PDA

View Full Version : What's your fitness routine?

_downpour_
Nov. 18, 2009, 04:15 AM
I've been doing a few canter & trot sets with my hunter to get him fitter and it really seems to have improved his work - he's less lazy (due to being more fit!) and seems to cope better at shows. What is your routine for developing fitness for XC?

juanbadcat
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:26 AM
I usually take my guy out on the trails 3x per week and use those hills and fields for trotting and cantering. There are also a few logs we can jump on the route and he's always into them! We only do the low level stuff so it's low key.

asterix
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:15 PM
as you might know, we eventers have 1001 routines and are always trading ideas/schedules. It depends enormously on the level you are competing.

Just for a base level of fitness for a horse doing low level eventing, I like to have a schedule which includes a fair amount of trail riding every week, over terrain, at whatever pace we feel like, some walking on roads and up/down hills most days we ride (even 15 minutes of this a couple times a week helps), and one dedicated "fitness" day every week -- I alternate those between a "long" trot over terrain (say, 15 minutes for a lower level horse) and proper "sets," which might be 3 5 minute trots with 2 minute walk rests in between, followed by 3 3 minute canters with 2 minute walk rests in between.

yellowbritches
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:39 PM
I pretty much agree with asterix. Riding in general, lots of hacking, etc, etc, etc is usually plenty for the average lower level horse and is just about all my young training level TB did this year (and he was always still pulling at the end of xc). Asterix does more honest to God fitness work with canters, etc than I do because her boys are BIG guys and don't get fit if you look at them funny like Vernon does (which reminds me once again, asterix, that I need to pick your brain for our big guy). The heavier they are or the higher the level they are going, the more fitness work that needs to be done...but everyone does it differently and most ideas are very good and valid, just depends on what works, what area you have available, and the horse you are sitting on.

Thames Pirate
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:22 AM
Start with in hand walk. Add walk under saddle. Add trot under saddle. Watch horse go lame again. Repeat.

RunForIt
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:29 AM
as you might know, we eventers have 1001 routines and are always trading ideas/schedules. It depends enormously on the level you are competing.

Just for a base level of fitness for a horse doing low level eventing, I like to have a schedule which includes a fair amount of trail riding every week, over terrain, at whatever pace we feel like, some walking on roads and up/down hills most days we ride (even 15 minutes of this a couple times a week helps), and one dedicated "fitness" day every week -- I alternate those between a "long" trot over terrain (say, 15 minutes for a lower level horse) and proper "sets," which might be 3 5 minute trots with 2 minute walk rests in between, followed by 3 3 minute canters with 2 minute walk rests in between.

asterix, how many days do you allow after a hill session or trot sets to do a jumping lesson or dressage lesson...the only time I can get lessons is on the weekend and the only time I can get pony out to do trails and or hills is again ...weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving! :cool: