PDA

View Full Version : Under what circumstances would you want the pet sitter to call you?

JoZ
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:38 AM
Being "between jobs" I have been doing some pet sitting. Most of the owners say "feel free to call me" but it's their vacation so of course I don't want to bother them needlessly. On the other hand, there are certain things I'd want to be apprised of, if I were away. It's such a dilemma!

Do you have any ideas or guidelines? Would you ever call a vet, or take an animal to the vet, without contacting the owner? Would you try to use the same judgment you use on your own animals, or would you be extra cautious? I can see both sides of that one -- I don't want to make mountains out of molehills either.

Here's what came up at my last pet-sitting job --

- Temp was uncharacteristically below freezing a couple of nights, and the rabbit lives outside (and not in a snug hutch, though he does have a heat lamp and enclosed beds to go in)
- Cat getting wet food (just for added calories) would NOT eat it, but ate dry food and drank water fine
- Could not find the dog brush and I had been asked to brush the very very hairy dog -- it was leaving huge tufts of hair everywhere

In these situations I watched the bunny for any signs of discomfort, told the kitty to deal with it, and brought a (clean) horse brush over for the dog. I didn't think any of these warranted contact with the owner and she agreed. But I still would like to discuss this here and maybe get some ideas for ground rules, so I'm not always flying by the seat of my pants!

BTW I can't WAIT to get a full-time job again, I don't have the constitution for pet-sitting... I am too much of a worrier. I'm sure the owners find that a GREAT feature but it stresses me out!

Alagirl
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:46 AM
I'd think unless you are dealing with refusal to eat or situations that warant a vet trip, a call is not necessary (depending on the animal, most can go a few days with less than normal amounts of food intake)

mypaintwattie
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:52 AM
I'm a full-time pet sitter, and owner of a pet sitting company with 200+ clients. I would have to say it depends on the individual client and the situation. Some pet parents are more prone to worrying than others. I usually tell my clients to call or email me if they want am update, or if it's not urgent I will send a text message, picture message, or email to let them know how fluffy or fido is doing. If something major happens, like the one time I was housesitting and there was an earthquake, then I will call immediately to let them know that everything was alright (it was, I was more shaken up than the dog!) If I can't find something I will call or text, and likewise, if the pet is ill or injured I will be on the phone trying to reach the owner or their emergency contact on the way to the vet. In my paperwork I have a release form that allows me to take the animal for medical treatment at the owners expense even if I am unable to reach them. Basically, being a pet sitter requires using your good judgement, and realizing that sometimes that's enough, and sometimes it's not enough, and sometimes flying by the seat of your pants. It's the nature of the job. PM me if you have more questions, I would be glad to help.

Wonders12
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:05 AM
I've been pet sitting quite a bit and have yet to call an owner on vacation. My rule of thumb is: If the thought of "could I need to call the vet" ever crosses my mind, the owner gets a call.

Would you ever call a vet, or take an animal to the vet, without contacting the owner?

If I needed to call or take an animal to the vet, I would DEFINITELY call the owner. If the owner didn't answer, but the animal needed emergency care, I could still take him while trying to contact the owner.

I also ask the people I sit for to leave local contact numbers and I may contact them if the owner is unreachable and I'm contemplating a vet. I wouldn't want to waste the owners money on something normal that she may have just forgotten to tell me.

On that note, I always ask the question, "In the awful situation that something horrible happened, do you have an amount you're willing to spend at the vet or does your vet know what you limits on care are?" I hate asking that question, but once I do their eyes often light up because the realize I know what I'm taking about and want to do the best for them and their animals.

Would you try to use the same judgment you use on your own animals, or would you be extra cautious?

A little bit of both. I observe them closely and take notes on anything odd. When I leave (if I don't see the owner) I always leave a note telling them how wonderful their animals are, explaining anything weird, and telling them to contact me whenever to follow up.

I also think it depends on how long they're gone for. If it's 2 or 3 days, I probably won't call them much. If it's 2 weeks and kitty isn't eating on day 2, 3, or 4, I might give them a call (or shoot them an e-mail if possible to avoid interrupting anything) to avoid any major problems later on.

