PDA

View Full Version : WS For Debi Crowley at CMF Question

Rescue_Rider9
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone new if Debi Crowley of Cotten Meadow farm did WS postitions through just the summer. I saw on her website that she will have a spot availble in May, which is when I am done with school.. I would love to work for her, but I have to go back to school in the fall.. Late august. I e-mailed her, but she hasnt replied.
Thanks

jn4jenny
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:18 PM
RR9, I know you're trying to grow up to be a trainer, so please take this post in the spirit of genuine advice and not snark.

Realize that the previous generation of trainers, who spend about 95% of their time outside and not in front of the computer, are very hard to reach via email. SOME of them answer their email, and when they do, they tend to prioritize emails from their existing clients. It takes long, valuable seconds/minutes to answer an email, which is time that most trainers don't have.

If you want your answer fast--and more importantly, if you want to make a much more personal, professional, and good impression on her--call and leave a polite message on her phone. It's like getting a mini job interview without even getting an interview.

Rescue_Rider9
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you :) It just said contact via e-mail so I thought it would be okay. But thank you and I will give her a call!

deltawave
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:58 PM
I traded a few emails with Debi Crowley a couple of weeks ago and she answered in a very timely manner, FWIW. Just another POV--I'd say if the advertisement says to email, I'd email. Phoning a trainer is not always an easy way to reach them, either, and can be intrusive if they're trying to talk to clients, give a lesson, etc.

jn4jenny
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
Just another POV--I'd say if the advertisement says to email, I'd email.

I didn't have that info when I wrote my post. Nonetheless, I don't think anyone would mind a polite, brief phone message following up on an email.

Phoning a trainer is not always an easy way to reach them, either, and can be intrusive if they're trying to talk to clients, give a lesson, etc.

True, but most trainers I know don't pick up their phone unless they recognize the number or they have a moment to spare. But perhaps this is a valid concern.

RayRay
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hi,

I am a student of Debi's and have boarded at her barn for 2 1/2 years. She is usually good about answering her email. You could also call her - if she's busy she won't answer the phone but if you leave a voice message I think she'll call you back. If you are interested in discussing the working student position, I would try both.

Good luck!

Rescue_Rider9
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you a ton RayRay! Maybe I will meet you over the summer :) haha

RunForIt
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:08 PM
Debi's always been one to quickly answer emails and phone calls. :cool: If you get the WS position you will be very, very lucky and will learn from one of the best horsewomen and trainers in our sport.

Rescue_Rider9
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:19 PM
Runforit. I have heard she is amazing and I met her once at a horse show and she was very helpful and very nice! She beat me :) but only by 3 placings!!! HAHA

RayRay
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:43 AM
My daughter (a junior rider) and I moved to Debi's a couple years ago after purchasing an OTTB (Grayboo) for my daughter to move up the levels with in Eventing. Her OTTB was not an easy dressage ride, but loved jumping. Debi has done an incredible job getting Grayboo "credible" in dressage and honing my daughters jumping and cross country skills. They have moved from Beginner Novice to ready for Prelim (hopefully this spring). She has moved from never placing in competitions to placing just behind Debi by 1 point at River Glen this summer (she finished 3rd). Debi is very dedicated in helping people that want to improve. She is also a gifted horse trainer. Good luck on pursuit of the position. I know that her current working student is going back to school next summer.