PDA

View Full Version : Pole Barn costs

tle
Nov. 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
Not that it is going to happen any time soon even if we buy the farm we're looking at, but I want to be prepared. I've started doodling a barn to put on the property. I KNOW we'll be doing a lot of the inside finish work ourselves (FIL is an electrician, for example, as well as piecing in stalls one at a time). but I'm curious as to what the pole barn itself might cost. In an ideal world, I'd be looking at 36'x72', possibly with a loft dormer over part (where the tackroom etc. are, for additional storage) but not a complete loft. Hay WILL be kept in a separate barn. I know there are a lot of options but anyone care to ballpark it?

deltawave
Nov. 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
FWIW, I'll give you what I got, and you can extrapolate what you can, leave out the parts that don't suit you . . .

In 2006, a local pole barn contractor built our 36 x 36 barn for $30,000, which included site prep, (not much, good flat spot but they do have to sink footings, level, etc.) and the complete structure including two garage doors, one "man" door, 3 dutch doors going out from the stall area, 5 medium-sized windows, poured concrete in the center aisle and tack room areas, tamped crushed concrete in the stall/storage areas, a 12 x 36 hayloft over the center aisle with a hay door up top, 6 x 12 roof pitch (for added hay storage and looks nicer), premium shingles, siding, a ridge light and cupola. Nice, open soffits for ventilation, and he arranged the structure so that the "inner" poles were already set to logically allow the building of stalls without having to work around odd placements.

A year later, he added on a 36 x 10 "horse porch" attached to the barn and gutters, which I'd not leave out again if I were building another barn. :lol: The horse porch was the best thing we did. It was roughly another $3000, IIRC.

We finished off the inside ourselves--hubby did the tack-room and I built the stalls myself, it was not very difficult at all. We had it wired and rough plumbing put in as "side jobs" for the guys who were also building our house at the same time, with the blessing of our builder. I can't remember all those cost breakdowns but obviously the DIY factor saved us a lot on finishing the inside.

tidy rabbit
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:36 PM
TLE, I can put you in touch with the guy who we worked with. He was super to work with and met with Mr TR several times to design and redesign it.

The barn itself came from a manufacture called Graber. The crew who erected it was a contractor from PA. The barn came as a kit. Then the builders showed up and had it erected in about 7 working days.

It's 36x80 and is about 28 feet tall at it's peek. It has a 14 ft ceiling at the ground the floor, then a loft that is 16 ft wide by 80 ft long with it's own 8 ft ceiling. We have 7 windows, 2 mandoors, 2 sliding doors and a roll up door.

For just the barn and the erection I believe we're at about 50K. When it's all done it will be around 80K probably and that is with Mr TR doing all the work on the apartment, tack room, stalls, electrical and plumbing.

tle
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
tidy... that would be great! I'll definitely hang on to that number. It will be at least 2011 before we can start on a barn as the house comes first (not MY choice but I can live with it). Your barn is gorgeous! We can do a lot ourselves (not sure about ALL of it but a lot) and I fully intend on spending plenty of sweat equity to put into it... probably the only way I'll be able to even remotely afford what I want to do. :-)

DW... thanks for the breakdown! It all adds up doesn't it?

Now... if we could just move forward with making them an offer. :)

SLR
Nov. 18, 2009, 07:52 PM
TLE We had ours done by Peoples Building www.peoplesbuilding.com from NE Ohio, although they will travel all up and down the East Coast. I can't really tell you how much it cost because we built it with the indoor. It was somewhere around 80K, sans electric, water and cement. Ours looks like pic #12 on their website gallery. Its 36x72 with 12' overhangs on each side. I designed the interior layout with 12x24 tack room, 12x12 washrack, 6' aisle to outside next to 6' feedroom. 12' main aisle, 7 stalls. Dutch doors on the stalls. They came to the party with lots of good ideas and suggestions, as they are horsepeople. Morton did not have a clue!!!! You can do as much or as little as you want with Peoples, but it was cost effective to have them do most of it. Also look into Worch Lumber in Versailles. They are very reasonable and use Mennonite crews. We're near Fairborn, so come and look. Good Luck with farm purchase:)

JazCreekInc.
Nov. 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm thinking I need to move... our pole barn, which I would not trade for the world, was a bit on the pricer side.

We have a 16 stall barn with a T that has tack, office, feed, utility space and our builder is amazing but wow was it more expensive then we ever expected.

My suggestion (not knowing anything about permitting etc... where you live) is to leave out upstairs spaces due to extreme cost of engineering and permitting. I could be totally off in your part of the country but where I am that was a HUGE added cost that ended up to just not be worth it.

Pictures of my barn are at our website and I would be happy to answer any questions about design as my mom and I did ours. I have to say... our barn is nicer then our house and I probably spend more time there, so make sure you plan for that in the long run... hahaha!