I also ask if they text. You'd be surprised how many people text these days. I might send something like, "Kitty isn't eating her wet food. She's eating plenty of dry food, drinking, and is otherwise doing well, call me if that's a problem. P.S. All your animals are so much fun be around and I hope your vacation is going great!" That way I'm not interrupting anything or freaking them out, but rather informing them of what's going on and giving them the option to contact me about it.

kookicat
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
I'd want to be contacted if my animal needed the vet.

Best thing to do is ask (and get in writing) what the owner wants you to do. It's also helpful if you can find out about any weird habits that the animal has.

For example, I was looking after my Mum's dog. Now I know that he loves to sleep on his back, and tends to dream a lot, so that didn't worry me. If I hadn't known that, then it would have been a bit worrying. :)

rmh_rider
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:34 AM
I pet sit.

I call each day. You can leave it on the answering machine, cell phone or text. Their choice if they want to read it. ANY thing out of the ordinary, I tell them to call right away.

It does depend on the customer though. But I think it is good customer service to inform them.

AKB
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:58 AM
You may want to design a form for clients. It is best to have info such as permission to take the pet to the vet and the amount they authorize for vet bills, in writing, and signed by them. You may also want to know if they want to be called or emailed for every change (e.g., Brandy refused to eat his grain until 1 hour after feeding time last night, but drank a full bucket of water and ate 10lbs of hay). I think the idea of emailing pictures is great if clients have computer access or an iphone.

Zu Zu
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:04 AM
I pet sit.

I call each day. You can leave it on the answering machine, cell phone or text. Their choice if they want to read it. ANY thing out of the ordinary, I tell them to call right away.

It does depend on the customer though. But I think it is good customer service to inform them.
This is what I would recommend - sounds very good for me and my animals !!!!

imapepper
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:20 AM
My mom always takes care of my dog and I know that he is in good hands. My mom knows him well and would know when a vet trip is necessary. Heck....I call her when in doubt about something my dog needs. She ran a kennel for years.

My horses are self care and I just recently found someone who will be taking care of them during the holidays while I am out of town. I really kind of like the text idea from them. It would make me feel alot better to get a text every day that said "everything is ok" Of course my horses are way more accident prone than my dog so I worry about them more :eek: And I always worry about someone else not seeing a problem. I boarded at one barn that had a very different idea of what a vet call should be. I came out to find my old gelding with a huge gash in his chest that I thought should have been stitched up.....and the barn owner said "It's just a flesh wound. He will be fine". By then, it was a little late for stitches :( So I tend to be a little paranoid :)

Cloverbarley
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:27 AM
When I go away I have my cellphone (and laptop) with me 24 hours a day and my animal carer knows that she can call or text me at any time of day or night in an emergency. She does not call if there is nothing of importance - she's been with me for 5 years so she knows my standards and what I need to know about and what I don't.

If she is unsure about how to deal with an injury or whatever, then she takes a photo of injury and emails it to me. Then I make the call as to whether vet should attend or not.

She knows all the horses, dogs and cats here very well and knows each and every one of their foibles and oddities so when some of them do what they normally do but which might alarm a stranger, she obviously does not worry about it like a person who does not know the animals.

I have so many animals here that I doubt I'd ever be able to get a pet sitter equipped to deal with everything, and even if I could, there's no way I would leave a stranger in charge of the running of this farm in my absence. Way too much responsibility for them.

winfieldfarm
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Preparation is the key. As you get more experienced, you will find that while the owners are telling you what they want, you will learn to be thinking ahead and asking,"what if..." questions. Like what if cat doesn't eat, what would you like me to do?" Lots of pets stop eating when mama goes away. my mother has had lots of collies that mourn for her return when she leaves them with us. The question is, what does owner want you to do with the cat, the food, if cat won't eat.

You handled the missing hair brush fine, no need to call if you can adequately improvise something harmless like this. Owner probably just forgot to put it out for you in the rush to leave for vacation.

Daily updates should be mandatory, not an option for the owner. Tell them this is part of your service and set a way and a time of day they can expect the updates. That way you are setting the boundaries of your services and can sleep at night knowing that you unloaded your day of concerns on the owner and don't have to wonder what they would have wanted to know.

winfieldfarm
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
Oh with regards to the vet, this is a tough call. ALWAYS call the owner before taking an animal to vet.

As an owner, I would be furious with a sitter if they did not contact me first about vetcare. I know my pets best and want to be included in the decisions for vet care.

