I didn't believe it was really her until the next day when I had my vet check her over and read her microchip for me.
I never expected to get her back after so long. I have no idea (although I can guess) what really happened, but she came back to me in good health with no lasting affects.

I pray that somehow your dog makes it back to you. I know how hard it is not knowing. I highly recommend microchiping dogs. if for no other reason that if they are stolen, and you find them somehow, you can prove that it's your dog.

Jill

TripleRipple
Jan. 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
I am hoping with all my heart that Charlotte finds her way back to you.

I adopted a dog from a rescue - she'd been there for months, and prior to that, with some local families who'd found her near a country road. No chip or collar, posters up, posted on petfinders daily, and she certainly had a lot of people looking for her owners, but honestly, she could have come from across the country for all they knew.

I think the reason everyone tried to find an owner so hard and so long is that you can tell that despite having hit a rough and scary patch of road, someone had loved this dog very much. She is perfectly mannered, smart, happy, just a joy to be around. From handling her so much now, there is nothing you can't do with her (like handling paws, mouth, brushing teeth, etc), she is totally at ease in the house, and she is a champ at the vets. She cuddles like she was used to doing so every night. Dogs don't get to be like she is by accident, and I know the kind of love and time that must have been spent teaching a dog the ropes like this.

I wish her owners had been found - and if nothing else, I wish that they could know that she wasn't put into a kill shelter, nor left to roam the area, cold and hungry and scared (at least, not for long). This dog that they took this much time to love and train is being treated like the most precious gift ever by her new family. She is a most cherished family member now, and very much loved by us.

I hope that if your Charlotte can't find her way back to you, that she ends up in a situation like our girl did with us.

The only thing I can think of (haven't read each page yet, sorry if this was already suggested), but have you checked petfinders.com? IIRC, you can just plug in her breed and the state, and it will give you a list of any matches from shelters and rescues in that area. It is much easier than a craigslist search. Fingers crossed that you still will find her.

clairdelune
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry for caps on the title but I'm so happy:) I looked on petfinders.com last night and found a GP that looked just like Charlotte in Cedar rapids IA which is a 6hour drive (400 miles plus) I emailed photo's of Charlotte and they called me this morning..It is Charlotte she has the limp in her right leg and they said all the markings are the same,I just cannot believe it.
I'm driving first thing in the morning or this afternoon, I need to make some arrangements for my Daughter to stay at her friends then I'm going.They said she is very scared and shaking,I just dont know how she got there but all I care about now is getting her home.
Thankyou everyone for your prayers and jingles.

Long Spot
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:01 PM
HORRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've remained quiet on this thread because it was such a heartbreaker.

I can't tell you how overjoyed I am for you!!!!!!!!!!!

onelanerode
Yayyyyyyy!!!!!! :) How relieved you must be!! :yes::D I know you cannot wait to see her again!

aspenlucas
Great news!!!!!!

Claddagh
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:08 PM
:D :D :D YAY - OMG - I am so HAPPY for you and Charlotte!!!

What a GRAND start to the New Year!

I can just imagine how wonderful your reunion will be!

clairdelune
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thankyou..I'm so happy I'm still shaking,I just want to get her home,we have a storm coming in so I think I will go today,I cannot see very well in the dark so I need to drive in daylight.
I'm so so happy.

Zu Zu
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
:cool::):D:winkgrin:Great !!!! GREAT GREAT OMG !!! HOW GREAT !!!!!!!:cool::cool:

fernie fox
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:16 PM
Oh how wonderful,I have been following this story,. I am soo happy for you,prayers to you for a safe trip and joyous reunion.
:D

Photos are expected.:yes::D

Always Tardy
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:17 PM
Yay!! I've been checking off and on to see if you found her! So happy for you and her!!!

JSwan
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
I feared for the worst - didn't have the heart to post - just lurked and hoped.

I am so very happy you have found your beloved dog. Drive carefully - and post back when you can. It's a miracle she's been found after all this time - she must have quite a story to tell.

