PDA

View Full Version : Lessons near central PA?

lionstigersbears
Nov. 19, 2009, 03:37 PM
Well, it looks like I am going to be "home" in central PA for a little longer than expected and I want to start riding now.

I am looking for a barn/trainer near Harrisburg/Grantville, PA with lesson horses (I don't have my own horse) that focuses on eventing. The only barns I know about here are ones I took lessons at or kept my horse at several years ago. Only one of them would I consider going back to, but they don't have lesson horses there.

I have a car so would be willing to travel outside of this area, but not too far, so maybe in the Dillsburg area?

I have tried to google barns, but haven't found anything other than H/J and places I've already ridden at.

Thanks a lot!

hopefultb
Nov. 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
I drive up to ride with Holly Sands in Dover, PA. I don't know if she has lesson horses, but it's worth a phone call/e-mail. She has a really nice place and some good XC schooling.

http://www.stonewoodfarms.net/

Good Luck!

lionstigersbears
Nov. 19, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I checked out the website and it looks really nice... a little further away than I was hoping to have to go, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

EastviewBlue
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:18 PM
www.harvestviewstables.com

Sally Cousins comes every 2 weeks or so for clinics. There are terrific lessons horses to go along with a superb, affordable lesson program. My guy is boarded there and we're very happy, safe eventers!

Tasker
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:02 AM
I was at Harvest View for the CT schooling show yesterday and can attest to the fun & friendly atmosphere! Very nice set up, impeccably care for the horses & ponies and super folks.

beninni3
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
I also ride with Holly Sands, stonewood farms. I keep my horse there and LOVE it. She has a couple good lesson horses of various levels. Lots of XC jumps, a nice big outdoor and a smaller indoor for when the weather gets bad. There are several people at the farm that live 45min + away but believe it is worth the drive for the care of horses and quality of lessons. We also get clinicians in, Sally Cousins a couple times a year and recently Steuart Pittman, as well as other sporatic clinicians. We hope to have Steuart back some what consistently next year. The other nice thing about Holly, is she is willing to let students take lesson horses to shows/events during the year. Very worth checking the place out! Not to mention everyone is very nice and supportive :)