PDA

View Full Version : Oh Sweet Omnibus, How I've Missed You...

cinnabar
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
So when I re-up'ed my USEA membership, I bit the bullet and ordered a winter/spring omnibus for $12. It came today and all the excitement that the arrival of the omnibus always generates was back! All the information I need and don't necessarily need (well, sometimes I like to see what competitor party is happening in Area X!) in one handy booklet! All the dressage tests right there, soon to become dog-earred from riding around in my truck. No printed out pages of event info to get ratty in some tote bag. I can't wait to get my highlighter and mark important information for all the events I might do. I'm geeky enough to make sticky note tabs to make my events easier to find.

Ahh, bliss. All is right with the world again. Love you, omnibus. Missed you lots.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
I LOVE that!! The highlighting especially! I thought I was the only Omnibus freak. :):cool::winkgrin:

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:11 PM
I agree. Dumping the Omnibus was ONE OF the dumbest things the USEA could do to the sport. I really think it was ONE OF the reasons many of the events were undersubscribed.

Has anyone noticed that the dressage people haven't given up their omnibuses (omnibi?) Makes me actually proud to be a DQ!

Gryhrs
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:30 PM
Love and miss the Omnibus. I too am a member of the geek....freak....whatever...club. Got my copy today and actually miss all the ads. How pathetic am I?

riderboy
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah baby, give me the good old paper back omnibus that you can sling in your glove box or tack trunk and whip it out WHENEVER! Ours came today too. Each day is one day closer to Spring!

kcrubin
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:02 PM
I also bit the bullet and loved pulling it out of the mailbox today!

EmmyTheHemi
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:52 PM
I just re-upped over the weekend, so I hope to see my beloved friend soon.

TallyhoFarms
Nov. 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
Got mine today! I too am a self admitted Omni-geek.

canterlope
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:23 AM
I agree. Dumping the Omnibus was the dumbest thing the USEA could do to the sport. I really think it was the reason many of the events were undersubscribed.The USEA was not immune to the economic situation this country found itself in this year. After cutting expenses to the bare minimum, the Association was still facing a sizable fiscal shortfall. A tough choice had to be made. Either stop printing the Omnibus or cut funding to programs. Since the Omni could still be made available in digital form on the website, but cutting funding to programs would pretty much guarantee their demise with no other options available to the members, "dumping" the Omni was the smart choice and the only one that provided the members with the same services as before, albeit in different form.

FWIW, I think it is unfair to blame the undersubscription of events on the USEA's decision to "dump" the Omni. Call me crazy, but I think the economy provided the greatest impact. Besides, if the Omni were to blame, then every event out there should have been undersubscribed. This was not the case as many events experienced either oversubscription or a record number of entries this year.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:55 AM
....FWIW, I think it is unfair to blame the undersubscription of events on the USEA's decision to "dump" the Omni. Call me crazy, but I think the economy provided the greatest impact. Besides, if the Omni were to blame, then every event out there should have been undersubscribed. This was not the case as many events experienced either oversubscription or a record number of entries this year.

Yes, but.........Omnibus Geek that I am, in the olden days, when my Omni arrived in the mail, I'd take it and the wall calendar to bed with me. I'd do the highlighting thing but also on the calendar, I'd write in all the opening days and events that I even had a glimmer of planning to enter. Never missed getting my entries in on Opening Day.

kcrubin
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:13 AM
I definitely think the loss of the Omnibus led to less early entries and perhaps overall entries. I do understand why they stopped printing it. Of course the economy was part of it but I also planned my schedule out with the Omnibus far before the events. It just didn't work as well for me online although I tried!

retreadeventer
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:23 AM
From a marketing standpoint, the OP hit the nail on the head. This little tool creates the excitement the sport depends upon for financial stability. Losing the Omnibus was like cutting one leg off the table. Might have been necessary but at a fairly unpalatable cost, and makes the whole game a little unsteady. Been better to cut a little off each leg! (Now there's a word picture....)
Next question: will the Omnibus be available to buy at the convention? I would be willing to pay more than $12 to pick it up there! (Well, like a buck or two more, let's not get crazy...)

Gry2Yng
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:07 AM
I am an Omni Geek. Will pay for one this year. Last year was tough as it was my first year trying to "get back into it" since my daughter was born. This year I am going to plan things WAY in advance and will use my highlighter and the little sticky tabs. Of course I am once again cursing the list of organizations that want my money on December 1. Too many numbers too many fees, but my glove box misses its omnibus.:D

ETA: I also liked having a printed rule book. Tried to print one out this year so I can catch up on rule changes and never could get it to work on line. Will have to put a little more effort in over the holidays.

