PDA

View Full Version : Racetrack peeps - help me win a bet

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:25 PM
Which comes first:

Horse gets gate card
Horse gets tattooed*
Horse gets entered

*And even though I KNOW this, my worthy opponent won't believe me: The horse's papers MUST be in hand in order for the horse to be tattooed, correct?

jengersnap
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
Why the star next to tattooed*?

One and two are arguably interchangable depending on when the TRBP rep gets around. TRBP requires a Certificate of Registration (papers) to get their tattoo (http://www.trpb.com/tatobrnd.htm) . Horses *can* and *have* had one, maybe a couple of starts without a tattoo and thus identified by their markings on their papers but it's the exception not the norm. And to start they'd need a gate card but to get a tattoo they don't. So...pick your answer out of all that lol

About the only part you could solidly win on is the last, yes to the papers for tattooing (see above link) ;)

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
So a horse doesn't necessarily have to be tattooed to have his first start? That's good to know. Thanks!

Bacchus
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:53 PM
A horse can get a tattoo long before it gets a gate card or is entered, and can definitely get a tattoo after it gets a gate card.

It's rare, and I think only under certain circumstances, that a horse can start without a tattoo. Not sure what the circumstances are. It can probably be entered, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could enter a horse in a race before it had its gate card, but I'm not sure about that one. It might depend on the track, too.

So, nothing comes first;)

Calamber
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
Most tracks you definitely cannot race a horse without the identifying tattoo,(thus the position of the person with the rubber gloved hand looking under lips before races known as horse identifier). I do have a funny memory about this at Charles Town but have to save that for another time.

So, if really necessary to have the post positions on our questions it would be:

Post Position 1) gate card
Post Position 2) +3) tattooed and entered (can switch positions)
Post Position 4) raced

pinkdiamondracing
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
I know that in FL at the training centers in Ocala, that the horses must be tattooed in order to receive their gate cards. This I know for fact because all the horses the trainer I was assistant to received from a trainer in Ocala had tattoos but only a handful of them had their gate cards( which had their tattoo number on it) even though none of them hardly knew what the gate was!!!! Two of them acted like they had never seen the gate before, one actually flipped over the first time she was loaded!!! Pretty sure they just pay for the card down there!! Never actually schooling the horse

SleepyFox
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:22 AM
I know that in FL at the training centers in Ocala, that the horses must be tattooed in order to receive their gate cards.

Apparently this really depends on the jurisdiction. I am also used to horses needing a tattoo for a gate card and technically needing a tattoo for an official work. (Although I have not had any checked.) But, I know other places a horse can get tattooed the morning of the race.

You could enter without gate approval but the stewards will scratch the horse if it's not done before the race.

Linny
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:15 PM
In NY he has to have a tatoo to enter the starting gate to race, but he doesn't have to have it to be entered to race. He can get the tatoo between entry time and post time. He doesn't need it to get his gate card, which he must have to start. Since entry time in NY (as of right now, soon to change) is 48 hours or so before the race and most horses don't "work" inside that window, the card card de facto would come before the entry box.

Barbara L.
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:07 PM
There are a few tracks that allow one race without a tattoo, NJ was/is one of them, but I am sure everything else needs to be in order, and a gate card is definitely one of them! (Coggins and foal papers two others!).

SteeleRdr
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:53 PM
I had one that raced at Colonial Downs on the flat and didn't, and still doesn't have a tattoo (he's now 8). He was bred to be, and still is, a steeplechaser. He ran on the flat when he was younger just to get him out and running in groups.

haligator
Nov. 23, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi All,
Jengersnap, Linny and just about everyone explains it from their state/jurisdiction/viewpoint/experience very well. Was your bet for big money or dinner? As explained by everyone so well, sometimes there is not a hard and fast answer.

As with everything in racing (and life), there is an occasional weird exception in a strange situation or in an attempt to deceive (usually caught by astute employees and officials).

Many, many years ago, when haligator weighed 105 (yes, 30 years ago) and would get on ANYTHING (TB, QH, or polo pony) during the day (and then dance all night long), a funny thing happened at Parr Meadows. Some people will question this story, but in the brief time I was at Parr Meadows (a QH track out on Long Island) a small racing operation made a rather starling blunder. Their 'in-house' QH lead/working pony who never raced ended up switched somehow with their entry that evening (both bay). The mistake was discovered afterward. (Actually, I think it was figured out when one of the crew went to saddle the missing pony, took off at a run, but didn't get to the officials in time to stop the gate from being sprung).

Yes, I know you want to know how he ran. 4th! In a rather tight finish for 2-3-4, out of I think 8 runners, may have been 9. I remember this horse dancing on the way back quite pleased with himself! But, he did not get to collect any money due to the situation. I believe the gelding was six years-old at the time. Although there was talk of putting him into training, I never knew how the story came out. I like to think that maybe, just maybe, he went on from there and had a decent career, but I don't know.

Wish I knew the sequel....

Back to writing.

Hallie McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 23, 2009, 04:41 PM
There are a few tracks that allow one race without a tattoo, NJ was/is one of them, but I am sure everything else needs to be in order, and a gate card is definitely one of them! (Coggins and foal papers two others!).

Maryland was one of them at one point, not sure if it still is. I had a horse who was based at Middleburg training center and shipped in to Laurel/Pimlico to run. He made his first start untattooed and got it shortly thereafter.

Hallie, terrific story!

EquineRacers
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:42 PM
Each and every track is different. Here is how mine "usually" follows:

*Horse get gate card
*Horse gets entered
*Horse gets tattoo

Some horses have their first race before tattooed, some are tattooed and never ran, etc

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:54 PM
Was your bet for big money or dinner?

Well, since the "right" answer was "it depends", neither of us won or lost. So the bet was off!

Great story, Haligator.

And thanks, everyone, for your different perspectives. Scary how things are so different from state to state and track to track. All I can say is THANK HEAVENS FOR THE NRC (National Racing Compact)! They have made my life SO much easier over the years.

DickHertz
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:28 PM
It's rare, and I think only under certain circumstances, that a horse can start without a tattoo. Not sure what the circumstances are. It can probably be entered, though.

)

I wouldn't say it's rare. I've raced without a tattoo twice. Depends on how much of a hardass the tattoo guy or girls wants to be. The BRUTAL REALITY is that many breeders are HORRIBLE at getting the correct location of the cowlicks and often they use incorrect terms for markings.

Ok, off my soap box today...Breeders, please get better at this.