PDA

View Full Version : Trailer covers?

ponygirl
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:33 AM
Has anyone have one? If so does it keep condensation off the trailer?
I like the idea of one but I don't know anyone that has one.

cutemudhorse
Nov. 20, 2009, 05:41 PM
I had a cover come with the '94 Sundowner I had til last year. It was my first trailer (bought in '96 from the original owner who ordered the cover.) I used the cover for the first two winters. It wasn't waterproof but certainly must have helped with fading. It was a bit of a pain to use, esp since said trailer was 7'6" tall inside. What I can compare it to is my boat cover; that didn't prevent mildew from happening on deck, but we are in a very humid area with fairly mild winters. I forgot to give it when I sold the trailers so if you want a BP 2H w/DR cover you can have it for the postage. (I got a GN.)

deltawave
Nov. 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
I had a Sunbrella one for my old Brenderup, it was nice but a PITA to put on! I'm not sure about condensation, but it kept UV rays off the trailer, which was my goal.

ponygirl
Nov. 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys. I have a GN as well.

GirlGeek
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
Deltawave,

I've always wanted to get a cover for my Brenderup. Where did you get yours?

deltawave
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, it was 15+ years ago, lemme think--I think it was an ad in the back of a car magazine, actually, where they'd make custom covers for any "vehicle" just from measurements you sent. It was definitely Sunbrella fabric, not sure if that is just sold through them or if lots of places use it, though.

Guilherme
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:10 PM
Has anyone have one? If so does it keep condensation off the trailer?
I like the idea of one but I don't know anyone that has one.

Condensation happens because moist air gets cooled down. I don't see a cover doing much to prevent that. Indeed, it might trap moist air inside. I will keep precipitation off and protect from Sun damage but not a whole lot more.

G.

secretariat
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:56 PM
To extend the thread, how about a tractor cover (daily use) and/or a zero steer mower cover (once a season); I don't have inside storage and my equipment is suffering.

jn4jenny
Nov. 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
Deltawave,

I've always wanted to get a cover for my Brenderup. Where did you get yours?

One of the Brenderup dealers recommended this place when I asked that question:
http://www.beverlybay.com/custom_covers.htm

I've since decided that it's easier to wax my Brenderup than keep it covered.

ZiggyStardust
Nov. 21, 2009, 07:05 PM
Not sure about the condensation, but my 2H bumper pull came with one. The seller said it took 2 people and a ladder to get it on. Needless to say, I have never used it. Probably should have, though, the trailer's just been sitting anyway.

2horseowner
Nov. 21, 2009, 08:15 PM
ZiggyStarDust is totally correct on the ladder and 2 people approach. Had one for a 28' gooseneck. What a huge pain in the a$$ to put on. Hanging off the nose to get it to drop so the other person could adjust was terrible. It dry rotted after a few years too. I finally got sick of it, and threw it away. It was an awful lot of material to try and fold or rather wad up when off the trailer! Save your $$!

deltawave
Nov. 21, 2009, 08:40 PM
I used a longe line and a lot of heaving and swearing to get my trailer cover on and off. :lol:

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 22, 2009, 05:53 PM
How often are you all using your trailers that you cover them?

I use mine 2-4x a week, depending on season/lessons, and it is huge. I cannot imagine adding in the time and work to wrestle a cover on/off.