PDA

View Full Version : Affordable (cheap) wildlife cam recommendations...

jaimebaker
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:12 AM
Looking for affordable, reliable wildlife cam. Got some new wildlife moving in and I'm wanting to see how much of a problem this might be (trying to determine coyotes or feral dog pack). It's also hunting season, and we have problems with poachers. So with that being said, I'm not sure if one with flash would be a good or bad idea. Thinking even if I WAS just trying to photograph the wildlife, if a trespasser saw a flash go off my camera would undoubtedly bite the bullet (probably quite literally). Looking for something under $100 preferably. It will be placed next to our pond in the woods where I've been tracking at least one coyote coming through. I'm wanting to make sure it's just one or at least not enough to become a big problem. Thanks in advance!

craz4crtrs
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:57 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_418852&id=0046650417898a

Like this?

secretariat
Nov. 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
Great info, am very interested in these. Would appreciate any experiences, as the reader reviews seem to be all 1 (awful) or 5(walks on water). Anyone actually have hands on experience, particularly with the IR (night, no flash) performance?

jaimebaker
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:31 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_418852&id=0046650417898a

Like this?

Yes, like that. Like the poster above, I'm looking for recommendations based on folks that have used them. Pros, cons, brand recommendations, etc.

red squirrel ridge
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:54 PM
Don't go for the super cheap ones, you will be dissapointed. You will want one with a infrared flash, it will allow you to take pics at night without the subject (animal or human :winkgrin:) being the wiser. Moultrie and Cuddeback are good brands. I've used a high end Moultrie and was thrilled with it. It was able to take pictures of mice running around at night. We were trying to get pictures of coyotes at the time. It also had a viewing screen so you could check your pics out in the woods without having to bring a digital camera out to put the trail camera card in or bring the card back to the house before you could see if you had any good pics. My advice would be to look on Cabelas website and read the reviews for the various cameras. When you find one that looks good go to e-bay and see whats on there. It may allow you to get a great deal on a awesome camera. It is lots of fun to see whats moving around near your farm. My husband is a hunting guru so if you have any other questions about the cameras just ask.

mothermucker12
Nov. 21, 2009, 08:14 PM
stealthcam at sportsmanguide.com

DressageFancy
Nov. 21, 2009, 11:11 PM
Wal Mart sells infrared wildlife cameras in their sporting goods dept. Right at or a little under $100.

jaimebaker
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the recommendations! I wouldn't mind being able to take some night photos. It's more of just a 'fun thing' I'd like to have to monitor a bit more. I've got cameras on the property that watch the horses but haven't seen much in the open fields.

mothermucker12
Nov. 22, 2009, 08:35 AM
curious what cameras u have on the property....

jaimebaker
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:19 AM
curious what cameras u have on the property....

We have two cameras on the property because no one lives there (we live 5 miles away). There is a house on the property, and that's where we keep the indoor one. It records and downloads images every 6 seconds I believe. I can monitor the driveway, one barn, and 3 pastures with that one. Then I have one on my stallions pasture that is streaming. That covers his run in shed (where it's located) and his entire pasture area. I use two programs to view each camera from the internet. One came with the camera and my hubby developed the other one (for the streaming cam I believe). I plan on getting another one next year to monitor two more pastures. Would eventually like one to look straight down the driveway where our gate is located The property is a mile off the road and plenty of No Trespassing signs, so it would be nice to monitor who all wanders back that far.

Here's the link to the streaming cam. Now, on the streaming cam I think you have the ability to record, but then I think there might be a delay. We don't have it set to record in order to keep it streaming.

http://www.4ucam.com/Wireless-Pan-Tilt-Internet-IP-Network-Camera-Digital-Zoom-Audio.html

Here's the link to the one that records.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830137007

I remember posting a thread on here about surveillance systems and I actually had folks telling me it would be cheaper to build a house out there than to get cameras out there:eek: Other folks said it would cost thousands.:lol:
Nope, just pay for the internet per month, router, modem and the cameras. There is no computer up there since they have their own built in servers (the cameras) and a computer is not necessary. Hubby ran the wiring. The one in the house isn't completely weather proof which is why it's in the house. It won't work below 40 degrees I think. The streaming one won't work below 17 degrees so not sure where we are going to move it this winter. But it's not alot more for the ones that can work in much colder temps. For us, it was under $500 for everything...cameras, modem and router. Then the internet per month. The people we got the indoor camera from had a special last month for $99 so we got another one to put in our own house for when we go out to dinner or run errands. We can monitor it from the cell phones.

jaimebaker
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:28 AM
Ok, got the links working