GreyDun
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:42 AM
Next question: will the Omnibus be available to buy at the convention? I would be willing to pay more than $12 to pick it up there! (Well, like a buck or two more, let's not get crazy...)

Yep, you can purchase Omnis at the Annual Meeting for $12 at the USEA booth.

gchildean
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
As a secretary for an event our numbers were the same as they always were and we had to extend our closing date like we do EVERY year because of people waiting until the last minute. This had nothing to do with not having the paper omnibus. Every single person had an email address because I sent out an email confim of their entry so they obviously have internet access. Not only is it saving $ for the organization but it is also good for the globe. This is a digital time and its only going to get more digital. Soon I'm sure there wont even be paper entries because it will be done online. Times are changing and change is hard but sooner or later your going to have to get used to it. Just my personal opinion please don't hate :)

3's a charm
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:01 AM
Got my yesterday, stayed up late reading it cover to cover! Much better then Sarah's P book!!! Felt like finding a long lost friend! Can't wait until spring. :)

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:40 AM
Sorry Canterlope, that's not the way it was in Area 1. Only 2 events were oversubscribed (GHF and GMHA Spring) and GHF was pushed into one weekend. We've lost many events this year, and at a lot, there were VERY few upper level entries. Many of you are in the South, and it ain't the same. Our season is SO short, we have to plan WAY ahead to fit it all in. The NEDA Omnibus tells me everything I need for the dressage shows and it can go everywhere with me. I have no internet in the barn.

We used to have 4 family members of the USEA, all actively eventing. This year, I'm not going to bother. Oldest daughter was so disillusioned with the sport she sold all 3 horses and quit riding. Youngest is mostly doing dressage with me. Only hubby left to event. And this is the reason: "Times are changing and change is hard but sooner or later your (sic) going to have to get used to it." This attitude was the same with the long format, wasn't it? Did anyone ASK if we'd rather have programs or the Omnibus? Just because we have emails doesn't mean we like the Omnibus online. Jeesh.

canterlope
Nov. 17, 2009, 01:09 PM
Mary, the USEA did print and distribute to all of its members the 2009 Winter/Spring Omnibus which included complete listings for events from January 1 through May 31 as well as the provisional calendar for the rest of the year. This meant that every member did have a printed copy of the entire 2009 calendar prior to the start of the competition season and could have used it well before the first event opened to plan their year.

I agree that the lack of a printed Omnibus probably did impact entries for some events, but to say that the lack of the Omnibus alone was the reason why many events were under subscribed is not a realistic assessment of the situation. If it were, every event with a listing in the Winter/Spring Omnibus should have been fully/over subscribed with every event after that being under subscribed. This was not the case which means some other force was at work. I maintain that force was the economy, not a solely digital Omni.

In addition, declining entries started well in advance of the 2009 competition season. Many events were under subscribed in 2008 despite the fact that all three printed Omnis were provided to the membership. Again, this should not have happened based on your theory that entries decline only because the USEA does not provide printed Omnis.

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:03 PM
Of course the economy was a huge factor, and I will correct my statement to say that the lack of an Omnibus was ONE OF THE reasons for undersubscription of the events. Obviously, the internet is a cheap and reliable source of information, but as a marketing tool, it does NOT supplant an in-hand copy. If research supported that, you would not be inundated with catalogs in your mailbox!

I also find it troublesome that you would only single out my hyperbole and not attend to any of the other worthy comments on this thread.

JER
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'd rather the USEA put its resources into a useful thing like the omnibus than, say, the AECs.

gchildean
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'd rather the USEA put its resources into a useful thing like the omnibus than, say, the AECs.

Or the safety studies.

canterlope
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:25 PM
I also find it troublesome that you would only single out my hyperbole and not attend to any of the other worthy comments on this thread.I'm sorry you find it troublesome that I singled out your hyperbole without attending to the other worthy comments on this thread. I fear yours was the only one I found troublesome and in need of a response as it was the only one that unfairly sought to debase the USEA for making a tough decision and then hold that decision solely accountable for events which occurred due to a number of different factors.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:59 PM
Oh boy, Girls, do I need popcorn?:winkgrin:

GotSpots
Nov. 17, 2009, 04:05 PM
Nope - not until someone starts flinging. Or numping.

Hilary
Nov. 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
The thing I missed most about the omnibus was the DIRECTIONS! My truck knows how to get to GMHA and UNH by itself, but on the occasion I ventured further, I loved having the directions in the truck with me. Even if I did forget the atlas half the time.

