PDA

View Full Version : Best Boots for eventing

LaraNSpeedy
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:11 AM
I am wondering about this: my riders are starting to learn XC and they are all buying new boots for their horses. Its new to them - they will go amoeba unrecognized of course. But they all selected color coordinating davis split boots and bell boots. BUT for $20 more they can get a sport boot. They do not want the sport boot - but they would love eskadrons if mom and dad could find over $100 to spend which they all say - OMG - and they are already asking for a vest for Christmas.

Are the splint boots enough protection you think? And if none of them wear shoes - is there a point to the bellboots? None of hurt themselves overreaching... I am sure there is a first time.

Also, since the horses and riders are just starting - I am not telling them to boot the back legs yet.

My eventer just wears woof boots XC, open fronts in jumping and polos to school dressage. My jumper used to wear open fronts and over reach but he was a serious overreacher.

Heinz 57
Nov. 20, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm one of those that doesn't boot unless I have a clutzy horse, or bigger fences. Given that, I'd be inclined to say that the splint boots are just fine for now and are more of an accessory than anything else. Same goes for the bell boots.

Conservatively, I'd start using Woofs or similar at Novice depending on the course, the horse, and the conditions. I'd only use bell boots if the horses are shod, or show a tendency to overreach or interfere.

Donkey
Nov. 20, 2009, 12:26 PM
For what you describe the splint boots and bell boots are more appropriate than the sport boots - I don't know anyone and rarely see anyone who rides cross country in the davis sport style boots. You're trying to protect against knocks and scrapes which is what the splint boots will do fine at that level. You never know when the green ones will end up walking over a log and it's better to scrape a boot than the skin off a leg. Same for overreaching and splint knocks. Have fun! (plus colour coordinated boots are part of that fun at that level!)

eventingismylife
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
I would just go with the Woof Club Brushing boots, they are a very nice boot for not a bunch of money.