PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for inside jumping??

petit fromage
Nov. 19, 2009, 07:42 PM
I now own 5 stadium jumps. I'd like to set some kind of course in our 20 x 40 meter indoor. What can I do with only 5 jumps? Some kind of course that could be ridden in a variety of patterns?

SkipChange
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
Let's see, we did 3 jumps evenly spaced on a small circle. You jump them in order like 1-3-2-1-3-2 so it's a nice tight little roll back. So you jump first jump, turn around jump 2, and hit jump 3, then turn around jump 1 and hit jump 2, etc. The smaller the circle the better.

And we did 4 jumps spaced evenly where it's about a 20m circle if you hit all the jumps through the center. You can jump 1-2-3-4 all in order or do the skip like in 3.

Is that really confusing? It made sense in my head

redears
Nov. 22, 2009, 01:37 AM
I couldn't explain my two favorites, so I drew you a picture

http://images52.fotki.com/v726/file4fN0/71201/2/22445/7110566/jumps.jpg

petit fromage
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
Both pictures look like great fun....and the jumps on a circle should be a good turning exercise.

PS Love the "smiley face" layout.

billiebob
Nov. 22, 2009, 02:50 PM
Set this up in the middle of the ring:

/
\
/
\

Great for lead changes.

kookicat
Nov. 22, 2009, 03:56 PM
I couldn't explain my two favorites, so I drew you a picture

http://images52.fotki.com/v726/file4fN0/71201/2/22445/7110566/jumps.jpg

Yep, I've used both of those.

You can play ground with grids too. :)

VicariousRider
Nov. 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
I like the drawings posted by redears too!

Another suggestion is putting one jump at the end of the ring about 15' off of the track. Jumping on the turn can really help establish your eye and forces you to think about moving up or waiting for a distance (which I find to be particularly helpful).

Also, setting up a line with a bending option is nice because the jump on the bend can be used for a long approach too which can really be useful to practice, especially if you or (your horse) starts to fuss on a long approach.

I would just suggest that you don't get too tricky. I find that winter can be a really great time to re-establish consistency with the basics (maintaining a rhythm, pace, position, etc.).

Have fun!

Wonders12
Nov. 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
Please ignore the ...s. It didn't like my spacing.

This is 6 jumps, but it gives you a line, a diagonal line, a vertical, and a diagonal single. You can also do rollbacks and broken lines with it.

__

...../......\
...............__
__........../

OR

Gives you a line down the center line (great for working on turns if it's a narrow arena) a diagonal line, and a single diagonal.

....__
..........\

\ ......../
....__

OR

You can jump them like straight lines (like A to C or D to B) or at an angle (like A to B or C to B)

A....___
..B.....___
C....___
..D.....___

OR

Again, can jump straight on or at an angle across all 3 jumps)

___....___

....___

___....___

Also consider how big your lines are. You can set an easy 6 and work on getting 5s and 7s.