A sitter should ask or owner should make sitter aware of health issues a pet has. And a written directive should be signed before service starts stating what potential vetting is allowed if owner is unreachable. We have a Heroic Measures form for our boarding clients in case they are unreachable. It's a directive on many malladies like surgical colic, major fractures and the like that are true emergencies. It is only put into play if attempts to reach the owner have failed and the animal needs emergency care to sustain quality of life.

Preparation is the key...things will always happen that are out of anyone's control but a sitter can do a lot to prove their competence to the owner before the owner leaves town. Thorough questions and proper written forms make for a good working relationship between folks.

And for those that may poopoo the leagalize and formality of this approach, I say this. Of course we all want to protect ourselves if something goes wrong. but more importantly, as an owner, I want the most compitant care for my animals. How a person gets the job done can say a lot about their skills. Many pet owners are much more relaxed about their pets but Im not one of them. So I prefer the more prepared and thorough route.

cowgirljenn
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:17 AM
As a pet-sitting client, I would be happy if you asked me what I wanted (call daily? Call for small things? Call for the big stuff?).

My pet-sitter is awesome. The first few times she worked for us, she called after each visit. After then, I told her she didn't need to call unless something happened. I want to be called if someone is hurt, but I've also left permission for vet work (and given my limits on expenses, and given permission to euthanize if that's in the best interest of the animal).

When my mom died a month ago, she didn't call when the horse had an abscess and instead called the vet. I was fine with that as I had other things on my mind and it wasn't something huge. She would have called if it had been something bad.

I'm blessed by her. When my mom died, I called her at 7am. She was on a weekend trail ride and came home early to take care of my guys. She did dishes we left int he sink (totally beyond her job), and I told her I didn't know when I was coming back home. She told me to stay in MO as long as I needed.

I'm completely blessed with her.

1Walks1Trots
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:50 AM
This is such a timely thread. I've always had a good friend take care of my animals that knew how anal I was and knew exactly how to take care of them. I holidayed in bliss, knowing the animals would be fine. Unfortunately, we had a falling out :no: and now I'm hiring a pet sitter. I am meeting with her today to go over the animals and their care. I'm just going to be worried sick and since it's her first time caring for my animals, she can call me for anything. I've asked her to text me each day to let me know she's been there. I'm still a wreck.

About payment, do I leave the money for her when I leave, meet up with her when I get back, mail her a check, etc? How does that work? I was previously only on the reciprocate system.

betsyk
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
I pet sit for others and also have had pet sitters work for us. I hate getting calls for little things... that was actually a big factor in my not using one particular sitter again, because not only did she call me 3 times in one weekend for nothing really important, if she couldn't tell an old cut from a new cut, she didn't have the amount of experience I expect someone to have. If someone called me daily to tell me everything was fine I'd tell them not to do that again. Getting away means getting AWAY.

When I sit for people I tend to base my willingness to call on where they are and what they're doing there. Cruise in Mexico = call for fire, flood, death, dismemberment. Visiting parents in Florida = call when the oven won't shut off. I tend to call for things that haven't gotten better and can turn into a real mess if they get worse, ie, the oven that wouldn't shut off. The dog who decides she will only eat breakfast in her crate, and not in the usual spot in the kitchen = I won't initiate a call but I'll mention it if they call me.

One note to house sitters and those who hire them/us: a call to be sure they got in, the key worked, the alarm went off/on, etc. is a good idea. A friend was really burned by a cat sitter who "forgot" which dates she was supposed to be there, and I"ve had keys that didn't work quite right and really scared me that I wasn't going to be able to get in. As a house sitter, keep those emergency numbers WITH YOU and not just on the kitchen counter, because if you can't get in the house, you can't get to the numbers!

As far as payment: your house sitter will appreciate a check waiting on the counter. So as not to jinx your trip, it's best for them not to deposit that check until you've come home! If it's someone you don't know well and you don't feel comfortable with that, you can leave half and mail the second half when you return. Your reluctance to leave payment for services that haven't been provided is matched by your house sitter's reluctance to provide services with no assurance of payment...

LauraKY
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:38 PM
We pet sit for a lot of the neighbors. They usually leave the money for us or pay when we come by to get the key.

