PDA

View Full Version : Petition to remove NAYRC 1* age restriction...help needed!

BEEBER
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:59 AM
Petition is up and ready for signatures!!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/NAJYRC/petition.html

I have a petition that I'd like to post on the web that requests the FEI to remove the maximum age limit for the CCI* competitiors at the North American Young Riders competition but I have no idea how to do that! I am told that it can be set up where we can get electronic signatures on the petition thru the internet. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to set this up? I plan on presenting the petition at the USEA annual meeting on 12/4! Thanks for your help.

three_dayer
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:41 AM
I don't know how to do the petition online, but I will sign the petition. I think it is very unfair to expect that young riders will have horses that are going well enough to do a one star by the age of 18. There are kids that have and will that are between 14-18, but it is getting more difficult to qualify for the NAYRC for most kids. Also, what about those young riders that have a nice prelim horse but won't(or can't) do the 2*? I believe that everyone should have a chance to get to go to NAYRC, it is a lot of fun and a great experience (and quite an eye opener) Thanks for getting this going, it is a great(and smart) idea...

3 Day Ranch
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:18 AM
I don't know how to do the petition either, but I am very much in favor of having the maximum age be 21 for the one star. In this environment of increased emphasis on safety, I believe that not only does the age restriction keep many from ever experiencing Young Riders but also sends an inappropriate message.

I think you will find a HUGE amount of support for this so good luck with the petition.

Meredith Clark
Nov. 21, 2009, 11:28 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/

Click "Start your free online petition today!" and it's pretty easy.

good luck!

jn4jenny
Nov. 21, 2009, 11:45 AM
My only suggestion is to make sure you give petition respondents the option to list their USEA, USEF, and/or FEI membership numbers on the form. The petition will carry more weight if the members who support it are also partially footing the associations' bills.

BEEBER
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:00 PM
My only suggestion is to make sure you give petition respondents the option to list their USEA, USEF, and/or FEI membership numbers on the form. The petition will carry more weight if the members who support it are also partially footing the associations' bills.

Yes, you are right! I have a place for that on the Petition. Will work on getting the Petition up today or tomorrow. Please check back to sign it!

atleventer
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:58 PM
i think you'll have massive support for this. there are many YR's who work very very hard but due to financial constraints, lack of time, college, etc, they may never make it to the cci* before they turn 18. a large majority (not all but a lot) of the kids who do run the * are kids on made horses who also have multiple horses. for those that want to get to young riders, they may never have a chance! this is an excellent opportunity to let some new talent emerge in the sport, i support this 110% and will gladly sign a petition, as i'm someone who could benefit from this greatly. i never had a horse to run in the * for various reasons including soundness, and lack of money. i am 19, and am finally qualified for the *, but due to stupid rules, i can't participate

RunForIt
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:15 PM
thinking ahead...that age limit was established due to "reasons"...how those reasons came to be accepted may have "vested interests" that will work against this petition - JMHO

Good luck! :cool:

TLA
Nov. 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
For a number of years, the USEF Eventing Committee sent to the FEI (through John Long/David O'Connor) a request to change the CCI* age to 21 and the CCI*** to 25. Unfortunately, I believe that we are the only country and discipline with this concern (keep in mind that NAJYRC includes the jumping, dressage and now reining). Given that lack of support, it was always turned down. I think we finally gave up submitting the request.
There is great support among the members in the US, so a show of that support might be useful, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a change by the FEI.
Tom Angle

RunForIt
Nov. 21, 2009, 03:08 PM
For a number of years, the USEF Eventing Committee sent to the FEI (through John Long/David O'Connor) a request to change the CCI* age to 21 and the CCI*** to 25. Unfortunately, I believe that we are the only country and discipline with this concern (keep in mind that NAJYRC includes the jumping, dressage and now reining). Given that lack of support, it was always turned down. I think we finally gave up submitting the request.
There is great support among the members in the US, so a show of that support might be useful, but I wouldn't hold my breath on a change by the FEI.
Tom Angle

thanks, Tom - I was hoping someone else would add on to my thoughts as I couldn't be specific as you have here. The "staus quo" mindset is so terribly difficult to change...:cool:

BEEBER
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
Here's the Petition!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/NAJYRC/petition.html

Please read the Petition and sign if you agree. I will make the first presentation of the petition at the USEA Annual Meeting on 12/4/09.

Thanks for all your support of our Young Riders!

jubilee.eventing
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:02 PM
I signed it :) I think it would get better circulation if a group was created on facebook for it....

BEEBER
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:35 PM
I signed it :) I think it would get better circulation if a group was created on facebook for it....

Thanks! I signed up for a Facebook but I have no idea on what to do with it!!!:confused: Can someone out there spread the word about the petition on Facebook, Twitter.....etc?

Thank you all again for your support.

FoxChaser
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
Please post a link to the Facebook page you've set up. When we become fans of your page, it will be advertised to our FB friends and word will spread itself :)

BEEBER
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
Please post a link to the Facebook page you've set up. When we become fans of your page, it will be advertised to our FB friends and word will spread itself :)

Okay, I think! :confused:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=app_2361831622#/group.php?gid=180947934469&ref=nf

Noctis
Nov. 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
Awesome! I've signed, and posted the facebook page on my facebook! Everyone who's got a facebook can hit the share icon and it will post on our pages to all our friends as well! Maybe try putting an image up for the "profile picture" so it may look prettier?

