PDA

View Full Version : What is *WRONG* with people?????

LAZ
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:23 PM
OK, I don't usually complain about others on here...but for the 2nd time this year someone has dumped off their unwanted cats on me (or my farm). Last time it was a sweet, pregnant, black cat and this time it is two little orange kittens (on a 41 degree, cold, rainy day).

So I ask--what is wrong with people? What makes anyone think it is OK to dump a poor animal in strange surroundings with no provisions for the animals care, in a place where they are just as likely to get hit, killed by another animal or starve to death? Why is it that it becomes *MY* responsibility to spay/neuter/feed these poor abandoned souls?

I think all pets should be spayed or neutered, and if the owner can't take care of them it is their responsibilty to find a home for the pet or euthanize it.

I say we round up all the idiots that dump animals, take them downtown to the nearest big city, remove all their clothes, cell phones, credit cards, etc and abandon them downtown naked....

Wayside
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, a couple of months ago my mother had to take a kitten to the vet that someone literally threw out the car door as they were driving past her property. What kind of creep throws a kitten out of a car to get rid of it?!? :mad:

Thankfully for us, the local vet clinic has a homeless pet fund, and they don't have too much trouble placing kittens, so they took it in, patched it up, and one of the techs has a sister who took it home.

My current house cats are two declawed kitties that got dumped at the barn, and had no idea how to fend for themselves, too.

Yeah, it drives me nuts how many people think that just because there's a barn somewhere, it's the perfect spot for their unwanted kitties. Ugh.

Serendipity
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:47 PM
Oh I hear you! At my family's farm, a miimum of 3-4 cats get dumped every year, especially around late fall. It's so heartbreaking, and so very frustrating.

There was one in particular, where my Mom saw a car stop on the road by their place, and she thought they dumped a cat. She kept looking for the cat, and kept hearing the little thing crying, but the poor kitten was so scared that she would hide whenever anyone was close. But she would cry and cry.

Finally, after about 4 weeks, the poor kitten was so starved and weak, she was trying to eat a plastic dog bone left out in the front yard, and my Mom was able to catch her. She was about 7 months old, and weighed less than 2 pounds. The vet didn't think she would survive the week.

She did survive, and is now a happy "city cat" living with me, 3 years later. But, to this day, she is beyond terrified of car rides (really fun times trying to take her to the vet, even though she likes the vet once she's there!), and whenever she gets upset, she will run straight to the food dish and eat all of the food within reach. We named her Karma, because hopefully whoever dumped that sweet girl gets the same treatment back in spades someday. I will never, ever understand how a person could do that.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
In high school I had a friend who captured two feral cats (a male and a female). The female had kittens a day or so later... they kept everybody until the kittens were weaned, and then the adult cats disappeared.

I asked about it, and her mother told me that she had taken them and dumped them off at a farm in Amish country. She saw absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. (wth, REALLY?)

I was livid. And I only got more angry when all the kittens subsequently tested positive for FIV and were dead before they were a year old- how many more FIV+ kittens did those two adult cats add to the world? How many adult cats did they spread it to?

People make me mad sometimes. :mad:

Hampton Bay
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:35 AM
We get animals dumped here occasionally. This spring a stray GSD ended up letting herself into my yard. She was a BEAUTIFUL dog. She knew how to sit, lay, shake, speak, and stay. A bit neurotic with cats, but otherwise a wonderful dog who loved her people. Not spayed, so probably was a young breeding dog (given the training).

No microchip, and no one responded to ads or reported missing a dog matching her description. Very sad for the poor dog.

Trees4U
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:25 AM
In my case the unwanted kitty filled a void- my SPCA rescued shepherd cross died of cancer after only 2 months :cry: and within 2 weeks this skinny kitty was sitting on my deck. I am not a cat lover but was so sad over my loss- now after a year she is my buddy ( I call her puppy ;))

But i know what you mean ..

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:31 AM
This has been going on forever. When I was a kid people would dump their dogs and cats off at the public landing 3 doors down the road. My father swore that his 2 llewellyn setters invited the animals over to our house.
But we had to take them to the pound where they were killed.
Right now I have Cloudy's cat, the one who was dumped off at the barn as a kitten 6 yrs ago. I brought Tobey home when he was a year old, because the eagles at the barn and the vicious Bouvier dogs that the BO bought were going to get him.
Disposable animal society of ours.

tle
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:18 AM
Happens often at my old boarding barn. Jen's amassed quite a collection of felines. Thankfully, our local HS does spays/neuters quite reasonable for barn cats (and free for ferals).