Between EventEntries.com and the USEA event notifications (a bit herkyjerky for the first few events but good job after about June) I knew when the opening days were and with one excpetion got my entries in on time!

USEA is a nonprofit organization and they are just as hard hit, if not harder, by the economic downturn as anyone else. I completely understand the decision.

yellowbritches
Nov. 17, 2009, 05:34 PM
I really, really didn't and still don't see the big deal with not having a paper Omni. Yeah, I liked it and it was useful, but this past year was not a big deal. Like Hilary, between evententries and the USEA notifications (they stayed herkyjerky for me. I don't think I ever got a notification prior to an OD, and I often got three or four notifications AFTER OD), I never missed anything.

Dressage tests, not a problem. I like being able to print the test I need, fold it up, and stick it in my pocket. The only thing I plan to do differently for 2010 is to print out a copy or two of all the tests and put them in the same binder I have all the coggins in. It was fine this year because I have enough old Omnis laying around that we always had one in the truck, but with new tests next year, we won't have that.

Directions, also not a problem. For the events I needed help getting to I usually got directions from Google (which I've done even pre-no-Omni), since 90% of the time the directions in the Omni were so vague we couldn't find it.

So, yeah, I miss having the actual Omnibus in my hands, but I highly doubt it caused me any inconvience at all to not have it. The toughest thing was the boss doesn't look at the USEA website, so he was often surprised when I informed him that we had an event in a week (despite me having written all the dates on at least TWO calendars). :lol: He's better now. He actually looked at the provisional schedule before I did.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
another one who has NO issue going without a printed omnibus.

And IMO....lower entries had NOTHING to do with the omnibus. I know several UL riders who skipped the Northern events. Why...mostly money. There were other events closer to home as an alternative...and they were looking for ways to save their owners money. There were also other events that they decided to go to instead of the ones in Area I that were a hike (some in Canada) but fit better with their schedules and goals....and they had to choose...not do all the events. Events in Area I (like other areas) had competition with other events......nothing to do with not getting a printed omnibus.

subk
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:08 PM
I think the question lies in whether you think that the USEA and/or Horse Trial are in competition for the dollars riders spend on horses or not.

It is well documented that organizations that don't cut back on marketing/advertising dollars come out of difficult economic times significantly better than those that cut expenses in those areas. You'll learn that in Advertising 101. Providing the info on the internet is not marketing. The omnibus while cut and dried info was probably the biggest single marketing tool of the organization. Typically when non-communication types are making decisions for large organizations they see marketing expenses as the easiest to cut when budgets get tight, without understanding long term impact. From a strictly marketing view point cutting it was a bad idea.

I'd be curious as to how many of those that made the decision to cut the paper omnibus actually live in a rural area with dial up, or don't spend the majority of their days sitting in front of a computer...

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'd be curious as to how many of those that made the decision to cut the paper omnibus actually live in a rural area with dial up, or don't spend the majority of their days sitting in front of a computer...

Yes but didn't they address that right away if I'm remembering correctly....and provided for a printed copy at cost of the requesting member?

I hear you on marketing but isn't it sort of like preaching to the choir? Anyway...I'm glad we are not killing any more trees than necessary....or raising membership fees.

subk
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:38 PM
Yes but didn't they address that right away if I'm remembering correctly....and provided for a printed copy at cost of the requesting member?

I hear you on marketing but I still that doesn't affect entries at the ULs that one of the posters was claiming.
The UL riders aren't the guys whose bucks support the sport. The difference in whether an event makes money is really all those guys who compete 2 or 3 or 4 times a year. The difference in whether the USEA/Eventing is an successful vibrant organization is based on those little guys not the big guys! The big guys go regardless--they are the ones who have drunk the proverbial kool-aid :) We need to be selling the sport to the small guys and talking them into 4 events this year instead of the 2 they happen to know about that they go to every year.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:46 PM
The UL riders aren't the guys whose bucks support the sport. The difference in whether an event makes money is really all those guys who compete 2 or 3 or 4 times a year. The difference in wether the USEA/Eventing is an successful vibrant organization is based on the little guys not the big guys! The big guys go regardless--they are the ones who have drunk the proverbial kool-aid :) We need to be selling the sport to the small guys and talking them into 4 events this year instead of the 2 they happen to know about that they go to every year.

I edited my post since I had mis-read one of the early posts but I do disagree a little bit. It is the big guys too...we are all necessary to keep this sport alive and well.

