PDA

View Full Version : Excited about the WEG?

gully's pilot
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
I registered as a volunteer a long time ago, and today I got an email linking me to signups for actual jobs. I'm wildly excited. Anybody else?

deltawave
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
I was, but have found the process of actually signing up to volunteer to be maddening, tedious, and difficult. I get a dozen emails all telling me I need to do this first, but I can't do this because I haven't done that, and they can't accomodate you if you only have specific days that you can work. It's just not working out for me, so I've withdrawn from the process. :( I don't have the luxury of booking that much time off to be as flexible as they need me to be at this point. I understand it's a colossal undertaking and really can't criticize them for how complicated it is, but with my schedule and the way I have to handle time off, it's just not workable.

Add to that the gigantic mess the housing requests seem to be, along with the GIGANTIC costs, and I've decided I'll just watch on TV, take my money and my days off and go to some shows with my own horses. :)

Hilary
Nov. 19, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm going with my mom. I know there's been a lot of complaining about prices etc, but it's in the USA so we can easily go for just a few days, and we are seeing the Dressage freestyle, XC and eventing show jumping, so we're excited.

gully's pilot
Nov. 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm surprised you had trouble with the volunteer site--I signed up awhile ago, but don't remember it to be difficult, and this morning was really straightforward. Reserving a hotel room was a PITA, granted.

wildlifer
Nov. 19, 2009, 02:04 PM
I did volunteer. I am sure not paying any ticket gouging prices to be there. I signed up for jobs -- if it works out, great, my parents' house is only 40 mins from KHP, that'll be easy enough. If it doesn't work out, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it, I have seen many of the competitors in the past and am not buying into the frenzy of "OMG, WEG!" I do appreciate that it is giving our sport some publicity, I just hope that nothing bad happens with so many eyes focused on it.

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Nov. 19, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm excited to watch it live on tv! To much hassle to face the crowds when I can get a better view from my couch. Looks like my best friend has a super good chance to ride in the para as an individual or better yet for the team. I'm more excited for her than for me to watch it :yes:

harveyhorses
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:09 PM
I am, I had to try twice to volunteer, but it seems I am signed up. I think I put in for 'host',or something like that, because I don't have any real experience.

rideforthelaurels16
Nov. 19, 2009, 07:22 PM
I signed up today for D-Box crew for cross-country and Jump crew for showjumping. Now I just need to figure out someplace to stay!

FoxChaser
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:43 AM
I had signed up, but seeing as how I'll now have a 5 month old baby by WEG time, I'm skipping the final sign-up procedures :( I will just buy tickets for the x-c, marathon combined driving, and maybe some show jumping.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
Booo, I signed up MONTHS ago and haven't heard a word.

Tazzie
Nov. 20, 2009, 12:52 PM
One of the reasons I signed up was to be able to afford to see some competitons. Maybe I was asking for too much, but I honestly thought that I could get in for free a few days if I was volunteering. Now that I know that isn't the case, I am seriously considering going. I just can't afford those ticket prices, as much as I'd love to go.

Gunnar
Nov. 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm excited to watch it live on tv! To much hassle to face the crowds when I can get a better view from my couch. Looks like my best friend has a super good chance to ride in the para as an individual or better yet for the team. I'm more excited for her than for me to watch it :yes:

Will it really be broadcast live. What channel? That would be nice!:yes:

Peggy
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:22 PM
Have tickets to some dressage, x-c, and some stadium jumping. Hotel and plane tickets also secured. Slowly getting excited.

Kementari
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:12 PM
Haven't been around for awhile (I hate it when real life interferes with my online fun ;)), but I'll pop back in to say, "ME!" I'm just going to the dressage freestyle and the cross country, but I'm definitely excited. And, to make it even better, I'll be going with friends who I haven't seen in years, including my first riding instructor from when I was a kid.

I'd love to have been able to volunteer, but I can't afford any more time off work...I bet it would be a great experience, though!

FoxChaser
Nov. 22, 2009, 12:41 PM
There was an interesting article in today's Herald Leader about hotel prices for the WEG. Wow!!! I knew there were rumors about them being jacked up, but had no idea just how badly! http://www.kentucky.com/

NowThatsATrot
Nov. 22, 2009, 10:13 PM
Booo, I signed up MONTHS ago and haven't heard a word.

Ditto. :no:

Lisa Cook
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:22 AM
I was looking around online last night and was appalled at the prices of everything from tickets to hotel rooms. $90/day to watch eventing dressage from the cheapest seats? :no: The prohibited items list in regards to just entering the grounds includes "Food and Beverages" :no: $5 bottles of water, anyone?

