PDA

View Full Version : Breast Bar Question

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:10 AM
I have a 2 horse Trail-Et thorospirit. Recently, we leased a small pony for my daughter and the breast bar is kind of high for him. He can put his head over it, but it looks unpleasant (he actually looks like he would rather go under it.) So, rather than use the trailer tie, i slip knotted 2 leadropes (like cross -ties) to the breast bar so he couldn't go underneath.

Here's my question: does any one see any (structural or safety reasons) why i can't have a welder make lower fixtures where i could move the breast bar down for when i ship the pony?

Any comments?

grinanride
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:29 AM
That works if the side sheets are thick enough to weld - otherwise devise a bolt on bracket -

Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers.com
BalancedRideTrailers.com

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2009, 01:02 PM
thanks. my dad knows a welder; perhaps i will drive the trailer over and have him take a look at it.

MHM
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
We did that to the trailer we had when I was a kid. The welder did it so there were two sets of slots- one at pony height, plus the original slots at the horse height.

It worked perfectly, as I recall.

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
MHM
great! that's what i wanted to know!

enjoytheride
Nov. 17, 2009, 05:01 PM
I used to haul my 16.2 hand horse in a 6' 9" trailer. He was low headed so he fit fine but was a little long for the stall so we hauled him without the breastbar up to give him another couple feet to get forward.

I don't know if that would have made it unsafe in a crash but he never had any balance problems.