PDA

View Full Version : Why are there two dirt tracks at Aqueduct?

Larksmom
Nov. 20, 2009, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know the answer? Anyone? Anyone? I understand why they have two turf tracks at Saratoga and Belmont. And I know they switch to the inner track in the winter, but I do not know why.
Gee, senility is catching up with me... I had several other questions, and have forgotten what they were.... :no:
[pounding head on desk,] As SOON as I post this, I will remember....

Barnfairy
Nov. 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know the answer? Anyone? Anyone? I understand why they have two turf tracks at Saratoga and Belmont. And I know they switch to the inner track in the winter, but I do not know why.
Gee, senility is catching up with me... I had several other questions, and have forgotten what they were.... :no:
[pounding head on desk,] As SOON as I post this, I will remember....I believe the dirt surface of the inner track has a more winter-friendly composition, but don't quote me on that.

mintano
Nov. 20, 2009, 05:24 PM
barnfairy is correct, the inner track is winterized so they use it during the winter months.

Linny
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
Barnfairy is right. The Inner Track is "winterized" and they run there from early December to late March typically.

On the Farm
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:48 AM
Barnfairy is right. The Inner Track is "winterized" and they run there from early December to late March typically.

Not only winterized with chemicals to prevent freezing, but the design and composition is completely different than the main. Don't know if it's still available online, but NYRA's horsemans' guide has cross-sectional views of the different surfaces and the inner is more akin to a limestone harness track with a cushion on top.

As an aside Linny, any tips for playing maiden races on the inner? Can't believe that over half of Saturday's card is for non-winners.

Linny
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:16 AM
As an aside Linny, any tips for playing maiden races on the inner? Can't believe that over half of Saturday's card is for non-winners.

I hope you had a decent day "On the Farm." I spent the day in Connecticut and barely looked at the card. Generally I expect the unexpected and look for speed and I detest horses that are 0 for 10 or more.
Today was still on the main track I think. They start on the Inner Tube after Thanksgiving.