AnotherRound
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
This is unbelieveable. I can't wait for the OP to get back and tell us as much as she can, about where she was found, how she got to the shelter, etc. Poor thing, scared and shaking.

pcwertb
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
Let us know when you have her back home!

Bogie
Jan. 5, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have been checking this post every day and am SO glad to hear that she's been found.

If she could talk I bet she'd have quite the story to tell.

I am so happy for you and for HER :D:D.

hipy
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:33 PM
OMG, I too have just lurked hoping and hoping and am SO HAPPY! WHAT AN AWESOME THREAD TO OPEN!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

IFG
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
I have been following this thread forever. I am so glad to hear that you found her!

AnotherRound
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:47 PM
This is unbelieveable. I can't wait for the OP to get back and tell us as much as she can, about where she was found, how she got to the shelter, etc. Poor thing, scared and shaking. You know, when the OP said she didn't think she could have traveled far, I had to wonder, because I have heard of dogs traveling, and just going and going for days, weeks, months, and being found states away. I wonder if this poor thing traveled. So scared. Poor sweet thing. I am so happy she was found. She will be SO happy to be found!! Her poor little heart must be breaking in two wanting her mother. I can't believe it. I wonder how the OP was found by the shelter?

Long Spot
Jan. 5, 2010, 01:50 PM
AR, the OP said she logged on to Petfinder last night only find a GP dog in Iowa. OP contacted finder with pics and identifying info. It didn't sound like a shelter.

TripleRipple
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
Fingers still crossed that this is your Charlotte!

I am having a hard time sitting still, waiting to what happens - positive thoughts for your drive there and reunion with her. So very glad you never gave up - imagine how happy she will be, too! Geez, I am tearing up more now than when I first read this sad thread, and the news now is good. This is the outcome that everybody wants when pet goes missing, but few get.

clairdelune
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm leaving at 4am to make sure I get home before it is dark, I have a friend coming with me who is a Sheriff's Deputy, so he will be able to drive if the roads get bad.
I just wonder where she has been all this time and how she got 400 miles away, I don't suppose I will ever find out. I'm just so happy she is found.
The pound told me she is underweight but not too bad, she is just scared.
I will take photo's when we get back and post them.

I just cannot put into words how I feel...so happy.

trubandloki
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:19 PM
A loose scared dog can travel very far. Far further than most people think.

Just appreciate that she is safe.

dalpal
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:20 PM
Sorry for caps on the title but I'm so happy:) I looked on petfinders.com last night and found a GP that looked just like Charlotte in Cedar rapids IA which is a 6hour drive (400 miles plus) I emailed photo's of Charlotte and they called me this morning..It is Charlotte she has the limp in her right leg and they said all the markings are the same,I just cannot believe it.
I'm driving first thing in the morning or this afternoon, I need to make some arrangements for my Daughter to stay at her friends then I'm going.They said she is very scared and shaking,I just dont know how she got there but all I care about now is getting her home.

I have tears in my eyes of joy for you!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you didn't give up! Please give Charlotte a big hug and kiss from me when you get her home!

eventing-n-SD
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:23 PM
OMG, that is so awesome and amazing!!! I'm so happy for you and Charlotte!!!! I have tears of happiness for you both!!!

clairdelune
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
A loose scared dog can travel very far. Far further than most people think.

Just appreciate that she is safe.

I do so appreciate she is safe and I'm so glad that someone found her and took her to the pound/shelter.
I will let everyone know the details when I get home,I just don't know how I will sleep tonight!

jenm
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:44 PM
I do so appreciate she is safe and I'm so glad that someone found her and took her to the pound/shelter.
I will let everyone know the details when I get home,I just don't know how I will sleep tonight!

Yay for you and Charlotte!! :)

RainyDayRide
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:48 PM
What great news ... safe journey tomorrow.

I can well imagine that sleep will be a bit elusive tonight.