This is something I am NOT looking forward to when we buy the farm.

IdahoRider
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:29 AM
It is due to the myth that the dumper uses to comfort themselves as they boot the animal out of the car and drive off:
animals need to live on a farm to be happy.

They are just trying to make sure the animal is happy. That way that don't have doubts about the morality of the abandonment.

It is pretty common everywhere (except maybe those communities so small that everyone knows who owns what).
Sheilah

mjrtango93
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:39 AM
We are having a really big problem with animal dumping this year at our barn. We haven't had any dogs yet, but this year alone we have caught 4 cats and re-homed them, and currently have 5 more that we are feeding trying to gain enough trust in to catch. Luckily we have a woman that boards at our barn that her husband is a vet. If we catch them and take them to him he will spay/neuter and post ads in his office to try and place them. 2 years ago now someone dumped 8 show rabbits at the barn. The BO and her daughter drove home one night to find all these rabbits in the road, they were obviously pets because they could walk right up to them and pick them up. We caught them, and people at the barn ended up adopting them all. My sister took one for her classroom that is seriously the sweetest rabbit in the world. The idiot dumped these rabbits in fall with clipped claws and show trims! IDIOT!!!!!

moonriverfarm
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
It's the "out of sight out of mind" mentality. And the most irresponsible, cruel, unkind sort of practice. People think if you live on a farm you can take in a million strays. Trouble is, who pays for them to be neutered so they don't multiply? Who pays for shots, food, shelter for these off-loaded animals? And who says the farm owner isn't a crazed animal abuser? PEOPLE DON'T THINK.

bird4416
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:16 PM
My sweet 6 month old kitten got attacked by a feral tom that I'm sure someone dropped off awhile back. He got a nasty bite wound and now I have a vet bill and Junior is going through a course of anti-biotics. I've been trying to catch him and get him neutered but he managed to escape the trap the first time and now is too wiley to go in it again. Its a very frustrating problem.

chai
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:58 PM
It is horrible, isn't it? Each of our pets has a story like that: the pony whose family moved away and left him behind, the ancient pin fired OTTB who hauled kids through the show ring safely for years and was heading for auction when we bought him from a boarder to save him, the collie mix whose owner dumped him in a neighborhood and drove off, the Kuvasz who was left at the shelter, the Greyhound who was 'adopted' by a crazy granddaughter for her elderly grandmother who died shortly afterward, leaving the dog in need of yet another home, the cats who were left here or we took in after hearing their sad stories.

It just never ends. My eight year old son brought one kitten home when he found the neighbor boys throwing it around because the Mom told them to 'get rid' of it. She was so typical of the ignorant human who is totally without compassion or a sense of kindness. I was so proud of my son for standing up to those bullies in training when he grabbed the kitten and ran up our driveway with it.
The problem is so huge and overwhelming, I try to look at it this way. Those of us who love animals and care about stewardship just do the best we can. Sadly, we can't rescue all of them or even enact fitting justice for the ones who suffer but we just do the best we can for the ones that cross our path in life.

Huntertwo
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:09 PM
I say we round up all the idiots that dump animals, take them downtown to the nearest big city, remove all their clothes, cell phones, credit cards, etc and abandon them downtown naked....

Nah, thats too easy. I'd rather see more pain inflicted. I hate these people!! :mad: Society has no use for animal abusers.. Get rid of them.

bludejavu
Nov. 18, 2009, 05:16 PM
In my case the unwanted kitty filled a void- my SPCA rescued shepherd cross died of cancer after only 2 months :cry: and within 2 weeks this skinny kitty was sitting on my deck. I am not a cat lover but was so sad over my loss- now after a year she is my buddy ( I call her puppy ;))

But i know what you mean ..

I am a cat lover but I had to comment that I had a similar incident about five Decembers ago in that a dump-off filled a big void in my life. On the coldest day of the season (rainy, windy and nearly freezing temps) I kept hearing a kitten mewing. I looked around the house and kept looking all day but couldn't find the kitten.

I was recovering from a horse accident that aggravated an old injury and was in a lot of pain at that time. Christmas shopping wasn't happening because I could barely walk, I had to ask my Mother to have everyone at her house because I couldn't do it, and I was very very depressed.