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:03 PM
When I pet sat, I had agreed upon stipulations in writing so that there was never any guess work to it.
I would make suggestions for some people on what is most commonly chosen (for contacting, and vet price caps) for the most part this is what people chose:
~ text message daily updates of critters, or email
~ phone only if something is at risk of being hurt or sick
~ phone vet with any abnormal activity, vet decides if it's warranted to come in. Then owner is called. i would also get a price cap clearance on how much treatment to approve if the owner cannot be reached.

Cloverbarley
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:26 PM
If someone called me daily to tell me everything was fine I'd tell them not to do that again. Getting away means getting AWAY.

I am the same. I only have 6 days away per year and I really don't want to be bothered with nonsense calls about nothing. That's why I love my animal carer; she only calls in emergencies. If she can't find something or wants to know something, she emails me. She knows I value (and need) this time away. My carer is here pretty much daily throughout the year however she lives on site when I am gone, and I know when she does this she very rarely leaves the farm (which I have told her she can, but she says no, because she is responsible for so many animals and has such a great time that she has no need to leave) so I know that everything is being as carefully looked after as it is when I am there.

As far as payment: your house sitter will appreciate a check waiting on the counter. So as not to jinx your trip, it's best for them not to deposit that check until you've come home!
I pay my lady on my return, right after giving her her gifts from my trip. She then always gives me the whole run-down of what has happened whilst I've been away; as I say, she knows exactly how I handle things anyway and she deals with them in the same competent fashion... and that's why I use her year in, year out; because I know everything will be all present and correct and I can relax and have fun during my time away.

bdj
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:46 PM
I pet sit for a few folks (who are pretty much all personal friends) and let them know that for me, "no news is good news" - I don't call unless there's an emergency. I do, however, welcome calls from them - and at least one of my clients/friends does call and check in at least every other day - they're VERY attached to their dog, and really miss him when they go away. Other folks don't call at all - one job lasted about three weeks, and I don't think I heard from them at all until they got back!

As far as vet emergencies - everybody I sit for has to leave me with their vet's phone number(s) and most call their vet in advance or give me a letter (dated for the current trip) that gives me the ability to authorize services in case of emergency. And then, they have to trust my judgment, and that of their vet. If I did have to take somebody to the vet (or call the vet out), I will definitely call to let the owners know what's going on, but I'm not going to wait on them to get back to me (if they're on a cruise and have limited phone/email access, for example) in a real emergency.

As far as payment goes - most folks I sit for leave a check or cash on the kitchen counter when they leave, but I don't deposit it until the job is finished! There are a few folks who pay me in person on their return when I give them their keys back. Either way is fine with me, because I don't generally sit for "strangers".

deltawave
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'd like a call if our barn-sitter saw or noticed the following: 1. Anything that would make her think "I need to call the vet". 2. Anything that would make her think "something is wrong with one of these animals" that is more than a scrape or an owie. 3. Something is not working in the barn that can't be dealt with or done without (waterer, fence, leaking pipe, etc.) until we get home. 4. She needs something that I forgot to make available (warmer blanket, medication, etc.) I've had the same barn-sitter for almost 3 years, and at first I did get a few calls (Gwen's EPM symptoms were weird, I think Bonnie had a loose shoe once, a torn blanket, the fence charger is flashing, etc.) but she knows my horses, my barn and my routine so well now that she just knows how to deal with things. :) All in all, I'd rather get a call than not get a call, though, you know? Kate always sends an email after her last visit for the week or weekend, and lets me know "all's well" and whether there were any little things. Usually I get that email as I'm traveling home and it makes me feel good knowing that I'm not coming home to any surprises! (PS, sorry in advance if this is all one big, unformatted blob of a paragraph--my browser is not letting me put in spaces between paragraphs for some reason!)

CDE Driver
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:38 PM
One thing that I always do is call the horse and dog vet and tell them I am going out of town and the name of the person that I really hope does not call them.

