PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out my TB for Christmas : )

Couture TB
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:45 PM
So my husband and father are getting me a joint Christmas gift... A new track brat for another event prospect. I know the pictures aren't the greatest but which do you think?

And yes, use to getting these guys sight unseen. If they don't work out for one sport they do for another.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/sdtmarcoschoice.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/sdactlikealion.jpg

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:02 PM
Both cute from the pictures.

My gut likes the first one better. I think I like his shoulder more...but not really sure. He is just the one I was more drawn to.

Do you have their pedigrees? What a great Christmas gift!

Couture TB
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
Here is the lines for the first one http://www.pedigreequery.com/marcos+choice

And the second guy http://www.pedigreequery.com/act+like+a+lion

Now just hoping they are both for sale when they call tomorrow :)

I know? Isn't it great? Though they are both saying they need thier heads looked at

arnika
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:12 PM
I think that's a wonderful present as well!

I vote for the second guy. I like the neckset of the first one but I like the legs and overall build of the second one better. I like the slope of his shoulder and he looks like he has a kind eye. I can't tell if it's the photo or if he has a slightly turned out right front but the first one looks like he has sickle hocks and I don't care for that.

Otherwise #1 looks a little more fancy but I've always been drawn to horses that look like good, doing horses. Pretty is just a plus.:D

Best of luck with whichever you get and Merry early Christmas! Post more pics and finish the story so we know how he turns out.:yes:

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:21 PM
well...horse one is bred like one of mine (good mover and jumper)...which could be why I like him! He just looks like he should be able to move well and jump well.

I like his pedigree a bit more as well...but I'm not an expert at all.

I'll keep my vote with horse number 1...but see who is still available...both are nice and there are a whole lot of nice ones available right now.

arnika
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
Well, looking at the pedigrees only, I might choose #1. I really like Devil's Bag horses and Alydar too. And some Hyperion back a ways. And he IS pretty!

However, I've seen some Secretariat bred horses that have made good eventers so #2 also looks good, although I'm not a huge Mr. Prospector fan. LOL, good thing I'm not choosing, I'd have a hard time.

Horse shopping is so much fun!

billiebob
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
I say get both!

OK, seriously, my gut feeling says #1. From what I can deduce from the photos, he looks like he has a nice build and I can't quite tell about #2's. But I LOVE #2's kind eye. So either way you go you're getting what seems like a nice guy.

Lone
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'd put in my vote for #2, for some reason he appeals to me more- and I love his eye!

But they're both cute!

JDufort
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:03 AM
disclaimer - my job is pedigree - Jo judges the actual horse, but...

from a pedigree perspective, I like #1 all the way. Not only do you get HTR, but you also have a nice dollop of Swaps lurking in that 6th generation. We have a double-dose in our Advanced horse, and I think thats the source of the hardy workmanlike attitude...

scubed
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:34 AM
Like number 1 a lot looking at the picture, and then absolutely loved his pedigree so that's my vote. Nice present!

vineyridge
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:38 AM
I love #1's pedigree and ears. Not a weak line anywhere in his breeding. His great mare lines are not quite as close as #2's. But all of his sire lines are well proven in sport.

But I prefer #2's type and conformation. And he also has a very strong pedigree, especially in the mare lines. His tail female line is one of the best, and goes back to the wonderful matriarch, Aloe. FF 2-f. Can't go wrong with that dam line. Lion Cavern is the full brother of Gone West, who is one of the very best sons of Mr. P for sport horses. I know Gone West is in the lines of chasing winners in the US. AND to add to the goodness, Secretariat's dam is also the dam line of Chieftain's Miss who was the dam of Shaab, the great Sport Horse (and eventing) TB sire in the UK. Mr. P also comes from a very special dam line.
#2's mare lines are spectacular.

(Oops. I was just looking at Lion Cavern when I was drooling over mare lines.
#1 is actually out of better mares than #2. #2 comes from a much less distinguished bottom side than #1.)

I love #2's looks and #1's pedigree. Hard decision.

But then my computer has a 1 1/2 inch x 1 inch picture of #1, so really can't tell much about him except that he is "racier" than #2.