As it got dark, I could still hear the kitten and finally it appeared on my porch. I tried all evening long in the bitter cold to catch the kitten with no luck. I about decided she must be pretty feral and came inside to give up. At that time, I heard a sound at one of our french doors and there she was, literally scratching at the window pane. It broke my heart and I knew she couldn't be feral if she did that, just scared. So I got sneaky - I put out a saucer of warmed milk right by the door and watched the kitten literally follow her nose across the porch to the milk. Then I opened the door just a bit (by this time, it was 11:40 p.m. and it was my last attempt for the night). The kitten took me up on my offer, came thru the door and she has been here ever since. She is the MOST loving cat I've ever owned. Her sister, I discovered later, ended up at a neighbor's house and she is still living there - also a very loving cat.

She cheered me up thru Christmas and I just decided "Christy" was a keeper. :D http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/members/bludejavu-albums-farm++family-picture22012-christy-another-stray-who-stayed.html

To answer the OP's question, it still infuriates me to think of who ever dropped off barely weaned kittens on our farm, and to do it in such horrible weather as we were having!

Serendipity
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
Ok, so now that we've justifiably ranted about it, what (if anything) can we do? I do volunteer with a cat rescue organization in the city where I live, but I mean on a specific farm-related note; is there anything that can be done to stop the dumping of unwanted animals at farm properties?

I know that there are a lot of cottages in the area where my family's farm is, and that the general belief with the full-time residents in town is that the "city people" a.k.a the cottage owners are dumping their "cottage" kittens at the end of the season.

This makes sense given that most of the dumped cats that we see are right at the end of the summer season. However, I am a "city person" myself, and would never, ever do something like that. But, is this trend something that others see too? If it' s true, is there a way to educate these idiots so that they don't think that "animals need to live on a farm to be happy", as another poster said?

Incidentally, I do have to say, if those people really thought that "they will be happier on a farm" myth was true, I would expect that they would have the nerve to bang on the door of the farm, and say "hi there! we have a cat/dog/rabbit here for you!" Funny how that never seems to happen.

vacation1
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think some people don't think of animals as anything other than just nice, sometimes fun creatures that exist for human amusement and don't really count, if you know what I mean. It's kinda awful, but with people who've never had a particular bond with an animal or to people without much imagination, it seems like a common attitude. These people aren't going to be educated by a poster or an PSA. I don't think there's much you could do with them except possibly criminalize dumping and getting the police and prosecutors to really go after a few of them to set an example.

Then there are people who feel it's wrong, do it hoping that nothing bad will happen to the animal, and are furtive in large part because they know they'll get flack for it if caught. They could be discouraged by an educational approach.

Arcadien
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
I had someone put a kitten inside my horse trailer, with a can of food, while I was at work, and drive away.

It was a hot late summer day and luckily I got home while it was still weakly mewing.

Might ruffle feathers, but I think more people need to accept the reality that a merciful death is not the worst thing that can happen to a creature, if it is sick or they cannot take care of it themselves.

(Sigh).

Thank you for caring for the wittle unwanted wittens. :)

LAZ
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
Ok, so now that we've justifiably ranted about it, what (if anything) can we do? I do volunteer with a cat rescue organization in the city where I live, but I mean on a specific farm-related note; is there anything that can be done to stop the dumping of unwanted animals at farm properties?

I know that there are a lot of cottages in the area where my family's farm is, and that the general belief with the full-time residents in town is that the "city people" ak..a the cottage owners are dumping their "cottage" kittens at the end of the season.

This makes sense given that most of the dumped cats that we see are right at the end of the summer season. However, I am a "city person" myself, and would never, ever do something like that. But, is this trend something that others see too? If it' s true, is there a way to educate these idiots so that they don't think that "animals need to live on a farm to be happy", as another poster said?

Incidentally, I do have to say, if those people really thought that "they will be happier on a farm" myth was true, I would expect that they would have the nerve to bang on the door of the farm, and say "hi there! we have a cat/dog/rabbit here for you!" Funny how that never seems to happen.

I dunno, anything that moves slowly enough to get caught around here gets spayed/neutered and if I were ever to catch someone in the act of dumping an animal I'd prosecute whatever was left of them after I'd gotten through with them.