Thomas_1
Jan. 5, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm so pleased to hear your good news. I trust she'll soon be back with you and safe and sound.

It must be the time of the year for good news like this. One of my friends lost her Bermese cat 3 years ago last August. She's just got her back .... albeit just from 8 miles away. She's had a broken front leg and was very underweight but she's home and now refusing to leave the fire!

clairdelune
Jan. 5, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm so pleased to hear your good news. I trust she'll soon be back with you and safe and sound.

It must be the time of the year for good news like this. One of my friends lost her Bermese cat 3 years ago last August. She's just got her back .... albeit just from 8 miles away. She's had a broken front leg and was very underweight but she's home and now refusing to leave the fire!
Thankyou very much, I'm so pleased your friend got her cat back. I just cannot believe that I will see Charlotte tomorrow.
I will be getting her an appointment at the vets to get a micro chip put in and get her checked over.

Donkey
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:02 PM
Wow - fantastic update. I am soooo happy for you and Charlotte :)

SmartAlex
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:12 PM
AWESOME! Just think how happy Charlotte will be to see a familiar face! Have a safe trip.

Zu Zu
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:18 PM
This is just Blue Ribbon News !!!! Charlotte's coming home has put a smile :D on my face all day. She is like ZuZu's Petals in the movie ~ It's A Wonderful Life ~ representing ~ the promise of the future ~ the triumph of the human spirit and the reminder of JUST HOW WONDERFUL LIFE IS !!! WELCOME HOME SWEET CHARLOTTE ~ WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR YOU ! ESP ~ YOUR MOTHER !!! ENJOY !!! Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !

Buffyblue
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:20 PM
That is amazing good news! So happy for you and her!

cloudyandcallie
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:27 PM

Amazing and great news! Now microchip your dog! Last year, a dog was turned in to the hinesville humane society to be euth-ed, and was microchipped and............the dog had disappeared from her owners in Brooklyn NY 6 yrs ago. The little child who owned the dog is now a teenager, and got her dog back! From Brooklyn NY to Ft Stewart GA.

Microchip and tattoo. My dogs and cats all have the tattoo "Reward GA DLN #" on their stomachs, as often dogs and cats are stolen and sold to medical schools and other scientific facilities for experimentation. Any LEO can trace a driver's license #.
My horse has a microchip and his brand with part of his life # on it.

A chain link fence with chicken wire flat under it prevents dogs from digging out and disappearing also.

Bluehorsesjp
Jan. 5, 2010, 04:29 PM
HURRAYYYY!!!!
Drive safe, Drive fast and let us know how Charlotte is as soon as you can.

AnotherRound
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:35 PM
A chain link fence with chicken wire flat under it prevents dogs from digging out and disappearing also.

C&C, that's the one piece of dog keeping information I am missing, and have been seeking. Thanks.

witherbee
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:50 PM
Such happy news! So glad I checked back. Charlotte will be so happy to be home.

Gryhnd
Jan. 5, 2010, 05:54 PM
Wonderful news! I am SO HAPPY for both of you!!! Also glad you have someone making the long drive with you. How absolutely wonderful!

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 5, 2010, 06:07 PM
Oh, I teared up when I read this update, I am soooo happy for your and Charlotte! Please drive safely. Can't wait to hear the update that she is home.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 5, 2010, 06:14 PM
WOW. Jaw dropper. Can't wait to get an update!!!!!!

birdsong
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:10 PM
Happy Happy Happy...doin' the Happy Dance!!!

I get misty eyed thinking about Charlotte when she sees her Mama!!

Going to be waiting for a full run down of the reunion.
You never gave up and it worked...good for you and Charlotte!!

buschkn
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:27 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT WITH JOY!!! I have a Pyr mix and it has been SO heartbreaking to read about the OP losing Charlotte. I couldn't be more thrilled to see this happy news! Please post updates when you get to her and I SOOO hope it is really her! HOOOORAAAY!!!