I did find a Comfort Inn 60 miles away for $90/night and made a reservation to give myself the option of going, but I just can't work up the excitement for it.

A friend of mine said she did the math and it would be cheaper to go to Badminton than the WEG. I totally believe it.

wildlifer
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:55 AM
One of the reasons I signed up was to be able to afford to see some competitons. Maybe I was asking for too much, but I honestly thought that I could get in for free a few days if I was volunteering.

Me too, which is why I feel quite cool about it. I think it was a very poor decision to jack the prices up the way they did and if I'm working my @$$ off volunteering, um hullo, I thought I should at least get one ticket? If I had to pay for lodging, I would be UN-signing up right this very minute.

Kementari
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
I was already feeling lucky to have friends to stay with, but looking at those prices - wow! Really, though, I'm sure you'll find the same surrounding any huge international sporting event. I would really love to know who pays $5000 a night for a hotel room, though... :eek:

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:41 AM
Will it really be broadcast live. What channel? That would be nice!:yes:

Hmm... I honestly can't remember but I know for a fact I watched the last one in Germany on my television. I think it may have been a Canadian channel (I live in Canada). The channel tends to broadcast horse things from time to time lots of spruce meadows and the olympic riding. I can't imagine it not being broadcast :yes: It will probably be on some website to for a fee...

tle
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:59 PM
I live only a 2 hour car ride from KHP and decided a long time ago I would NOT be going. It's a bummer but between the OMG ticket prices, the $$$$ hotel fees for $ hotels, the "you feel lucky to find a bottle of water for only $5" food prices and what I think will be a complete NIGHTMARE of a traffic issue... yeah... no thanks. I got REALLY lucky and was able to go to the Atlanta Olympics to watch the horse events and didn't have to put up with too much in the way of those icky things listed (we stayed in a campground only a half-hour from the horse park but to the east so we had minimal traffic!) I wouldn't mind going, but don't think I can put up with those things. Plus we're still crawling towards selling this place and buying an 18 acre farm... so can't afford it even if I wanted to really.

Have a blast for those who are going. I just can't justify the energy much less the time and $$.

nomeolvides
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
I was looking around online last night and was appalled at the prices of everything from tickets to hotel rooms. $90/day to watch eventing dressage from the cheapest seats? :no: The prohibited items list in regards to just entering the grounds includes "Food and Beverages" :no: $5 bottles of water, anyone?
That's outrageous! What a bloody cheek that you can't even take your own water.

I'm really looking forward to watching the WEG on television. The prices are bad enough for you guys, not a chance would I ever even consider coming over from the UK.

PnkPanthr
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
I signed up to volunteer too. So I am assuming you have to pay for tickets as well?

mares tails
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:41 PM
Will it really be broadcast live. What channel?

NBC Sports (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/44976/nbc-to-be-broadcast-partner-of-weg):
"NBC’s six-hour televised coverage across the 16 days of the 2010 WEG represents the largest major network broadcast of equestrian sport in U.S. television history...

The three days of coverage will be on the three Sundays of the event: one hour on opening Sunday, Sept. 26; three hours continuously Oct. 3; and two hours Oct. 10, which will include the closing ceremonies."

I think the plan has been extended to 6.5 hours, adding 30 minutes to the 9/26 show.

cindylouwho
Nov. 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
I live about an hour from the KHP and have friends coming in from CA. Actually, 2 sets of friends, one group is coming for the driving events and the other for dressage/eventing. I offered them my spare bedroom and 3 bedrooms in my girlfriend's house (what are friends for). They were so happy to have free rooms, that they would not let me pay for my tickets:)

It will be a bargain for all of us or lets just say a cheaper way to go.

tartan
Nov. 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think it may have been a Canadian channel (I live in Canada). The channel tends to broadcast horse things from time to time lots of spruce meadows and the olympic riding.

Are you thinking CBC BOLD? Channel 512 on my dish. I watched Olympic eventing last year, scrambled to activate the channel just in time to see Marius do XC!!

wildlifer
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:05 AM
I signed up to volunteer too. So I am assuming you have to pay for tickets as well?

Yup, they do not give you any tickets for any competition venues.

leheath
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:44 AM
Wow! I guess I got a good deal on the eventing package I bought from Active Trips. It was $1095 for hotel (Days Inn with free breakfast), transportation to/from the airport and KHP, and 2nd row (seriously!! right with the media!) tickets to all the eventing sessions. I then had to pay an extra single supplement, but they will refund that if I find someone to share the room who buys the same package. I then bought a single ticket for the dressage freestyle which overlaps (pricey!). I think they still have some packages available at this price.....