PDA

View Full Version : Dang Cobwebs

NMK
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:38 AM
Took the air compressor to the entire barn. Looks great today, tomorrow they'll be back rebuilding. How do I keep those spiders at bay?

fivehorses
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:45 AM
I vacuum twice a year.
Just bought a shop vac with an 18' hose, love it for getting up high.

Would love suggestions too.

bludejavu
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:51 AM
I struggled with spiders for years too. A few years ago, I started using a fogger in the barn for flies and discovered it also kept the spiders at bay too. I fog each stall for a couple of minutes every day and then I do the hallway, tackroom, etc. I fog the stalls after they are picked and I probably spend about 15 to 18 minutes a day fogging other areas.

gettingbettereveryday
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
I vacuum twice a year. The webs are gross and a fire hazard, but I was taught that spiders are beneficial. I'm always grateful to them for helping keep the little gnats and other flying insects at bay. Plus, my grandfather used to tell the story of how a man he knew was saved from bleeding to death by the application of spiderwebs to a deep puncture wound. The webs helped clot up the wound enough for the man to make it to the hospital. I don't know if it was one of Grandpa's tall tales, but I heard it often enough as a kid to be convinced of its veracity. :)

LauraKY
Nov. 17, 2009, 04:39 PM
Read somewhere that a combination of white vinegar and coconut oil (from the health food store) will prevent spiders. Put in a spray bottle. Haven't tried it yet. Keep forgetting to buy the coconut oil.