WNT
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
Bummer, I apparently can't sign because I am not currently a USEA/USEF member. I would really support this, as I would have loved the opportunity but I wasn't nearly going Prelim by 21, let alone 18. Good luck with the petition.

Threedaydream
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:20 PM
This is great, thank you for bringing it all the way to the convention! I signed! I would love to go to NAYRC...

canterlope
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:16 AM
Tom AngleNot only did the USEF Committee submit requests, but we also collected signatures on petitions and sent them as well.

From the FEI's point of view, restructuring the age groups for the NAJYRC would reach far beyond the confines of the Championships themselves. In essence, the FEI would have to redefine all of its age related classifications (junior, senior, young rider, adult, etc). If this were to happen, it would effect every FEI member country and any FEI competition that offers age classified divisions.

Since, as Tom said, the US is pretty much the only country with concerns about the current age classifications, I believe it is highly unlikely that this latest petition will motivate the FEI into action. If however, it was possible to get other countries involved, then I think the FEI could be motivated. Gathering a bunch of signatures is great and I applaud the effort, but expanding your base of support would be a great deal more effective.

fivecats
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:11 AM
A couple of years ago, recognizing that the age limit was not likely to change, the USEA created the "Junior-Young Rider National CCI1* Team Championship" as an alternative for Young Riders. The Eastern championship has been held in October at the Kentucky Horse Park. IMHO, it has not been well supported by the YR community.

BEEBER
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:43 AM
A couple of years ago, recognizing that the age limit was not likely to change, the USEA created the "Junior-Young Rider National CCI1* Team Championship" as an alternative for Young Riders. The Eastern championship has been held in October at the Kentucky Horse Park. IMHO, it has not been well supported by the YR community.

Yeah, the team championship is not the same experience for these young athletes as representing their Area at the NAJYRC and the comaradere and friendships that they gain on the road to the NAJYRC.....

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:43 AM
Doing it until your 21 is no fun... I think 18 is plenty of time.

BEEBER
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:45 AM
Bummer, I apparently can't sign because I am not currently a USEA/USEF member. I would really support this, as I would have loved the opportunity but I wasn't nearly going Prelim by 21, let alone 18. Good luck with the petition.

WNT; go ahead and sign the Petition if you have an opinion about the subject, just make a note in the remarks about your previous USEA/USEF member status.

BEEBER
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the support so far everyone! I see that we have a Spam entry on the petition..they are looking into removing it.

3 Day Ranch
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:52 AM
In response to the Team Championship that has been offered...we have had a difficult time getting support for this as it is a long format Championship.

It is my understanding (I could be incorrect) that it could be run as a North American Championship with riders up to 21 years old-but not an FEI Championship. I believe this was how is was prior to the age be reduced to 18.

Although this issue has been addressed on numerous other occasions, in this era of heighted concern about safety, it might be a good time to open it up for discussion again.

We have several riders in our barn that came to eventing from other horse disciplines at age 14/15. They really do need more time to be proficient. It continues to be important to attract riders to ours sport so maybe this would be helpful.

KBG Eventer
Nov. 28, 2009, 02:33 PM

It's still fun for someone who is on a team for the first time when they are between 18 and 21. :) Making a CCI* by 18 seems so doable when you are younger, but then you turn 17 like me and realize your chance has gone by a lot quicker than you thought! :lol:

Trak_Eventer
Nov. 28, 2009, 08:00 PM
I would love to see the change. My horse is young, will be 6 next year, and I will be 18 next year. She has more than the ability to easily do the CCI* team. However, there is no way we would be able to do a CCI* so soon. I am not willing to push my horse to be on the team. I would love to see the change so people like me have the chance to participate in such a wonderful competition. I have always wanted to go to Young Riders, but know if will not be possible unless we can do the ** before I turn 21.

Bobthehorse
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:29 PM

Its not plenty of time if you have to make your own horse.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Nov. 30, 2009, 01:41 PM
Its not plenty of time if you have to make your own horse.

I am making my own horse :cool: Whether I get there or not in time is not the end of the world you can do a CCI* at any age. If you want to do juniors you need to move quickly and I see nothing wrong with that it keeps it more "elite" (for lack of a better word) and competitive. If they bumped it up to 21 way more riders would be able to make it and it wouldn't seem as fun when you did make it IMHOP. If you are over 18 then suck it up and do a regular * your practically and adult so get over the fact that things didn't work out and you missed out on juniors. Or get training and do the young riders **.

octavian_jazz
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am making my own horse :cool: Whether I get there or not in time is not the end of the world you can do a CCI* at any age. If you want to do juniors you need to move quickly and I see nothing wrong with that it keeps it more "elite" (for lack of a better word) and competitive. If they bumped it up to 21 way more riders would be able to make it and it wouldn't seem as fun when you did make it IMHOP. If you are over 18 then suck it up and do a regular * your practically and adult so get over the fact that things didn't work out and you missed out on juniors. Or get training and do the young riders **.

I agree. I can see both sides, but I would too be concerned that it wouldn't be the same if the age was bumped up to 21 for the CCI*, it sort of defeats the purpose.

BEEBER
Nov. 30, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi All!
Thank you for your support, comments. I'll be taking the petition to DC on Thursday morning. Hope to get a bit more signatures by then!