PDA

View Full Version : Gina Miles Clinic

eventer80
Nov. 21, 2009, 11:17 AM
Gina Miles is coming to my area and I am wondering how she is as a clinician. Any advice?

Mukluk
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well I have no idea, but I live in her area. I was at Trader Joes one day and there was a gal dressed in horse clothes- so I made some comment about how food was a great thing to have after riding. So we started talking horses. I asked her where she rode and she mentioned the place. I said, "Oh isn't that where Gina Miles is?" and she said "I'm Gina Miles" We had a really nice conversation- so I don't know how she is as a clinician, but she seemed like a very nice person.

springdaisy
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:39 AM
I don't know about clinicing with her, so can't help you there. However, I second that she's extremely nice! My friend and I went to Rolex together, and she was signing posters. She spent about ten minutes with us just talking. It was very cool. :yes: She said she loved my name, and that is what she wants to name her kid if she has another one. And her daughter has the same name as my friend! That was kind of funny.

Nov. 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
We had her at our barn just north of San Diego in early October for what we hope will be a series of clinics.
She taught three groups, two BN groups and one T/P group.
She had exercises that applied to all the horses and a theme throughout the clinic.
She had a large variety of horses and riders in her groups and everyone left with a positive experience and great tools to work on at home.
She was kind and gracious and helpful to all the riders.
Hopefully we'll have her back this winter.

archieflies
Nov. 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
Is this the clinic that's at the end of January? Darn, I just agreed to do a pony party that weekend. I would love to go!

caevent
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:22 PM
I have found Gina to be an incredibly friendly, rewarding, and positive trainer to be around at the horse shows. While I've never seen her teach a clinic, her coaching style is direct and stress-free (so important in the crazy/crazed warm-up arenas!). Enjoy the clinic!

ShayDarra
Nov. 30, 2009, 08:54 AM
There are only three spots left in the Gina Miles clinic here in Area V. Dates are Sun, Jan 31 and Mon, Feb 1. If anyone is interested, the entry form is on www.ghcta.org. Gina will be in town as the keynote speaker at the national Pony Club convention and we're fortunate to have her stay over to do a clinic.

SD

Dec. 8, 2009, 12:56 PM
For those of you in the San Diego/LA area, we're planning a clinic for December 19 & 20th!

Grasshopper
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:23 PM
I did one clinic with her when we lived in CA, and watched a couple of others, and would ride with her again in a heartbeat! She was insistent when needed, but let the exercises she set up do a lot of the teaching, and also praised when appropriate.

The mare and I had a breakthrough during our stadium session with her, and an awesome XC session the next day that reinforced what we'd learned and really boosted our confidence!
I thought Gina was great about diagnosing problems and providing solutions that worked for the individuals, rather than trying to make one approach fit everyone.

I also saw a couple of horses that came out of her barn (she sold one to the girl that had leased my mare for a while) and thought they were well matched with their riders and had very nice training put on them.

wanderlust
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:20 PM
I rode in a clinic with Gina over the summer. She's really nice and positive, set up some good exercises. That said, I didn't get a whole lot of input during my ride- a couple of quick tips for dealing with a difficult horse I was riding. She spent a lot more time on the others, which was disappointing.

Hunter Princess
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
I met her at Convention and she is so personable and friendly (and funny!), and I imagine that she would be great to learn from.