PDA

View Full Version : Need some jingles; update post 10

Minerva Louise
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:43 AM
My daughter's little dog, Oki, had a seizure last night. Or we think it was a seizure... She was sitting in the chair when suddenly she flattened herself down and scrambled around the chair like she was trying to get away from something, and started shaking uncontrollably. I was standing only three feet away and grabbed her to keep her from falling off the chair. I was calling her name but she wasn't "there". She seemed to be looking around but was not aware of her surroundings, and the whole time was shaking- not trembling, but huge tremors.

The whole thing lasted only 30 seconds to a minute.

She seemed to slowly come to from it, and became able to see again. She was really scared and was pretty subdued the rest of the evening.

At this point we have NO IDEA why. I am praying the vets can find something, or that she just never has one again, as these things sometimes go.

Addison
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:32 PM
Well I hope OKI is okay. Jingles form PA.

harveyhorses
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:35 PM
I hope the vet can find something, or better yet Nothing, (had a dogdream?) I kow how scary it is not knowing. Jingles.

Zu Zu
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:37 PM
Jingle for OKI ! Jingle Jingle Jingle !!!!!

Calvincrowe
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:52 PM
Our little Cavalier mix has these. The vet can't find anything "wrong" that is treatable. They are scary aren't they? We just put him on a towel (if we are there during one) in case of "leakage", and he salivates pretty heavily, too, and just talk quietly to him, which he seems to find comforting during the episode. His last 30 seconds to 2 minutes:eek: He is subdued afterward, we offer him water and let him be.

Our vet said "these things just happen" after a battery of tests ruled out the obvious causes. Cavs do have some scary genetic/conformational issues that can cause seizures and death, so we had those looked at, too. He's clean.

Serendipity
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:42 PM
We have a cat who had 2 seizures almost a year ago now, and haven't had any since. Our vet said that it's not uncommon for young animals to have a seizure or two early on, and then none for the rest of their lives.

I hope that is the case for your dog!

gieriscm
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:58 PM
We have a male GSD who regularly had seizures every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes it would just be one, others he'd have "cluster" seizures where he'd have one ever few hours. These weren't mild, either - he'd go down, thrash, snap, snarl, urinate, void his glands, drool, etc. Each one would last 3-4 minutes. One incident was bad enough to send him to the emergency vet.

For a while he was on phenobarbitol, but a high enough dose to be effective also made him so dopey he could barely walk, so he was switched to potassium bromide. Knock on wood, he's been ok for over a year, though we still have pheno and valium on hand just in case.

Addison
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:06 AM
Cavaliers have that tiny little skull that can sometimes put added pressure on the brain and cause seizures. I was also told recently by a breeder cavaliers that the rabies vaccine can cause such problems and you should only vaccinate these dogs for rabies as much as the law requires.

Zu Zu
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:57 AM
Morning Jingles for Oki ~ any update ? ~ hope she is feeling better !

Minerva Louise
Nov. 20, 2009, 03:28 PM
I took Oki to my vet yesterday in case there was anything that was an emergency, then today we went to her breeder's vet for a more complete workup. She passed her neuro exam with flying colors, which rules out something like a stroke or head injury. Thank God for that much.

Her bloodwork came back low on lymphocytes and low on a liver enzyme (amalayse?) The vet said that this would be consistent with perhaps having had a virus that had affected her liver function which might have resulted in the seizure. However, she is a Japanese Chin, and there is epilepsy in Chin, though not so far in this Breeder's lines, so we are going to watch her. I am praying that this was a one-time thing. If she experiences any more seizures we can look at medications.

Here is a photo, though not a very good one as this girl is never still for long, of our wee Chinnie. http://www.flickr.com/photos/36053599@N03/4119757287/

I really, really appreciate everyone's positive thoughts, prayers, and support. I have been a mess for two and a half days. I have two Chin, and love them both dearly. I cannot imagine life without these guys.