Maybe if every person had to vounteer at the Humane Society (or their equivilent) and see all the perfectly healthy and darling animals that come in only to be euthanized they would never be careless with their animals, or if they had to caretake a severely injured HBC animal until it could be tended to or if they had to nurse a starved animal back to health they would understand that with animals comes responsibility.

But I'm not holding my breath...

Here are my latest walk-ins:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2898611&id=641567647

Tango14
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:25 AM
Peole are unbelievably unthinking, uncaring and downright cruel. I agree, the only way to force people who need to be forced to care for animals is totally criminalize it. Make it such a stiff penalty that people think long and hard before they breed / dump / abuse animals. I know it won't stop the problem altogether because lots of animals will still slip through the cracks, but people should have to be registered to breed anything. There should be rules and regulations and people to enforce them. Just not enough is being done to stop the breeding.

The poster who said that many people don't look at animals as anything other than a distraction is completely correct. I guess they're wired differently and I feel terribly sorry for them,they have no idea what they're missing out on. However, I also believe that many of these same people can be educated and made aware.

Since corporal punishment of the severest kind sadly isn't an option for animal abusers (of any type) then a long stint working for an animal rescue / rehabilitation center would be a good second choice. It might arouse a sense of empathy for those who cannot fend for themselves.

I think something we can all do is to volunteer just a little time to rescue and rehabilitation organizations. I believe that lots of depression could be avoided by doing this. We'll forget our minor problems when we see just how tough some creatures have it...
We also need to stand up and be counted when we see friends and family with unsterilized animals. Educate them!!

I speak as one of those who couldn't imagine life without my animals, esp my cats. Whoever says cats are independent and stand-offish haven't a clue what they're talking about. A stand-offish cat is simply one that hasn't been shown enough affection.

pinkdiamondracing
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:02 AM
I have a shelter adopted dog my DH and I rescued a bit over a year ago who really isn't working out here at our house.
He doesn't get along well with one of the other dogs in the house, has to be inside anytime we do anything with the horses, chases the house cats around the house, runs off if let out to go potty unsupervised, has to be left on the enclosed porch if we leave the house because if he is left inside, he poops on the floor, and just generally is kind of a bad seed.

That being said, he was a drop off at the shelter-- abandoned there by someone who treated him badly, so he is also a submissive urinator. If you scold him, he will pee all over.

Although I know this dog is not a good fit for our home, I accepted the responsibility for his life when we adopted him, and though we have discussed finding him an only-dog type home, I cannot bear to think what might happen to him if we were to re-home him, nor can I bear to end his life needlessly, so we just love him and do the best we can with him, in hopes that with time he will change.

Sorry to hijack, just thought I would demonstrate how cruel and thoughtless people are. Here I am with a dog I love but who really is not a good fit for my home, and rather than taking him back to the shelter, rehoming him, or dumping him off, I am trying to make the best of a not so good situation.

It doesn't help that he has the sweetest eyes and face.:cry:

riderboy
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I know. People can really suck. We have 3 beautiful barn kitties now that were dumped and we love them. But they just got lucky. I like the old saying, "I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!"

LauraKY
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:52 AM
I really believe these people are ignorant (and lazy) enough to think they are giving the animal a chance for a good life. That is, the ones that drop them off, not throw them out of speeding cars. Why don't they neuter them, for Pete's sake!

We just acquired our fourth dog. Dropped off on Thursday night. The animal shelter in our county is a kill shelter, they keep them for 5 days for the owner to claim them and then put them down. I understand they have room for 30 dogs and only have 5 at a time. So much for the word "shelter". This "wonderful" shelter also adopts out animals that have not been neutered. Humane society says the guy running it should have retired years ago. Another good ole boy. Sometimes I really hate this county!

We tried to adopt him out, but he has some hound in him and I've been told they are very hard to adopt out. So he's ours. Four has to be the limit. I sure hope that no more are dropped off! This is the second one in 6 months.

We also have two adopted cats (barn & garage) and probably 6 more we're feeding. That's in addition to the rescue horse and my daughter's retired horse. We work to feed the animals!

I understand there is a stretch of highway in eastern Kentucky where pet owners routinely drop off their dogs. Poor things wait by the side of the road for days for their owners to come back. What about the people who had their houses foreclosed on and left their pets behind locked in the houses? What is wrong with people? Do they have no sense of right and wrong?