Tazzie
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:44 AM
I prefer # 2, his looks as well as his bloodlines. #2 also seems a bit shorter in the back and croup, however I am not an expert by any means, and probably have no idea what I am talking about! Regardless, I like the overall look of more compact horse, which #2 seems to fit.

I like his name too. ;)

Make sure you let us know which you choose and how things go once you get him!

Congrats!

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Lion Cavern is the full brother of Gone West, who is one of the very best sons of Mr. P for sport horses. I know Gone West is in the lines of chasing winners in the US. AND to add to the goodness, Secretariat's dam is also the dam line of Chieftain's Miss who was the dam of Shaab, the great Sport Horse (and eventing) TB sire in the UK. Mr. P also comes from a very special dam line.
#.

There is another Lion Cavern son in urgent need of a home in NE. He is listed on Canter NE. Coco's Gold

“Coco’s Gold” will grab your attention immediately, with his handsome face and very interesting, flashy markings. On top of that, Coco is a total sweetheart who doesn’t do a thing wrong. Trainer proudly states, “He’s very nice, has no vices, and would make a great horse for a kid someday.”

Not fazed by anything and a big, solid citizen who carry some famous blood in his veins: his sire Lion Cavern is a son of Mr. Prospector out of a Secretariat mare, so you can see where he gets his strapping, muscular build.

Trainer doesn’t want to “get stuck” with his slower horses at the end of the Suffolk meet, so is pricing to sell now.

Price: $500 negotiable. Call Greg Rivera at 857-251-8213

Pedigree http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=6880058&registry=T&horse_name=Coco's Gold&dam_name=Coco Is Good&foaling_year=2003&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

Picture
http://www.canterne.org/images-salehorses/Coco'sGold_NEW.jpg

Just to help enable a few others.;)

mcorbett
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
RE: Coco's Gold...
ooo! first, what a great conformation picture! Big kudos to the volunteer who took that one!

Second, he's not the type that typically makes me drool but he's CUTE!!! LOVE that face!

CookiePony
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:45 PM
mcorbett: don't forget that free room in Boston! Or would you rather have me go take a look for you? :lol:

mcorbett
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
Are you going home for Thanksgiving? Go see Bay Miner and this guy, Coco's Gold! They might be gone by then....if not, pack them both up up on a trailer and send them back home to me, girl!

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:09 PM
Are you going home for Thanksgiving? Go see Bay Miner and this guy, Coco's Gold! They might be gone by then....if not, pack them both up up on a trailer and send them back home to me, girl!

LOL..I liked both those boys. I think both really need homes asap. Someone posted on another thread that Coco's Gold needed to go by this Saturday. Some one really should snap that boy up FAST.

Coco's Gold is 16.2 6 year old...Bay Miner I think was 16 hand 4 year old. Both looked like really good prospects. Saw a few mares that I really liked too...good thing my barn isn't built yet. I need another horse like a hole in the head.

Good luck to the OP on your choices....there are a alot of nice ones to choose from right now.

judybigredpony
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:26 AM
I would avoid Marcos Choicew/ Devils Bag / Halo breeding. Especially on the mares side who contribute most of the horses temperment.
Both horses were not know for their warm and fuzzy temperment or soundness. Except for Seattle Slew up close there is nothing jumping of any generation except good old Herbage way back.

The other horse "Act Like a Lion" you can not go wrong w/ Turn to / Princequillo / Something Royal / Tom Fool / and Double Jay for jumping talent, temperment and heart.:yes:

mcorbett
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:58 AM
#1 was sold

mcorbett
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:04 AM
viney, how do "act like a lion" and "coco's gold" pedigrees compare?

ryansgirl
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:15 AM
LOL..I liked both those boys. I think both really need homes asap. Someone posted on another thread that Coco's Gold needed to go by this Saturday. Some one really should snap that boy up FAST.

Coco's Gold is 16.2 6 year old...Bay Miner I think was 16 hand 4 year old. Both looked like really good prospects. Saw a few mares that I really liked too...good thing my barn isn't built yet. I need another horse like a hole in the head.

