PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree Question

skip916
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:53 AM
I don't usually post on this board as I am an eventer but I need any input you are willing to give. I am about to purchase (possibly) my first OTTB and her pedigree is here:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/tambos+jazz+dancer

any thoughts on her bloodlines or anything else?

Thanks!!

Heart's Journey
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
excellent turf breeding on the top with Sword Dance, Nijinsky and Northern Dancer so close. Also Secretariat

Bottom side - Sultry Song was a very durable graded stakes winner by a similiar sire, Cox's Ridge
Highland Blade, I remember the name - think he was a stakes winner and his sire Damascus was one of the best
Hay Patcher was the dam of Broad Brush, one of my all time favorites - another durable grade 1 winner, who sired many great babies
Hoist the Flag was a 2 year old champ and favorite for the Derby

very nice durable family who ran consistently long and at the top of the game.

Did you get her?

NancyM
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:33 AM
Sixty five lifetime starts, 2 wins, $19,000 earnings. That is a lot of work for not a lot of payoff. Be cautious about her soundness after that much milage, wear and tear. Perhaps she wasn't trying very hard or running very fast, and saved herself from damage. One would wonder why this horse was kept in training for so long with so little earnings. Hope springs eternal as long as she is sound?

Nice ancestors back there for jumping pursuits, Turn To twice, Secretariat, Nearco (he's in all pedigrees of course). The line from Turn To through to Cox's Ridge is especially strong in jumping talent. Damascus also (twice) isn't a bad thing for jumping talent.

danceronice
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:39 PM
I disagree on number of starts given how old the mare is--unless there are some LONG layoffs in her record somewhere, she's presumably been racing since age two and she's eight, so if anything I'd be more confident in her being free of serious injury. Wear and tear, like any athlete, but the vet who just did my PPE on an older retiree even said he finds that the older horses who are still racing tend to be sound and more solid, while the three and four year olds for sale are more likely to be retired for injuries.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_display.cgi?userfile=P2072411371167941

skip916
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:25 PM
thanks so much for the comments. i am going to get her. she raced until she was six and retired sound. her x-rays are immaculate- its pretty amazing given than many starts! she's huge and built like a warmblood- great bone and great conformation for jumping- but already balanced, forward and lovely for dressage. she did a perfect turn on the forehand the first time i asked her and her owner said she's never been asked to do that before so she's really a "listener" and a natural athlete. thanks again!!

pnalley
Nov. 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Photo's please!

I am intrigued by these TB being not only re-homed, but that they take on new jobs and do so well.

skip916
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
how do you post photos here? i'm not sure!