Just makes me sick!

kari
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:56 AM
People dump animals off at my farm all the time. I don't understand it. Because I have a barn and some land and two horses, I must be rich and can take care of your animals too? One time I came home from the grocery store and there was a box on my front porch. Now keep in mind my driveway is a half a mile long, and the gates have "no trespassing" signs on them. Inside the box were two kittens. What the heck?
Last month someone dumped a dog off on my property and obviously told her to "stay", because she stayed around my farm for four days before I took her in. Then I called animal control and the police from the four surrounding towns. Well guess what...no report of any missing/lost dogs matching her description. So that brings my dog count to 6. Three of whom are rescues.
People who are mean to animals suck.

dressagetraks
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:10 AM
Ongoing problem. Cats are dumped here all the time. I, too, have seen a kitten actually tossed out of a moving car. I keep what I can, take the rest to the shelter. If they do wind up PTS, that is a better end than many dumped-off animals have.

I also recently discovered, when I got my dog (NOT a dump-off but a responsible rehoming from a former place where she wasn't working out), that my youngest brother, who lives on the farm with me, gets offered animals all the time at work. His coworkers have found out that he's on a farm, so they are always pushing cats/dogs/rabbits/whatever, because farms always want more animals, after all. He was quite glad that I got a dog to give him further ammunition in saying no.

At least those people aren't dumping, but the "our unwanted animals must clearly want to live on a farm, and all farms must need more animals" philosophy is obviously deeply set in society.

wendy
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
it IS illegal to "dump" animals. I think making the public more aware of the fact that their cruelty may and will be splashed all over the TV might convince these animal abusers to at least drop their latest victim off at a shelter instead of just tossing them out of car somewhere might have an impact.

Drive NJ
Nov. 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Couple ideas...

Not that I think much of ASPCA and HS, but how about a letter campaign from farm owners of all types to those two groups asking them to free up some of the millions they have collected to run ads about not dumping and what happens to many dumped animals (end up at shelter anyway). Better use than the 'please help - send more money so we can run more ads asking for more money' ads they are running now

There was a guy on this board or another who posted a sign at the end of his drive something like "please don't dump your unwanted strays here. We have all the animals we can care for and will only have to shoot yours" Crude, but apparently effective.

People need to know that most dumped strays either die or end up at the pound being PTS anyway (even if that's not entirely true, they need to know that so they'll think twice before dumping)

We have the sweetest, most well mannered cat from our vet that was apparently dumped by a barn and rescued by her receptionist. This cat is obviously a house cat and prefers to leave the outside... outside. Who would dump a cat who sits on the floor next to your feet waiting for you to pick him up because he won't go on furniture without an invite?

Tango14
Nov. 19, 2009, 01:43 PM
I was trapping and feeding ferals a couple of years ago at a restaurant and we had to call the security guards because the resident night watchman was drunk and abusive.

Anyway, one of the security guards proudly told us that he and his wife took their cat to a meat canning factory and left her there because they were moving and couldn't take her to their new apartment. He thought he'd done such a good thing. This to a bunch of people trapping and feeding ferals:sigh: I was so gobsmacked I was speechless and had to leave it to someone else to explain that this wasn't the way to deal with the problem. Either that or I would have resorted to violence..

Why, oh why, do some people think they have the right to make their problems someone elses???:mad:

Tango14
Nov. 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
We have the sweetest, most well mannered cat from our vet that was apparently dumped by a barn and rescued by her receptionist. This cat is obviously a house cat and prefers to leave the outside... outside. Who would dump a cat who sits on the floor next to your feet waiting for you to pick him up because he won't go on furniture without an invite?

Yes, I have one of those too. Ok, I lie, she would love to live outdoors most of the time, but she is ever so grateful for being rescued in the nick of time from being PTS. The shelter I got her from told me they PTS about 200+ cats a month. This was a small town shelter, too. Imagine the big ones.

Oldenburg Mom
Nov. 19, 2009, 04:00 PM
Finally, after about 4 weeks, the poor kitten was so starved and weak, she was trying to eat a plastic dog bone left out in the front yard,...

I am 59, and the longer I live, the more I prefer animals to humans.

I cannot believe ... I cannot understand people anymore. How can you do this to an animal that has depended upon you? How can anyone do this?

I shake my head in dismay,... I hope that there is a special place in hell for people that abandon. I really hope there is ...

Serendipity
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
Vacation1 – I think you are absolutely right about the 2 types of dumpers that are out there; the ones who simply don’t care, and the ones who feel bad about doing it, but do it anyways. I agree that a PSA might not work for the first type.