The pros will go to one event with mulitple horses, mulitple students and ride in more events...in one weekend, they will spend more on entries than most of us spend in a full season or even year. There are some events that are mostly supported by us little guys....but a LOT of them that are dependent on the Phillip's, Boyd's, Buck's...coming and bringing their teams.

I think the big guys are important about marketing...and part of what gets people interested. Seeing Rolex is what got me intersted in this sport...as well as others. And when there are problems at the ULs...it affects the whole image of the sport.

We each also help sell those additional events...telling our fellow friends about them and talking them into coming with us.

In a sport as small as ours...we ALL matter.

subk
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:56 PM
In a sport as small as ours...we ALL matter.
I realize we all matter, but the question remains do you focus your marketing on the 2% of riders that ride at I and A or the 98% that ride P and below?

You may have spent too long in Eventing Meca, (you lucky dog you!) MOST events don't get BNRs even entering much less bringing multiple horses...

mkevent
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:01 PM
I understand the decision not to print the ominibus but I have to agree with Mary in Area I also. Some of us prefer the omnibus for different and valid reasons.

Would it be possible to cut costs by offering abbreviated versions? I'm in Area II, compete pretty much exclusively in Area II-I don't need all the other info for the other Areas-would it be feasible to offer something along those lines to help cut costs and prevent waste? Just thinking off the top of my head-maybe it would be a logistical nightmare but it seems maybe some type of compromise might be possible.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:04 PM
You may have spent too long in Eventing Meca, (you lucky dog you!) MOST events don't get BNRs even entering much less bringing multiple horses...

Maybe...it does make for cheap lessons watching the warm up:winkgrin: It is also fantastic for easy access to good help...and makes you raise your game competing.

But I guess I don't think the omnibus is that much of a marketing tool.....but do agree that spending resources on marketing is important. PR too.;)

and also am still happy to not kill a few trees (since I do enough of that in my line of work) or raise fees for everyone.

subk
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:05 PM
But I guess I don't think the omnibus is that much of a marketing tool.....
That's because you have already been sucked under so deep...

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:09 PM
That's because you have already been sucked under so deep...

LOL...nah....I'm just stuck in front of a computer all day already...and have high speed internet and high speed printers if needed. I haven't used the printed omnibus for years...other than for dressage tests.

Hell...it bugs me now if I can't enter an event and pay electronically through Event Entries:lol:

Gry2Yng
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:17 PM

Not to digress from the topic of the Omni, but Subk is correct. In Area IV we have only one or two select events that pull BNR's, which is neither here nor there except to remind those in a position to make decisions that west of Area II, we have a different reality.

subk
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:21 PM
Subk is correct.
ahhh...those might be my favorite three words...

Yes, different realities. I know several people who live one hour out side of Nashville and they are in the dial up no man's land. Can you even event in Area II and be in the boonies?

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:36 PM
ahhh...those might be my favorite three words...

Yes, different realities. I know several people who live one hour out side of Nashville and they are in the dial up no man's land. Can you even event in Area II and be in the boonies?

All depends on how you define boonies!!;) But yes.....pleanty of places still on dial up...if that. My farm/house will probably not have cable/internet (but I'll take that to get the darn barn built!!!!!).

Hannahsmom
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
Well I decided to renew my membership one more year, more as a 'donation' than anything else. Didn't order a paper Omnibus but did order a paper rulebook. Still waiting for that, I still volunteer sometims so like to be up on the rules. And a nominal donation. But it has gotten really pricey. I sure wish I had bought the lifelong memberships when I started eventing and they were 500. I did like the paper Omnibus...but then I read books in hardback vs. DVDs! I think the website is great and know the world moves on, but I miss having something I can hold in my hand.

LAZ
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:14 PM
Well I decided to renew my membership one more year, more as a 'donation' than anything else. Didn't order a paper Omnibus but did order a paper rulebook. Still waiting for that. And a nominal donation. But it has gotten really pricey. I sure wish I had bought the lifelong memberships when I started eventing and they were 500. But now, it is really too expensive to support as a 'thank you' to the fun I had.

This makes me sad.....are you really done? How are you doing with your knee?

LLDM
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:57 AM
So, what, now it's some sort of sign of disloyalty to miss the omnibus?

SCFarm

JER
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:41 PM
So, what, now it's some sort of sign of disloyalty to miss the omnibus?

:lol::lol::lol:

riderboy
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:42 PM
I sleep with mine.

Hannahsmom
Nov. 18, 2009, 04:19 PM
This makes me sad.....are you really done? How are you doing with your knee?

Well if nothing else I'm taking a break. :) Who knows what will happen with life.