EponaRoan
Jan. 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
Wow - what awesome news! I'm so happy for you and Charlotte. :cool::cool::cool:

HighFlyinBey++
Jan. 5, 2010, 08:05 PM
What wonderful news! I'm so very happy for you!!!

clairdelune
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have an appointment on Friday with my vet, Charlotte gets a check up and microchipped! I will not let her out of my sight again.
Thankyou everyone for your good wishes for my journey, I just cannot wait to get there and see her.
I will post as soon as we get home.

3horsemom
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:21 PM
i have also been following charlotte's story. this is great news!. i am happy for you both. have a very safe trip. you both are in my prayers.

Edgewood
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:25 PM
So excited that you will get Charlotte back!

crosscreeksh
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:25 PM
As a fellow GP owner I've followed this thread with a heavy heart. I didn't see any way in the world you'd get your dog back!! I was SOOOOOOOOOO happy to read your update. You must be so relieved and happy. Hugs to both you and Charlotte!! Hope she learned a lesson!!

FalseImpression
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:37 PM
so, so happy for you. You can be so proud that you never gave up and kept expanding your search... I wish your friend could take pictures of your reunion!!! Be careful, but be back soon!!

ThatScaryChick
Jan. 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
I am so glad you found your dog!

shea'smom
Jan. 5, 2010, 11:36 PM
This is such GREAT news!!!! I can't wait for you to post that you got her home!
Glory be!

clairdelune
Jan. 6, 2010, 07:51 AM
Well it is 5.30 in the morning and my truck is in a ditch, but thank god I got a ride home.
The visibility was so bad I turned around after 5 miles, I was going to wait until daylight..but I must have hit a patch of ice that was covered in snow and found myself going in the ditch and not being able to control the skid, my truck is nearly on its side as it was a steep ditch. I have to wait now and get towed out, I just cannot believe this has happened, I have emailed the shelter and will call them at 7am when they open.
The weather forecast is not good so I don't know if I can risk going and not being able to get home, my Husband works away from home and there is just my Daughter and myself at home in the week, I need to be able to get back tonight for my Horses.
I have to work Thursday and Friday (if I can get to work in the snow) so my only chance is going to be Saturday, I'm so upset, I'm sure they will keep her at the shelter but I just hate it that now I have found her I wont be able to get her home until Saturday:(

HighFlyinBey++
Jan. 6, 2010, 08:55 AM
Well that bites a big one :( Stay safe & may the weather clear quickly.

shea'smom
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:07 AM
Is there any body who can go get her out of the shelter? Is is a no kill shelter.
Dang how frustrating for you!

trubandloki
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:10 AM
How old is your daughter? Can she not take care of the horses so you are able to drive safely to the dog, stay the night some where and drive home the next day?

foundationmare
Jan. 6, 2010, 09:18 AM
Such happy news!!!! Sorry you had the mishap on the road. Maybe a fellow COTHer can hold her for you until you get there? I know the wait is going to drive you crazy and these next few days will probably seem longer than the entire time of her missing, but the reunion WILL happen!

So happy for you and what a wonderful way to usher in the new decade!

dalpal
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:05 AM
Call the rescues in the shelter's area...you could see if any could go get the dog and hold her until you can safely get there?

Another option that I've used with success in the past...call some of the local boarding veterinarian hospitals in the area and see if a tech can go pick her up, bring her to the hospital and board her for you.

Just a couple of thoughts.

JSwan
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'm so upset, I'm sure they will keep her at the shelter but I just hate it that now I have found her I wont be able to get her home until Saturday:(

I'm glad you weren't injured!

The important thing is that your dog is safe - let that thought carry you through until you can get her on Saturday. Don't fret - she's ok!!!