From chai (sorry, I haven’t quite mastered quoting multiple posts yet):

“My eight year old son brought one kitten home when he found the neighbor boys throwing it around because the Mom told them to 'get rid' of it. She was so typical of the ignorant human who is totally without compassion or a sense of kindness. I was so proud of my son for standing up to those bullies in training when he grabbed the kitten and ran up our driveway with it.”

Is this where it starts? From this story (which is way too common, isn’t it?), I bet there were both “future” groups of the above dumpers there, plus chai’s son who should be given a medal of honour for saving that poor cat. I really liked LAZ’s comment about “Maybe if every person had to volunteer at the Humane Society (or their equivalent) and see all the perfectly healthy and darling animals that come in only to be euthanized they would never be careless with their animals, or if they had to caretake a severely injured HBC animal until it could be tended to or if they had to nurse a starved animal back to health they would understand that with animals comes responsibility” – so, what if it was a mandatory field trip for kids at school? Maybe that’s the way to educate people?

Thinking out loud (er, typing out loud?) here, but the problem that I can see with stiffer penalties on dumping (which should happen regardless!), is that in a farmland setting, how would the penalties ever be enforced? There aren’t a lot of police hanging around to help enforce something like that.

Unfortunately, the same goes for animal shelters/rescues in rural areas. I know that where I live (in Toronto) there are a lot of animal shelters, but where my family farm is (2 hours north of the city), there aren’t any rescues to speak of at all other than the local humane society which is totally overloaded. Oh, and somewhat ironically, the (very good) cat rescue that I volunteer with here in the city is starting up a program where their feral, unadoptable “city” cats are to be brought up to the farms to live as barn cats! Although I admire the good intentions on that program, I can’t see very many farm owners having a need for a barn cat from the city……

DriveNJ – I also really like your idea about running ads about the effects of dumping - mind if I “steal” it and try to do something like that up here in Canada?

Serendipity
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:35 PM
I am 59, and the longer I live, the more I prefer animals to humans.

I cannot believe ... I cannot understand people anymore. How can you do this to an animal that has depended upon you? How can anyone do this?

I shake my head in dismay,... I hope that there is a special place in hell for people that abandon. I really hope there is ...

That is exactly how I feel! I keep thinking, it's not like our cat has behavioural issues, or isn't friendly. I cannot figure out at all why she was dumped. Not that any animal should be. But I am aware that sometimes behaviour issues can be an excuse for dumping.

This cat is super sweet, and the most polite cat I have ever met! She's so polite, in fact, if one of the other cats leaves a "stinker" in the litter box, sweet little Karma will go in and cover it up!

Trevelyan96
Nov. 19, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm also amazed at how anyone can take a pet and just dump it on the side of the road. But then again, we're living in a society where it's almost illegal to teach things like empathy, morals, and conscience.

I have my barn kitty and her 2 babies, all are spayed or neutered, and they get rounded up once a year for vet checks and vaccines.

I adopted my dog in July from the local shelter. He was so sick from parasites when we brought him home I was terrified I wouldn't be able to get him healthy. When I'm home, he won't let me out of his sight - except when HE runs off to investigate the neighborhood kids and their dogs, of course. But he shows all the signs of having been mistreated AND abandoned, and he's still the sweetest friendliest little dog.

Ah well... if I could save them all, I would, but I'll just have to be content with saving the ones who cross my path.

HenryisBlaisin'
Nov. 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
That's how I got my Jesse James....somebody threw him away like trash.

bird4416
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:52 AM
I rescued a kitten once that was in a cardboard box duct taped shut in a dumpster. This was before the time of cell phones and my husband stopped to use a pay phone which was beside a dumpster at a gas station. He came back to the car and said he kept hearing a cat meowing. I went over to investigate and found the box with the kitten. That kitten went on to become a sweet barn kitty.

Trixie
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:03 PM
Ugh. It's unbearable and the economy only has the situation getting worse. We would all do the right thing in a bad situation, but so many people just... don't. Yuck. I've heard of about ten dogs all needing homes or wandering in just the past few days...

I can’t see very many farm owners having a need for a barn cat from the city……

We lucked out with ours. Erin (old COTH moderator) practically takes orders for cats, and when our barn cat passed away we asked her to find us one. We got a "feral" Baltimore cat, who is QUITE sweet and a good mouser to boot.

