PDA

View Full Version : What type of Horse is worth Half Million dollars?

greenerworld
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hi,

I watched in News in AajTak and they showed a horse in Puna, India which is worth more than a Rolls Royce. One king from Dubai offered half million but the person who owns is rejected it. They said when horse runs he talks to air.

MistyBlue
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:42 AM
Oh heck, there are some yooung racing stock here that haven't done anything yet that sell in the millions. :eek:
The one that gobsmacked me was a story I read earlier this year about a woman in China who spent $505,000.00 on a dog. Some large breed that looked like a Newfie, she was going to breed it to her female dog of the same breed. Dogs aren't usually that high an investment.

My2cents
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:15 AM
A solid gold one?

jubilee43
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:20 AM
Go to a Keeneland sale for tbs that are yearlings....or a Saratoga sale. I think you will find many horses that just have the potential to do something that sell for that or much much more:yes:

slc2
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:41 AM
my dear, I just saw a 2 year old very average paint with a white tail on dreamhorse for 60 thousand dollars. halter broke!

a horse is ''worth'' whatever anyone wants to say it's worth.

Renae
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:00 AM
Top end Saddlebred show horses regularly sell for that much and more, same with the top end of most disciplines.

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:56 AM
I am worth that. More than that! Ask my mom!!

equineartworks
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:00 AM
well MY horse is worth a bagillion cazillion dollars so there! :cool:

For a half-mil...well, it better do windows.

ddashaq
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
I nearly bought a TB last year that was worth $2.4 million. Or at least he was as a 3 year old! He was worth about $1K as a four year old after he decided that running was not for him.:lol:

alteringwego
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:33 AM
one that cleans up after himself

Frank B
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:34 AM
Didn't Budweiser paid a million for Gem Twist, who promptly showed his appreciation by crashing through the Budweiser vertical? :lol:

00Jumper
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
my dear, I just saw a 2 year old very average paint with a white tail on dreamhorse for 60 thousand dollars. halter broke!

a horse is ''worth'' whatever anyone wants to say it's worth.

Correction: They're worth whatever someone's willing to pay for them. :D

Except for my horse. You better be offering $500k or we're not even discussing it. :lol:

greysandbays
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:40 AM
What type of horse is worth a half a million dollars?

Whatever type of horse somebody with a half a million dollars burning a hole in their pocket gets to hankering after.

rcloisonne
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:42 AM
Remember The Green Monkey? $16,000,000 :eek: for a two year old who never won a race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Monkey

Glimmerglass
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
The since pensioned thoroughbred sire 'Storm Cat' had a guaranteed-live-foal fee of $500,000 (http://www.studslife.com/excerpt.html) at his height which was within this decade.

A conservative estimate of fifty guaranteed-live-foal contracts suggests that Storm Cat will earn twenty-one million this year. If he played in the N.B.A., that figure would make him the league's third-highest-paid player. As a stud, no one's even close. Why would anyone pay that much for Storm Cat's services? In 1999 and 2000, Storm Cat's offspring earned more than $21 million dollars at the track, almost $7 million more than anyone else's.

Of course money doesn't guarantee anything ...

There is most recently 'The Green Monkey' bought for $16 million USD (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/43609/the-green-monkey-retired) in 2006 which was the most ever for a Thoroughbred sold at public auction. He retired in 2008 (largely with a nagging injury during training) with 3 starts of which his finished 3rd once and 4th twice. Today he stands at stud for $10,000 per live foal.

(He was named for the Barbados golf course of the same name (http://www.seasonsinstyle.com/hotelimages/hotel_1_529.jpg))

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 20, 2009, 12:36 PM
Well, maybe not in hard cash. But I'm betting the horses that cadriver and sk_pacer talk about on the Disabilities Forum are worth more to them than anyone could ever offer.

naters
Nov. 20, 2009, 01:23 PM
Remember The Green Monkey? $16,000,000 :eek: for a two year old who never won a race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Monkey

The big fad in the racing breeding industry for promotions of a stallion are HATS, hats and more hats (baseball caps).

I, in fact, am the proud owner of a Green Monkey hat from when they were promoting him :)

That horse sold for that much due to bloodlines, but more so because of two parties having a little bidding war :winkgrin:

naters
Nov. 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
But to answer the question:

What horse is worth 500k?

Apparently mine, because even though he is a pasture puff right now, i am not sure I would give him up for 500k....

That is a lot of money though!

Blugal
Nov. 20, 2009, 01:36 PM
Our family has a saying from an old horseman who bought a horse for $2500, and when he was trained he would jump a Grand Prix one day then would pack a barn rat around the children's hunters the next.

Someone offered him big money for the horse and he said, in effect:
"I'm having fun with this horse and how on earth could I replace him for the money you're offering? He's a $2500 back-yard shitter, and I'll feel better riding him knowing that, than worrying about a high-dollar horse breaking itself!"

BVEventing
Nov. 20, 2009, 01:44 PM
Top hunter show horses and ponies that are "push button" are sold for that much as well. I am not saying they are worth that much but if people are willing to pay that much to not have to be capable of riding, then I say charge what you can get!

twofatponies
Nov. 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
Top hunter show horses and ponies that are "push button" are sold for that much as well. I am not saying they are worth that much but if people are willing to pay that much to not have to be capable of riding, then I say charge what you can get!

Knew a horse like that. Kid's hunter/jumper. That kid was a good rider, for sure, and she rode every day, and worked hard at it, but she was quite young, and she made mistakes, and that horse did clear round after clear round pretty much every time, no matter what. And she indeed had cost well over half a million bucks, because of that ability.

Would I pay that much for a horse, if I were a rich woman? Probably not. But I'm not very competition oriented either.