PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Qh or possibly Arab racing tattoo

lolalola
Nov. 16, 2009, 08:42 PM
A couple of weeks ago, some friends and I pulled three horses from a NJ killpen - a STB, TB and a mare with four numbers tattooed on the upper lip. We've ID'd the other two, but not the mare. Her number is 1062. She looks like a small TB, not especially like a QH or an Arab. Can anyone ID her for us?

furlong47
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:02 PM
An Arabian would be tattooed with their registration number (6 digits). For a QH there would still have to be a letter in there... with 4 numbers I'm willing to bet she's probably another Standardbred and you just can't read the letter in front (or a TB with 2 digits obscured)

You can search on a partial tattoo in the Standardbred database and then try to match markings.

lolalola
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
I don't think she is a STB. She's not that old and these days most of them have the neck freeze-brand, and she doesn't look like a STB at all (although I know they can fool you). At my barn a few years ago, we had a former racing Qh who had a four digit tattoo, which is why I figured that's what she was. The 1062 is VERY clear, the most legible tattoo I've ever seen.

kelo
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:21 AM
Prior to 1983, QHs had four number tattoos.

Then starting in 1983, they became four numbers with a letter afterwards.

Beginning January this year (2009), they are now tattooed with five numbers (no letters).

So is there maybe a letter after the numbers?

furlong47
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
The other option is that it's someone's personal or farm/ranch tattoo, in which case I don't know that there's any chance of finding out an ID.