PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Way to Improve the Footing?

xitmom
Nov. 19, 2009, 03:47 PM
The footing in the indoor of the barn where I board has gotten very hard. It is has a lot of sand content and due to the high water table and the fact that the sand has mixed with the prior footing it is now very hard. They tried mixing in finely ground wood chips last year to lighten it but that has not helped. It was deep tined 3 weeks ago and is dragged daily but it is still very hard. The big problem here is that the BO is leasing the barn and the property is for sale. She is willing to invest some money into the footing but not a lot because the barn could be sold at any time and she would not recoup the money. Does anyone have any ideas of inexpensive material to add to the footing to make it more forgiving?

Wanderluster
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have not been happy with wood and organic products to give more spring to dead footing. Adding ground rubber compost has helped to cushion the the jumping arena and spread the footing more uniformly. With daily dragging and watering it has improved immensly but is not inexpensive to get your ring right.

ReSomething
Nov. 21, 2009, 01:08 AM
My first re-riding instructor was in much the same boat with a sub leased facility. What she did was dump the well picked used stall shavings into the arena. Not the best solution but under the circumstances it worked well enough. Did make the footing dustier.

Plumcreek
Nov. 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ths used stall shavings (minus the really urine soaked areas), and some bagged Magnesium Chloride to control dust would work. Add occasional light watering if in a low humidity area.