Wizard of Oz's
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
I think it depends on the individual owner as to what they prefer. I'm very protective of my animals, and when I go away the pet resort that they stay at calls us whenever they have an issue. Our dogs(and guinea pig) have been boarded there for almost 10 years and they know that we like to know if anything becomes an issue. One of my dogs once had a very messy accident all over his bed, and since they called us to let us know, we had them go out and buy the same bed for him, and add it to our bill. I am way more protective of my horse, and when I go out of town I call the barn/whoever is taking care of him every day to check on him. He is much more prone to accidents and issues than my dogs, so I have reason to worry. He also fakes being lame every time I leave town. No idea how he knows I'm leaving but it happens every time:lol: I get so frusturated when I go out of the country and can't call!

wendy
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
a pet-sitter who called daily or called about stupid little things would be fired instantly by me. I would only want a call for a major disaster (house burned down, etc.) or some kind of vet emergency, and in the case of a vet emergency I would sincerly hope the pet-sitter gets the animal to the vet and stabilized before trying to get hold of me. A pet-sitter who can't identify a vet emergency should seek another line of employment. I'm willing to pay $$$ for a very qualified pet sitter.

Long Spot
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:31 PM
One thing that I always do is call the horse and dog vet and tell them I am going out of town and the name of the person that I really hope does not call them.

I do the same, and also leave a written letter for the sitter to take to the vet if they need to visit, stating that I have given permission to person x to have my animals treated, and that I will be responsible financially for any and all care they may give to the animals after person x has brought them in.

moonriverfarm
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:50 PM
I pet sit and have never called the owner except to say (the first time) that the dog was settled in fine. I always let the owners know THEY are welcome to call me as much as they want. Most people i sit for like to leave it all behind when they go out of town and that includes a vacation from a ton of phone calls. I have a contract that gives me permission to take the animal to the vet in an emergency situation, or have the vet out if it is a horse. I never mind owners calling to check on their babies. I just don't call them unless it is an emergency. Same goes if I leave a sitter with my pets.

Guin
Nov. 18, 2009, 04:00 PM
I want to be called for: bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, or a bite wound from another animal.

I do NOT want to be called, texted, or otherwise messaged with cheery little updates, because frankly, I am well aware how cute they are when they roll over, take treats, or steal your socks. Nor do I care if the cat brought in a mouse. Catch the mouse and put it outside all by yourself.

fivehorses
Nov. 18, 2009, 05:25 PM
I have my farm sitter call once a day, we predetermine it.

I always have them call me the first meal...
they always seem to have questions, etc

I also do this, because once a friend of mine, who was also my farm sitter screwed up and thought she was caring for someone's farm the following weekend, and the poor horses were in their stalls for 4 days without water or food. Needless to say, the owner was not happy. I think one horse may have died. The farm sitter had nothing, so owner could not even recoup the vet bills, etc.

Anyhow, I don't mind being called, and like a check in once a day.

I don't go away often either, like almost never. I have ten horses, dogs, cats, chicken, geese, goat, rabbit...may be missing a species, and I want to know whats going on.

In my experience, the farm sitter also likes that, since some of the pressure is off them, when they can ask me questions, etc.

Each of us is different.

Thomas_1
Nov. 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
I'd say that is something you need to agree with the owner having given the matter careful thought beforehand.

I do know though that if I was on holiday or away on business and got a call because there was temperature change, a fussy eater and a lost hair brush that I'd not trust the person who was calling to take responsibility and manage things on my behalf.

Casey09
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
I would probably try to discuss it in the initial meeting when going over the animals and their care. Some people are going to be more "worriers" (as in "I wonder if everything is ok?, etc.). Those people are probably going to find updates reassuring. Other people are going to assume everything is fine unless contacted, and view unnecessary information as an intrusion. If you discuss it with them beforehand, it might give you a better idea of what would be best for that client.
I would also discuss vet care beforehand. In a true emergency, I would want the petsitter to go ahead and call the vet before trying to call me. I sometimes misplace my phone or leave it behind, so I would really worry about someone who was going to try to reach me before doing anything. Obviously, if it was for a non-emergency situation, that would be a different matter - but in an emergency, contact a vet, then worry about contacting me. That works the same in daily life - if my horse was colicing at the boarding barn, I know they'd go ahead and call the vet if they couldn't reach me, which is how I prefer it.

Bogie
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:31 PM
One time when I was away in England my horse was badly kicked. Horse sitter didn't notice it until his leg was hugely swollen. He required a vet visit, IM antibiotics 2x/day for a week and then oral antibiotics for 10 days. I was lucky that he came sound.