Zu Zu
Jan. 6, 2010, 10:21 AM
Jingles continue ~ so sorry about the weather and roads ~ just call and explain ~ this will clear up ~ you will get Sweet Charlotte home not today but by the weekend. Keep your daughter, horses and yourself safe and out of harm's way ~ that is your only way to make sure Charlotte gets home. She needs you ~ so plan your work and work your plan but safety FIRST for ALL involved . Thoughts and prayers for your anxiety ~ let us cothers know if there is any way we can help ~we can all call and assure the shelter you are just delayed because of the weather ~ Hey how about that Sheriff friend who was going to drive you - would he call and express your concern and reason for delay ? Just any idea. Please keep us updated. Jingles ~

clairdelune
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:10 AM
I spoke to the shelter and they said they will keep Charlotte until I can get to pick her up.
The weather is bad there too.
I have just got my truck back but as I know that Charlotte will be kept until I pick her up I will not risk going out again, we are very isolated here and get snowed in very easily so I would hate to leave and not be able to get back to the house.
I really wanted to see Charlotte today but I know she is warm and is not hungry and the people I have spoken to at the shelter are so nice,so I know Charlotte is in good hands until I can get to her.

Zu Zu
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the re-assuring:yes: update ~ Jingles for you & Charlotte ~ thinking of you two today and until she arrives :yes:"home".

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jan. 6, 2010, 12:31 PM
Be careful! You may even want to wait until Sun/Mon when it warms up. Not what you want to hear of course, but be safe! I think we are in for a little doozy.

Bogie
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:14 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. It sounds like the safest thing is to hunker down until the weather improves. It must be hard!

I spoke to the shelter and they said they will keep Charlotte until I can get to pick her up.
The weather is bad there too.
I have just got my truck back but as I know that Charlotte will be kept until I pick her up I will not risk going out again, we are very isolated here and get snowed in very easily so I would hate to leave and not be able to get back to the house.
I really wanted to see Charlotte today but I know she is warm and is not hungry and the people I have spoken to at the shelter are so nice,so I know Charlotte is in good hands until I can get to her.

shea'smom
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:26 PM
Good to hear they will keep her safe. I am sure you can hardly believe it!

NMK
Jan. 6, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hooray. As I fellow GP owner, my heart ached for your loss. Such great news that she has been found. FYI--I got a Cesar Milan magazine at Christmas and it had an advertisement for a collar with a GPS tracking system. The collar was about $150 and the GPS was less than $10 a month.

I am fortunate that my GP does not roam (yet) --he's nine months old. But we have about 600 acres for him to explore if he so chooses. If he does it more than once you better believe he'll have that collar on. Finding a white dog in 2' of snow is not easy!

I bet she'll be glad to see you Saturday. Hang in there until then!

Nancy

clairdelune
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hopefully by Saturday this bad weather will be gone, if we get the winds that are forecast it will get worse tomorrow and by the weekend road conditions will be better.
The shelter is open until 3pm on Saturday so I plan on leaving early Saturday morning.
I spoke to my Vet's wife today and she said she has heard a lot recently about Dogs being taken by out of state hunters and it was hunting season when Charlotte went missing, but I'm just pleased that she is safe now and I will get to see her very soon,and I'm looking into getting a gps system for her collar,I have done a couple of online searches and have just come up with one so far that is very expensive but would be well worth the money to prevent Charlotte getting lost again.

RainyDayRide
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:04 PM
It's so good to know that both you and Charlotte are someplace safe and warm and out of the storm today, even if it is not the same warm place.

btw, Charlotte is a great name for a GP, worthy of such a dignified (and large) dog.

Zu Zu
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:05 PM
Good plan ~ Jingles !

clairdelune
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hooray. As I fellow GP owner, my heart ached for your loss. Such great news that she has been found. FYI--I got a Cesar Milan magazine at Christmas and it had an advertisement for a collar with a GPS tracking system. The collar was about $150 and the GPS was less than $10 a month.

I am fortunate that my GP does not roam (yet) --he's nine months old. But we have about 600 acres for him to explore if he so chooses. If he does it more than once you better believe he'll have that collar on. Finding a white dog in 2' of snow is not easy!

I bet she'll be glad to see you Saturday. Hang in there until then!

