PDA

View Full Version : Portable solar fence charger

BEARCAT
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
Looking for recomendation on a solar fence charger to take on camping trips. I will be using some leftover Horseguard fence tape I have at home. Feel free to point me to another thread if this has already been discussed.
Thanks.

chicamuxen1
Nov. 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
For portability and reliability I like this small charger from Parmak.
http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/electricdeerfences/electricfencechargers/solarpowered.htm

I have a couple of Parmaks and they have lasted for years and years.

The Fi-shock has a little stand that my farrier made for it that I can drive into the ground and my charger sits on an L shaped shelf with the two screw hols at the top used to fasten the charger to the shelf with wing-nuts and bolts.

Bonnie S.

Painted Horse
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:45 PM
I use portable fence charges all the time camping. But I have not worried about it being solar. I want something compact enough to throw in the saddle bags or pannier. Solar panes don't fit well there.

Point being. For a 2-3-4 day trip, the chargers that run on 4 "D" cell batteries are more than up to the task. They are smaller and easier to pack ( both in the trailer and in the panners) I usually get 3-4 weeks out of a set of batteries. And as much as I wish I could, I've never stayed that long on a pack trip.

I've used several different brands over the years, I currenty have a Zabre Yellow Jacket chargers and it worls great.