PDA

View Full Version : yearling with Application Pending

lrkrame2
Nov. 16, 2009, 04:12 PM
I am looking at yearling this weekend and when I pull up the mare's report it show's "Application Pending" next to the colts name...

what does this mean?
What are the costs associated with getting everything finalized?

I've never actually gotten one that hadn't been started before so this is a new endeavor!

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 16, 2009, 04:20 PM
Call the Jockey Club (859-224-2700, though check the website for an 800 number) and ask for Registration Services.

Give them the dam's name, the year of birth, and ask what is still needed for registration.

lrkrame2
Nov. 16, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks Hitched!

I called and they said the owner still owes money and they've yet to turn in his stallion service cert... so I've contacted the breeder and I'll see where it gets me!

This way I do this before I go see him and fall in love... however don't know how keen I am to racing a horse named "jerk"

KentuckyTBs
Nov. 16, 2009, 05:56 PM
however don't know how keen I am to racing a horse named "jerk"

LMAO Are you serious?! If so, POOR HORSE! I've seen some pretty cr*ppy names, but that is right up there! Heck, one of my yearlings I groomed got a not so good name (and I believe horse's live up to their name... so no wonder 'my' girl still hasn't broke her maiden... she doesn't like her name! LOL)

ThisTooShallPass
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
An Aussie horse raced this week named Golden Balls.

Laurierace
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks Hitched!

I called and they said the owner still owes money and they've yet to turn in his stallion service cert... so I've contacted the breeder and I'll see where it gets me!

This way I do this before I go see him and fall in love... however don't know how keen I am to racing a horse named "jerk"

Which means they most likely have not paid the stud fee. Without the service certificate there is no amount of money that can get him registered as a TB. Tread carefully with this one, it doesn't sound promising.

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 17, 2009, 01:20 PM
Most excellent point, Laurie. :yes:

lrkrame2
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys,

Talked to owner and things are getting arranged, she's paying the JC and getting the sire cert.. obviously I won't take him unless everything is free and clear..

Belieeeeeve me I'm treading carefully through this one..

SleepyFox
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:22 AM

If he's not registered yet, you shouldn't be stuck with that name.

Also, remember there are penalties for a late registration. Between paying the stud fee and the late registration fees, the owner may be in for a surprise. Don't get your hopes up. ;)
But, if the owner doesn't come through, you may want to talk to the stallion owner and see if they would work with you. Especially if you are planning on running the horse, they would likely rather work with you on the fee than know that the foal will never even be registered. (At least it might be worth a shot if you like the critter.)

lrkrame2
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:55 AM
Sleepy,

She paid the initial registration so she knows its the 325 left for the late reg. Additionally, if what she says is true- she owes a very small amount to the stallion farm....

I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, from the pictures he's a well put together yearling- but many are 'photogenic' and thats about as far as it goes.....

If it doesn't work then it wasn't supposed to be. Everyone is telling me not to get a [soon to be] 2yo and to pick up a low level claimer thats already been racing ( since so many people are exiting the business in lovely Michigan) but I've done that already and I want to try something 'new' am I crazy??

SleepyFox
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
Everyone is telling me not to get a [soon to be] 2yo and to pick up a low level claimer thats already been racing ( since so many people are exiting the business in lovely Michigan) but I've done that already and I want to try something 'new' am I crazy??

Would you like some enabling? :D With a claimer, you know what you're getting, but with a baby..... the sky's the limit! You might be picking up a stakes horse. Besides, maybe you'll find that bringing a young horse along is your "thing."

jengersnap
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:27 PM
If he's not registered yet, you shouldn't be stuck with that name.

Yup, it's not necessary to have to race a little "Jerk".

6D. A foal's name may be changed at any time prior to starting in its first race. Ordinarily, no name change will be permitted after a horse has started in its first race or has been used for breeding purposes. However, in the event a name must be changed after a horse has started in its first race, both the old and new names should be used until the horse has raced three times following the name change. The prescribed fee (see Fee Schedule) and the Certificate of Foal Registration must accompany any request to the Registry Office for a change of name.

For $100, you can have a name change prior to the first start.

As for the names thing, yeah, got a couple I'm not fond of at the moment too lol

lrkrame2
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:21 PM
ha well "Jerk" is better than a few of them we've had go through the barn throughout the years [Flank Stake].

Plus I've always heard if you name one Princess or Sweetie ect. that they generally turn out to be Monsters... So maybe "Jerk" will follow the karma and he'll turn out to be easy to deal with...

actually my trainer said that if I named one a "sugar and spice" name he would disown me...

mht
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:10 AM
Slightly off topic, but I once owned an A.P. Indy gelding by the name of Clasp. His dam was Hitch, her dam was Knot and her dam was Loop.

His siblings were named Stint, Latch, Join and Hitchin, among others.

Pretty bad, eh?

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
mht - sounds like Claiborne bloodlines. They are famous for their "one-word, kind of less than eight letter" names.