Nancy
Thankyou Nancy, I have just found the Cesar Milan website but I could not find anything on there advertising the collar, please could you tell me who makes the collar.
The only ones I have found so far are priced at $600, and although I would pay that for peace of mind if there is a cheaper one that will do the same job that would be better.

clairdelune
Jan. 6, 2010, 05:15 PM
It's so good to know that both you and Charlotte are someplace safe and warm and out of the storm today, even if it is not the same warm place.

btw, Charlotte is a great name for a GP, worthy of such a dignified (and large) dog.
Thankyou, my Daughter calls her Charlie and I call her Lottie, I named her Charlotte because I thought a french dog deserved a french name! although I have a little Dachshund mix named FiFi and she is so not french and elegant!

Timex
Jan. 6, 2010, 11:49 PM
FABULOUS news!!!! So glad to hear she's been found!

NMK
Jan. 7, 2010, 05:11 PM
I will get you that collar information tomorrow, so glad she's safe.

Nancy

SarEQ
Jan. 7, 2010, 06:01 PM
YAY!!! I'm so so so happy that Charlotte will be coming home. That is amazing news, and a good lesson for me... every dog I own will be microchipped. It may not always help, but in this case, it would have. That GPS collar is a good idea.

I can't say how happy it makes me that your dog will be coming home. I followed this but never posted because it made me sad and I really thought there was no hope, and that your dog was gone. But Charlotte has proven us all wrong!

EqTrainer
Jan. 7, 2010, 06:57 PM
:eek::D please update the title for this thread, I had almost stopped opening it as it has been heartbreaking...

so glad to hear your girl is well and that you'll be seeing her soon.

clairdelune
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:05 PM
I will get you that collar information tomorrow, so glad she's safe.

Nancy
Thankyou Nancy.

clairdelune
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:22 PM
I recieved another photo of Charlotte from the shelter, she has lost quite a bit of weight which is understandable.
I still cannot believe I have found her, I could never give up searching for her.
The night I saw her on pet finders I had done a different search I put in my state as the location and not my zip code I don't know if that made a difference or not, I was so used to visiting the site every day and my search details had been saved, but some unknown reason I changed the search.

Poor Charlotte will be weighed down by her collar when she gets home, I have bought a beacon to put on it and a bell, then she will get the GPS attached (I'm still looking in to the best unit),I will be getting my phone number embroided on the collar and of course her tag, I know the light and the bell will not help me find her if she is lost but it will help me see her in the snow!
She will also get her micro chip put in on Monday or Tuesday.
Here is her photo http://picasaweb.google.com/hjmke1/Charlotte02#5423799136622251442
The sheter told me they have put her next to two very gentle dogs as poor Charlotte is still very frightened.

clairdelune
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:26 PM
:eek::D please update the title for this thread, I had almost stopped opening it as it has been heartbreaking...

so glad to hear your girl is well and that you'll be seeing her soon.

I hope I have managed to change the title of the thread, I was not sure if a moderator had to do it.

Cloverbarley
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:39 PM
Clairedelune I am sooooo happy for you!! How wonderful this Internet is. Sorry you had a minor setback in getting down to collect your beautiful Charlotte but only 2 more sleeps! :) You must be totally bubbling over with excitement and happiness. I have 2 LGDs and I know how absolutely devastated I would be if either of them disappeared so I can totally imagine how you felt. Wishing you a pleasant drive to be reunited with your beloved girl and a safe trip home again.

Zu Zu
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:39 PM
Yes, underweight but still has those big beautiful eyes and is looking for her mom ! Jingles Saturday is coming up soon ! Thanks for sharing her photo ~ there will be tears of happinness on Saturday !

Cloverbarley
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
I hope I have managed to change the title of the thread, I was not sure if a moderator had to do it.
No the title hasn't changed on the index board. I think you have to go back to your first post and then change the title there. I'm sure many people will be so pleased to see a new "happy ending" title. :)

ETA; thread title has changed now.

clairdelune
Jan. 7, 2010, 10:52 PM
No the title hasn't changed on the index board. I think you have to go back to your first post and then change the title there. I'm sure many people will be so pleased to see a new "happy ending" title. :)

ETA; thread title has changed now.
Thankyou Cloverbarley , I think I have changed it now.

