PDA

View Full Version : First Training!

Kairoshorses
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:21 PM
As I mentioned in my post on the O'Connor/Wieschhoff clinic blog, I met one of my "life goals" this past weekend: I did my first Training horse trial before I turned 50 (which will happen next year).:cool:

I did it as the Las Cruces Horse Trials, which are smaller, a bit laid back, and very straight-forward. Great folks there, too.

I had schooled many of the Training jumps there at the past two clinics, and I was confident in my horse, who has WAY more experience than I do (which I am SO GRATEFUL for. I love my other horse, who I brought along since he was three, but DARN, it's nice to have one that knows more than you do!).

My goals were to be relaxed and supple in dressage (and to remember the test), to be "in the middle" and balanced in SJ (and to remember the course), and to prepare, to keep my shoulders back, and to "sit up" right after the fences in XC (and to remember the course).

Mission accomplished!

We had our best dressage test EVER (and we were tied for first!)...then, in SJ, I chased him to a couple fences, but we eventually got it together (though he did save my a** when I took him to two bad distances). I wasn't as happy about our ride, but we went double clear, and now we were sitting in first all by ourselves!

XC was amazing. I LOVE my horse. I was really proud that I did remember to prepare, sit up, keep my shoulders back, and sit up to be ready for the next fence on EVERY JUMP...except one.... :eek:

We had just finished a challenging combination—a bank up, one stride to a log, one stride to a drop—and we did it really well: very balanced, and I was up in time to prepare for the next part. The next obstacle was a table with some brooms on the back side to make it look “brushy”. I’d been somewhat compressed for the last combination, and I wasn’t sure how much to go forward, but I thought I should, so I leaned forward and got us on our forehand…and Paddy said “nope. Not balanced enough—not taking it for you this time”….and we had a stop. I circled, and approached it correctly, and we took it beautifully.

I was still, balanced, and "with" him for the rest of the course, making sure he came back to me, and we did the last big combo that I was worried about—a log to a vertical into water out to a steeplechase fence—BEAUTIFULLY.

I wasn't looking at my watch, but we only had 2+ seconds time penalty. What a good rhythm! What a WONDERFUL PONY!

We ended up in third place, but I didn't care; I had a super first training ride, and I feel confident that we'll be ok at this level.

I really want to work on doing a Training Three Day, and while I'd hoped to make 2010, I'm not COUNTING on it...I want to be confident, consistent, and both of us in shape, so it may take more than the spring (and the only one in our area is in the spring).

But I'm working towards that goal. And, like Karen O'Connor said, trying to enjoy the journey! :)

Gryhrs
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:25 PM
Congratulations!!!!! That is fantastic!!

CookiePony
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:39 PM
Big congratulations! As a fellow adult ammy who *finally* did her first Trainings this year, I know what a big step this can be!

...I want to be confident, consistent, and both of us in shape, so it may take more than the spring (and the only one in our area is in the spring).

Well... you could always come back to KY in October 2010 for MidSouth. How about it?

Gryhrs-- I saw in my COTH magazine that you won your division at River Glen. Congratulations to you, too!

SPLAT
Nov. 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
Yay! Me too - First Training this year - A very big goal for me and it felt great. Your post had me with a big ole grin reliving my thrill through yours.
Congratulations!

Catalina
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:29 AM
Congrats from another Ammy who did her first ever Training this year. Isn't it the most amazing feeling coming off of XC after tackling those huge fences:? :winkgrin:

I did my first Training at Morven last month. Everyone kept telling me that it was a 'soft' Training. Walking XC, my eyes were bugging out of my head- the fences were ginormous (afterwards, I had several people tell me that it was a very hard Training). When I passed through the finish flags with a clean XC, I was on cloud nine; it is amazing how much more fun it is then Novice :D.

scubed
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah! congrats. Sounds like you had a great time and I really like some of the folks associated with that event that I have met

Gryhrs
Nov. 17, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks CP!!!

Reading the posts makes me smile....if someone had told me 10 years ago that I would ride training I never would have believed it. My goal then was to to do one beg nov event so I could put my USCTA bumper sicker on my truck without being a poser:))