Good luck to the OP on your choices....there are a alot of nice ones to choose from right now.

Both Coco's Gold and Bay Miner are being laid up over the winter at farms in Mass. And yes both are still available :). Bay Miner is at the farm now but not sure about Coco's Gold - we'll be checking in this Saturday when we head to the track (last day as the horses have to be off the grounds that day). :)

mcorbett
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:39 AM
FYI: just talked to Matthew Clarke, Bay Miner's contact, and he said he was placed and no longer for sale :(

judybigredpony
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:24 PM
So my husband and father are getting me a joint Christmas gift... A new track brat for another event prospect. I know the pictures aren't the greatest but which do you think?

And yes, use to getting these guys sight unseen. If they don't work out for one sport they do for another.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/sdtmarcoschoice.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/sdactlikealion.jpg

What is your age/sex/height criteria, and $$ travel distance since we all ahil from such diverse parts of the USA

arnika
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:35 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that they were both gone but glad they both found new homes.

Post if you find any new ones.:yes:

CookiePony
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:42 PM
FYI: just talked to Matthew Clarke, Bay Miner's contact, and he said he was placed and no longer for sale :(

Good for the horse, but sad for you. What about Coco?

Couture TB
Nov. 19, 2009, 11:12 AM
Well I think you guys are going to question my sanity:lol:

I told both my father and husband to wait till after next show season for my Christmas gift. I've been schooling a few of my greenies over fences and if I can convince the two most talented guys that they truly do not need to jump 5ft over every jump regardless of it's size ( I mean really do you need to jump 5ft over 2-3ft jumps in grids?!) it is going to be a very busy and expensive season, so figure I will add a new horse to the string after that.

I know I am questioning my sanity right now too! Though if the right horse pops up between now and then who am I to say no?:D

Oh, and what I am looking for is a gelding between 4-6 years old, 16 to 17h (though would prefer not to go above 16.3) and CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP :lol: The cheaper the horse the further away it can be. I live in WI up near Green Bay, but ship horses in from out east and south alot. Just none on the west coast as my shipper I use does not go that way.

JWB
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:45 PM
Coco's Gold is arriving in FL tonight. The shipper says he looks a bit rough but is a total gentleman. Can't wait to meet him. In the end, the trainer gave him to us. We got kicked in the butt on shipping. I found a shipper for $500 but the other person on the load insisted on using her shipper who ended up charging us $900 :( That's more than it would have cost us on the "big name" shipping company who was offering to bring him to us for $730.

mcorbett
Nov. 30, 2009, 09:13 AM
OMG! You have to let us know how he is! Pictures! So glad he found a home!

JWB
Nov. 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
Coco's Gold (Beans) arrived around 6:45 pm on Saturday. The shipper was uncomfortable driving down the road to our barn so we unloaded him on the side of a very dark but active road and walked him the 1/2 mile in the dark down the lane to the barn. He gave a little spook passing the dressage ring but oh my gosh! He was really such a good boy - unloading on a road and walking through the woods in the dark.

Once we got him to the barn he had a drink, rolled in the fresh bedding and went to work on his hay, completely unfazed. We pulled him back out after a rest to get a better look at him and he was really laid back - but still alert.

He has a huge long stride at the walk! He is in need of some groceries but is not terribly skinny. He smells BAD - bath tomorrow and has a lot of fungus on his legs, but otherwise they're much cleaner than I would have expected. We gave him some ulcer guard as a precaution which he didn't love but was easy about the dosing.

He seems to be quite a love - he was rubbing his face on my jacket (which now stinks too) in the stall and when we turned out the lights to leave for the night, he nickered

Sunday he got a bath and stood like a champ on the cross ties in the wash rack. Then we put him in the round pen for some "outside time". We used a chain shank to take him in and out but he gave NO indication that it was necessary - just better safe than sorry. He rolled about 20 times, bucked and snorted for a bit - probably glad to get out, and then settled down with his hay.

