PDA

View Full Version : Leasing

cowgurl1985
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:27 PM
I broke my ankle pretty bad about a month ago and had to have surgery and am probably going to have to have surgery again in the future. I have an event horse and obviously I cant ride and dont have anyone else to ride him and am worried about just leaving him and him not bein ridden. Doctor said it could be up to a year before i could even think about riding. So i was thinking about leasing him out. I am not really comfortable letting someone take him I do not know. He is at a boarding facility that my trainer owns. I have had people interested in him but they all want to move him. Have you guys ever leased out a horse? If you did how did you go about finding people? And did you keep him at your place or let him go elsewhere?
Just wanted some input. He is a very nice horse lot's of experience has evented, done jumpers, hunters, and dressage a lil bit of everything.

scribbles
Nov. 19, 2009, 11:04 PM
If I knew where the horse was going, and had a very good contract, I did not have a problem letting them leave the property.

Sulta
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:35 AM
Someone I know trashed their ankle and were not allowed to ride. They ended up riding with no stirrups for over a year until the ankle healed. They competed in hunters and some jumpers with no stirrups. Needless to say, their leg is awesome!

jn4jenny
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:34 AM
Your horse is not going to care one whit about having a one year break. Especially if you can arrange to have him on 24/7 turnout, he'll think he's on the vacation of a lifetime. Most horses come back from a few months/a year off with better mental and physical health.

If you lease him, he could get more mileage, but it sounds like he doesn't need more mileage. You could get the financial relief of not having to pay some of his expenses, and that's potentially a plus. You also put him at risk for greater injury since he'll be working (with someone else), but as horses are theoretically at risk of injury just by being alive, it's up to you to decide how much riskier things are if the horse is working instead of hanging out in a field.

Personally if I had an experienced eventer who I classified as "a very nice horse", I would consider letting him leave the property IF and only IF I thought the rider was competent enough to handle the horse, I liked the rider's trainer and knew a lot about that trainer's reputation (either though the grape vine or from observing the trainer personally), I liked the care standards at the facility where my horse would be kept, the lessees would pay for a mortality/major medical insurance policy with me as the listed payee, and there was a sealtight lease contract. The chances that those stars would align are pretty minimal.

An alternative would be to ask your trainer if she has anyone who might be interested in leasing or half-leasing the horse and/or offer the horse to your trainer as a potential school horse. If you could get the horse half-leased, he would be working 3x weekly and you could maybe slap on one training ride a week to round out the program. You'd have to look into the insurance implications there--using the horse as a lesson horse might require you to buy commercial equine liability insurance to cover your butt--but since you won't be taking lessons for a year, the expense might come out in the wash. And it would keep your horse in work.

cowgurl1985
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:57 PM
I was more or less worried about him not bein ridden for a year and then me getting back on him and hurting my ankle again because he is feelin a lil crazy bc he hasnt been touched. I realize its a poss if he is bein ridden but prolly more likely if he isnt bein ridden consistently.