I didn't hear about it until I got off the plane and had 12 voice messages. I was furious. I had left contact information and specific instructions to call me if there was any reason that she had to call the vet.

Her excuse? I didn't want to bother you while you were on vacation. Then she handed me a large bill for the extra care provided.

Needless to say, I never used her again.

I encourage my current horse sitter to call me or text me if she has any questions. I am always happy to answer them. Now that she's worked for me for more than a year I rarely get a call unless there's a real problem. But I always want to know if there's a vet involved.

Do you have any ideas or guidelines? Would you ever call a vet, or take an animal to the vet, without contacting the owner? Would you try to use the same judgment you use on your own animals, or would you be extra cautious? I can see both sides of that one -- I don't want to make mountains out of molehills either.

Nezzy
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:37 PM
When we went to Kauai from PA(12 hour flight), we were going to be gone for 10 days and we could not do anything from Kauai to help out, so we had my FIL stay at our house with our dogs, gave him the #'s of all vets, including emergency vet, gave him cash and a credit card in case of emergency. if one of the dogs were to die while we were gone, he was NOT to tell us until we got home. There is nothing we could do about it, so why tell us when we are away? We'd only be crying for the rest of the trip. My horse was under the care of my barn and a note left to call my BFF to make any life or death decisions. We would pay him for any inconveniences when we got back. Also he was not to tell us if my horse died until i was home to deal with it. i check with my vets beforehand and i also leave a note in case that person needs to make a decision.

Nothing bad happened.

I think this is pretty much my theory on all of our vacations, but we'll only leave the animals with people who can handle making the tough decisions.

NEWT
Nov. 18, 2009, 07:57 PM
My petsitter had some very good questions for us.
#1. Can you call us as soon as you get home? That way we know that your flight was delayed and that we may need to come over the next day, even though we aren't scheduled for it to feed your pet.
#2. If something catastrophic happens to you, who do we call to claim your pets?

I'm glad they were thinking of all angles.

Oh, I give a release waiver to them which basically says the vet has permission to perform whatever services are needed in an emergency up to $1000. After that, I need to be called to authorize more treatment. I leave a cc number on file at the vets.

f4leggin
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:58 PM
For awhile, the running joke (and it's not funny) was that no one wanted to pet sit for me because something always died while I was gone.

So, I do want a call if someone dies. I make a point of getting sitters I can trust, and not using ones again, if anything is off when I get home. I have had major accidents with horses - but I also leave contact numbers of friends in the area my sitter can call if something comes up. In the past when there has been a problem - my friend has been the one to call me. We know each others horses very well and she can tell me what's really going on, as well as stay up all night with a horse if required. She also is the one with the trailer to take the horse to the hospital.

I usually call after the first feeding to make sure everything went OK, and certainly call when we are back home. I don't mind calls when I'm on vacation - I've never had too many, if a sitter was calling me too much I would worry they didn't know what they were doing, or I would just tell them they didn't need to call me for every little thing.

Jill

Ben and Me
Nov. 19, 2009, 05:46 PM

I CANNOT emphasize this enough! The clinic where I used to work was a real stickler about people bringing in pets without explicit permission from the owners.

JoZ
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone!

Both of my recent clients had taken care of everything with their vets (small and large animal). I had MapQuested the location of the small animal vets and brought the directions with me.

Regarding everything else -- what this thread really tells me is that I will just have to ask! I'll try to come up with a succinct and gentle way of doing so. I can see how some folks might not want their pet-sitter to ask what she should do if the animal dies, or if the traveling owners die. What a buzz-kill! I'm just kidding, it makes perfect sense, but I would like to keep it as matter-of-fact as possible.

I also like the idea of texting or emailing. But the owners can tell me what THEY would prefer.

bdj
Nov. 20, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'll try to come up with a succinct and gentle way of doing so. I can see how some folks might not want their pet-sitter to ask what she should do if the animal dies, or if the traveling owners die. What a buzz-kill! I'm just kidding, it makes perfect sense, but I would like to keep it as matter-of-fact as possible.

Don't stress too much over that - most clients are going to be happy that you made a point of asking, if they haven't told you what they want already. And you don't have to be really ... specific about how you ask, either - a simple "If something happens to you while you're gone, who should I contact?" is probably going to cover most situations. And it'll probably remind them to give their pet-emergency contact-person the heads up that a) they're going to be out of town, and b) you will be pet-sitting, so the emergency contactee will know who you are if you DO have to contact them (and vice versa).