Rivendellhorses
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:17 PM
My barn cat "appeared" one day.

I was teaching, and i look over and there is a cat. No biggie, as my neighbors' cat at the time was an indoor/outdoor. But i take a closer look, and this cat was a gorgeous gray and white and SKINNY. He was also attempting to eat the leftover grain that was on the ground.

So i started leaving out cat food, and a couple weeks later trapped him....but it wasn't. lol. imagine my surprise when i looked in the trap and i find a HUGE tabby tom cat..who i named vinny. One of my clients is a vet tech so i was able to get him fixed/shots etc.

Let him go, have never seen him again...and try again. Caught my neighbors cat. Then third time's the charm. Caught mr. max, who WAS NOT HAPPY. lol. but he is now fixed, had his shots, and is about a year and a half. He comes out about 6 or 7 times a day, has started being not-so scared (he talks all the time to us now, and will stand at either end of the barn and wait for us to either leave, or bring him his dinner if we are busy, so he can eat.) i am hoping in a couple weeks he'll let us pet him b/c he REALLY needs flea meds.

my other animals...3 of my horses are from the horse auction. 1 dog is from a shelter. 1 dog i saved from being pts b/c she was "blind" as a puppy (she wasn't. the vet was an idiot), one cat i found crossing the street as a kitten when i was on my way to the barn. on cat was picked up as a kitten at the auction (they allow people to bring in kittens to find them homes), and the other two are from my hay person who was feeding them b/c their mommy abandoned them.

what can i say? my family is a bunch of suckers. lol.

:)

JanM
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I'm not surprised that people throw animals out like trash, because they throw other humans away like trash too. I totally see the connection between animal abuse leading to human abuse and it makes me sick. I can't believe how many of the abusers get repeated chances to abuse again and no one seems willing to do anything about it.

The only happy note is that so many people here and in the rest of the world try to do so much to help individual animals and work to help many animals and people. This holiday I will say thanks for the many angels who help unwanted animals and unwanted humans.

FairWeather
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
We moved to the farm in June, but have really only consistantly been here for the last two months. We've had a TINY kitten dumped and last week this beautiful dog was dumped. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/4119584909_b2455bed3b_o.jpg)
He was so lovely we were CERTAIN he was lost, but nobody is looking for him despite all of our efforts to find them.
He's currently curled up on my JRT's bed, snoozing off another good dinner. Sigh.

I have no doubt there are more to come.

tle
Nov. 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
We moved to the farm in June, but have really only consistantly been here for the last two months. We've had a TINY kitten dumped and last week this beautiful dog was dumped. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/4119584909_b2455bed3b_o.jpg)
He was so lovely we were CERTAIN he was lost, but nobody is looking for him despite all of our efforts to find them.
He's currently curled up on my JRT's bed, snoozing off another good dinner. Sigh.

I have no doubt there are more to come.

OMG, he's gorgeous!! We have a heeler and she's a GREAT dog!

monalisa
Nov. 22, 2009, 08:24 AM
At a shelter one county over, there are 70 cats that have been in the shelter for a year or more!!!!

In the county where my farm is, in Virginia, the cat population is so out of control that when you drive down county roads, there are just cats everywhere. There are 50 at one area where there are several gas stations. It is just unbelievable to me that people just "breed" cats with no cares in the world about the consequences - just mirrors to me IMHO what is going on with this country, we are clearly headed in the wrong direction!

Sku
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
I know that there are a lot of cottages in the area where my family's farm is, and that the general belief with the full-time residents in town is that the "city people" a.k.a the cottage owners are dumping their "cottage" kittens at the end of the season.

I was as surprised as you are. I'm in college, and for a few years I lived in the dorms. Do you know what the biggest reason why students couldn't have pets in the dorms? They would just leave the animals when they left for the summer. I was completely aghast. Like you, I could never, ever, ever do something like that. I still can't understand how people see animals as disposable objects. So unfortunately, while this is a horrible trend, the trend does exist.

SueL
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:10 PM
The flipside to all of these awful people is a very good friend. Who just over a year ago dug a litter of feral kittens from behind an indoor arena wall and nursed them back to health (one did die but she tried to save her) In the process she created an absolute terrorist who rules my life. :-) She had them spayed, vaccinated for nothing but love.

Yup those types still exist. Kind of re-affirms my faith in humankind.

She's good people. The very best type of people actually.

Sue