PDA

View Full Version : Intorducing a young cat to barn life?

*JumpIt*
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
I found two female kittens over the summer, I have fostered them with plans of bringing them to my boarding barn. They are now about 6-7 months old, utd on shots, been spayed and I think they are big enough and ready to go to the barn.

How can I make the transisition easy for them?

There are 3 other barn cats at the barn, all adults 2 male 1 female, how can I make the introductions a smooth as possible.

Anything else I should be careful of?

jherold
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:47 PM
I put them in a dog crate for a few days to acclimate them to the barn and so that the other cats can hiss at them but not beat them up. I also feed them canned food when I feed the horses. This seems to encourage them to come when they hear my voice so I can check on them. After a few days, I just leave the crate opened.

LauraKY
Nov. 17, 2009, 01:00 PM
I put them in a dog crate for a few days to acclimate them to the barn and so that the other cats can hiss at them but not beat them up. I also feed them canned food when I feed the horses. This seems to encourage them to come when they hear my voice so I can check on them. After a few days, I just leave the crate opened.

Second that. When we release, we try to shut them all together in the tack room, with supervision, just to make sure they don't kill each other for an hour or two. Then we try to keep them (the young ones) in the crate at night for a week or two, if they will cooperate.