I would hazard to guess that most owners will want to get a phone call if the worst happens, and the ones that don't want that call really ought to let you know that in advance (as Nezzy explained so well in a previous post). Either is totally cool, but if they don't want that call, they really do NEED to leave you with instructions as to how to handle the situation. (I did have one owner who told me point blank that if any of the horses died while he was gone to just call Valley Protein... might not be what I'd want to do, but hey - at least the situation was totally clear to me! - Nothing happened while he was gone, though!)

texang73
Nov. 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
I do the same, and also leave a written letter for the sitter to take to the vet if they need to visit, stating that I have given permission to person x to have my animals treated, and that I will be responsible financially for any and all care they may give to the animals after person x has brought them in.

Ditto this. When I went to Morocco for 6 weeks, I did this, just in case. Thankfully didn't need it!

I am also in the camp of "no news is good news", though I still sent an e-mail a couple times a week checking on my "kids"... :D

belleellis
Nov. 20, 2009, 04:05 PM
I am also one of those while I was gone or not available all my old animals passed away. First old dog passed away at my moms while half way across the country with work. Second my horse got kicked in the leg and shattered it while I was in surgery, fully knocked out.
So with that said I am the NUT client. My two dogs go to doggy day care and LUV it. I call about every 3rd day and check on them. I have left them over the last two years with them for 6 days, 10 days, 4 days, 4 days, several weekends. Already booked for 5 days next week and 4 days at Christmas. They have forms with all info, vet, cell numbers, back up vet. Treatments you wantOn top of that the 6 day (out west) and 10 day trip (Hawaii) we left hotel information (phone/room number).
We board the horses. They know if they can not get hold of us take them to the vet. We will pay for their time/gas and they know the vet has written instructions. The old horse is not a surgical candidate due to age but the pony already has the written permission filled out to go the big horse clinic if our vet determines that is what it will take.
In addition they all know my vet has detailed instructions on all my animals. My pets are not a financial decision as I am blessed enough to say and do that. However their quality of life is the indicator and my vet gets to make that call. My vet laughs at me but they love me and my pets. Vet knows treat pony like his own. Treat dogs like your own. I trust my vets judgement and am so thankful for that.

The best thing you can do is talk to each one of your clients about their expectations. Mine both know I am nuts and we laugh about it but they understand why with the history. I never want my pets to suffer because I can not be reached.

rivenoak
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
I don't want to be called, for anything.

Our house sitters are clients of the same vet & the vet knows she can take instructions from the sitters. The vet also knows my feelings on what should be done for the dogs.

For the horse, whenever I go out of town, I tell the barn manager to "call Dr Jimmy & the insurance company if anything happens." I used to tell her that the other horse wasn't a colic surgery candidate; this one is.

There's nothing I can do from far away & I wouldn't come back early if something did.

I know it might seem coldhearted to some people. That's just me.

My husband called me on vacation to tell me my cat died. One, thanks for ruining my trip and two, what am I supposed to do about it? He needed hand-holding about shoveling the cat into a garbage bag. :rolleyes:

JanM
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:06 PM
I agree with the others-ask the owner, and some will want hourly updates, but most will only want to know about either major emergencies with the animals or the house.

One thing about house/pet sitters here that bother me is they like to advertise their services by having magnetic signs saying the business name and what they do on their car doors. It certainly isn't a good way to have people think I'm actually home is it? I might as well put a sign on the front lawn saying that I'm away and they should feel free to rob the place. So I swap with friends, or just board the dog, stop the mail and take my chances.

littleum
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
The few times I've had a pet sitter, I've left clear instructions:

- If you think something is amiss, feel free to call me. I would prefer you be overly cautious and call me, then to worry about bothering me.

- If you think kitty may have a minor medical issue that a vet should *probably* see, call me. Chances are I'll tell you to go ahead and take her, but clear it with me first.

- If there is an OBVIOUS urgent or emergency situation (blood, obviously traumatic injuries, obvious serious illness) get the cat to the vet FIRST. Once the vet has the cat in hand, THEN call me to let me know, and have the vet's office contact me directly from there.