MHM
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:20 PM
What a wonderful turn of events! Have a safe trip to pick her up. :)

I, too, would like more details on the $150 GPS collar.

clairdelune
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:36 PM
What a wonderful turn of events! Have a safe trip to pick her up. :)

I, too, would like more details on the $150 GPS collar.
Thankyou, I'm working nights tonight so it will go fast and then just one short sleep and I will be on my way.

The GPS collars I have found are $300 and up, plus there is the cost of the service which with some is like having an extra cell phone service. I have found one unit which is called "Roam EO" and that dosent require the cell phone service, but is a lot more expensive, I found a couple on ebay too, but I'm a little concerned about buying one from a private seller with a no return policy.
So I'm waiting to hear about the $150 one too.

Yip
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:47 PM
Many, many ****************tears****************** of joy for your family and Charlotte!

What a blessing you happened to find her listed finally!

I lost a wonderful collie many years ago and we never did find him. We had just relocated and one of the kids left the gate open. The dog didn't know where he lived, snow fell, and he got disoriented. We tracked him for 3 months, never getting there in time, but then lost him completely. My heart still breaks 24 years later, and I still sometimes dream about him coming home. Losing a wonderful pet is traumatic.

I am so glad this will all be just a bad memory for you - while your girl lives out her days with you.

Yip

FalseImpression
Jan. 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
I am so happy that you found her... but I bet she does not leave your side ever again!!!

Long Spot
Jan. 8, 2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks for posting the picture. She's just lovely. That face! I've been having a hard time waiting to hear your story on picking her up. I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling, Clairdulen.

Have a safe trip and be sure to give her a few extra snuggles and scritches from her Coth buddies.

Jaegermonster
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:03 AM
Like several others, I was following but could not bring myself to post.
it is truly a miracle that she has been found.
Please post if you get more information about how she came to be where she is, how they got her at the shelter etc.

nadasy
Jan. 8, 2010, 09:38 AM
I too, am THRILLED and it is a Miracle! All the best thoughts, prayers and safe roads to getting Queen Charlotte back home safely. Thank you for letting us know.

asterix
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:20 AM
I'm another one who had been following but not posting, and had stopped reading because it made me so sad.
GOOD FOR YOU for NOT GIVING UP!!!!!
congratulations!

NMK
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evidently its not been released to be sold just yet...but you can go to and sign up to be notified when its available.

www.cesargps.com

The price was $149.99 and it was less than 10 a month to use the service. Might be worth the wait.

Nancy

Zu Zu
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:25 AM
Tomorrow is SATURDAY :cool:~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jingles for a safe trip ~ a wonderful reunion and a quick and safe return "HOME" ~ Jingles Jingles Jingles & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! There will be alot of "cothers" riding with you clairelune and your husband and Sweet Charlotte ! ENJOY !!!! :) You have truly been blessed !

EqTrainer
Jan. 8, 2010, 10:38 AM
I had a martini last night before I went to bed... husband asked why.. I told him because they found Charlotte! :D

He was :confused: but then had one, too.

Marshfield
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hurray!!!! What a story your girl must have.

Faircourt
Jan. 8, 2010, 12:23 PM
WOW! So happy for you and your girl, what an amazing story! Have a safe trip tomorrow - Charlotte is going to be so happy to see you!!!

Claddagh
Jan. 8, 2010, 02:23 PM
Just want to wish you safe travels tomorrow. What a day it will be!!! I'm so happy that you will have Charlotte in your arms again very, very soon. Can't wait for your wonderful update! And pictures too (she is a beautiful girl - I love her expressive eyes).

3horsemom
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:28 PM
have a safe trip.

JSwan
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
Save travels - post back when you come down from cloud nine. :)