We pulled him in eventually, knocked the dirt off him, and got to work with clipping him. It's still quite hot here and he has a thick coat. The farrier and vet are scheduled to see him this week but his feet are in okay shape (quite low in the heels but obviously got regular care) and his movement was very springy and elastic - I would have expected much less given that he'd been on a trailer for four days!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/Julz226/Beans1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/Julz226/Beans2.jpg

Jessi P
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:31 PM
I took these listings on CANTER Midatlantic - Mountaineer. MNR is about 45 mins W of Pittsburgh Pa, 90 min from Cleveland, and 3 hours from Columbus Ohio.

OPENING WAGER (http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1516:opening-wager-former-racehorse-now-lead-pony&catid=51:mountaineer-trainer-listings&directory=302)

Big stout boy, has been retired for awhile and has been a lead pony at night and outriders pony in the morning. No bad habits, eyeballs 16.2-16.3.

BRAVE CHARMER (http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1462:brave-charmer-lovely-black-sport-horse-prospect-1000&catid=51:mountaineer-trainer-listings&directory=302)
Gorgeous mostly black horse with nice conformation and good mind. Measures 16.1 3/4." Ready for a new career, doesn't like being a racehorse any more. Nice eventing or H/J prospect.

Merle
Nov. 30, 2009, 04:50 PM
Oh my gosh, Beans is SO HANDSOME! That is going to be one magnificent horse. Doesn't hurt that chestnuts with blazes are my favorite. :D Thanks for the update! I love the pics!

JWB
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:26 AM
Beans is all clipped now and working on the lunge in (loose) side reins. He's probably going to go right to work under saddle since he's so laid back and happy! He's obviously a quick learner. He's been pushed to the point of frustration but he doesn't act out... He just really tries to figure out what's being asked and once he's got it, it seems to stick.

I can't believe what a gentleman he is. He' got a bit more knee action than I'd like for a hunter but a fantastic uphill canter and a huge long walk, so probably a fantastic eventer. I think his SUPER laid back attitude will make him a great pony club horse.... If we can stand to part with him.

He has walked over cavaletti, logs and ditches on the lead rope without batting an eye.

Here's a photo after a week...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/Julz226/Beans.jpg

Grasshopper
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:28 PM
JWB-if you decide you don't want him, will you send him my way? ;) Seriously, though, once I pop out the little one (due Jan. 3!!!), I will be looking for a fieldhunter/eventer prospect to play with. I've been restraining myself with all these loffly OTTB threads, as 8 mos. preggers is NOT a good time to take on a new one, but I have been quietly pining, and I love the look of this guy (even though I'm normally a bay mare kind of gal!). :D So...will you let me know?

mcorbett
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:34 PM
grasshopper, you should get this mare then!
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1438:lovely-tall-dark-bay-mare-5-yo&catid=49:charlestown-trainer-listings&directory=282

there's a thread about her right now! Bring her home, give her some time off and soon you'll both be ready to go again!

JWB
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:39 PM
Haha!!!! I'm 8 months pregnant too and yes, he probably will be for sale eventually. I'm due January 18th!

He's a fantastic boy! Where do you fox hunt? I grew up in South Creek.

Grasshopper
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:33 PM
mcorbett-ack! I've already drooled over that lovely lady, sigh. Unfortunately, this really is a bad time for me to take on a new horse--infant on the way in <4 weeks, need to get a new car to accomodate said infant (my beloved pickup is not the safest option), and also am trailer-less at the moment, as I sold mine when I got pregnant since I knew it would just sit there for a year.

On the other hand, I have the space.... :winkgrin: Hmm, if I get a bonus this year, maybe I could justify it?!

JWB-that is funny, congrats to you! I am due Jan. 3, a date which is approaching all too fast! I have all these nesting urges but have run out of energy, and have a big project still to finish up at work....

I've actually only hunted part of one season, last winter with Live Oak, but got completely hooked. I can't believe it took me so long to try hunting, but am really glad I finally did.

MintHillFarm
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
JWB - congrats on getting Coco!

I have an 8 yr old (9 in January) mare that I got from the same trainer this fall. She is a sweetie, very sensible and a lovely type; she will just hang out for the winter and eat (she LOVES her hay)... I was so glad to get her away from the track!