PDA

View Full Version : The invaluable school horse...?

ThirdCharm
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
How do you quantify the value of a schoolie? CAN YOU?? Do you add up how many lessons it gives per week for X amount of time? Figure out how many horses you would have to buy to replace it? (Say, you have a schoolie that will do beginners AND take an advanced rider around at 4'....do you add up the cost of buying a dead quiet beginner critter and a 4' show horse? And probably something "in between"? Since you're unlikely to come up with another ONE horse that can do all the above....)

Just sorta struggling with a decision.... have had this horse for sale a while and have several interested parties now that economy is turning around, and I'm getting cold feet! Because I am DREADING trying to replace her!

Jennifer

jn4jenny
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:11 PM
Priceless. Seriously.

You can't only calculate based on the profit margin of doing lessons with her versus the cost of her upkeep. As you well know as a trainer, a good trip around the ring (or the XC course, or the dressage arena) on a forgiving schoolhorse will convince many clients to a) spend more money with you and b) eventually buy their own horse. And you can't put a price tag on "potential to expand your business and your reputation."

If she's truly that diverse, keep her. Unless she goes lame, she will still be worth her price tag and more when the economy recovers, and a few more years of age won't matter on a horse with those talents.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'm visiting from H/J-land, but...

I'm with jn4jenny. A good lesson horse is priceless and, IMO, to be parted with only for a REALLY good reason. Especially one that can take care of any level rider.

:yes: Keep her!

ThirdCharm
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
Enablers.

Seriously, I got a bit overbooked today so i subbed another 'darn good' horse for a student who isn't QUITE a beginner, but not quite "in charge" yet, and the sub stopped which Perfect Schoolie has NEVER done to this kid despite them being an honest-to-god beginner when they started riding here. Sort of a reality check!!! She is just SO honest and safe and the beginners can move up without having to worry about losing their confidence on a 'harder' horse. I wish I could clone her. Gaaaah.

Jennifer

SkipChange
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:45 PM
She sounds fantastic, and is cute to boot! (I looked through your site to find her, I think I'm looking at the right horse) I'm with the rest of 'em, keep that girl. Re: cloning...she is a mare...could always breed her later in life...

shea'smom
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:38 AM
My 26 year old small pony works once a day, 5 days a week and bring in a huge amount of money. He can take a 4 year old around, and go to shows for short stirrup. He is too valuable to sell. OF course, he is 26 so that is different, not very much money for fair market value.
I would be tempted if it was a really good amount of money and the horse was not anywhere near retirement.
Part of what makes a great lesson horse is the teacher, that is YOU. You could probably develop another good one.
Tricky situation.

TBCollector
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
I think so highly of school horses that I've often wondered why there are no retirement farms that cater to them...maybe because they are so beloved that their trainers don't want to part with them?
Check out how valued the school horses are at Mill Creek in Southern California. They have their own pages on the Mill Creek website...all 32 of them!

http://www.millcreekequestriancenter.com/School%20Horses/index.htm

Horsegal984
Nov. 16, 2009, 01:11 PM
Keep her. Not that I'm biased or anything ;) But seriously, the chances of you finding another like her are prety darn slim. Look how many of her siblings have come along, and she's still more versitle and useful than any of them. Besides, like jn4 jenny said, her value will go up with the economy, and you'll have to spend that much more to try and replace her.

ValleyMiss
Nov. 16, 2009, 02:42 PM
I agree, a horse like that is priceless, and you'll probably regret selling her the minute you do. We have a mare like that in our barn. 19 year old TB mare, evented through intermediate. She gives beginner lessons, jumps crossbar with the little kids to start and teaches them to canter. Then I hop on her for upper level dressage and jumping 4' fences. She will have a place in our barn until the day she dies.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 16, 2009, 03:03 PM
Well, she's only got one full sib, and he's only five months..... the oldest of her half-sibs that I've kept track of is 9, and is running Training.... She was almost that easy, and I still regret selling her!! These guys definitely take after dad who used to be my #1 lesson horse (retired at 19 now).

Guess I can sell the weanling in three/four years to make up for keeping her. I'm not really a gelding person anyway....
:-)

Jennifer

piaffequeen
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:35 PM
ThirdCharm-if its the one I am thinking of-I would keep her definately! I looked on your site and really liked her. Unfortunately-I don't have that type of finances. I am looking to retire my guy soon so I was looking around and saw your site and your mare. I am exactly that type of rider! SO KEEP HER!:D

shawneeAcres
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
School horses are SO hard to find, they really don't have a price tag. If you priced thema t what they were worth, you could never get it!! Having said that, I do have one priced to a student of mine, only because I jsut don't use him much at all. All of my students, except for one, have their own horse, and she rides another of my horses. So a student of mine, with an older horse was looking and I priced this guy to her. He was a hrose I sued to compete on and is fabulous, I jsut hate to see him standing in the field. But the "catch" is that he can only ever be sold back to me!

ThirdCharm
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:13 PM
For those curious folks who have checked my site, it is Spirit of Kildalton (Lose That xx/Kildalton's Cross ISH). I broke her when she was four and turned her over to the lesson riders. Evented through Training with two different students, schooling Prelim dressage with one student, showjumped 4'..... Guess y'all talked me into keeping her! Probably averted a student riot.....

Jennifer

ddashaq
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am friends with one of your former students (she moved away) and she spoke highly of all the horses she rode with you, but I recall that she especially liked Spirit. She sounds like an absolute gem!

magnolia73
Nov. 17, 2009, 07:22 AM
Spirit? She's really nice. You'd be silly to sell her unless you could get big money.

fooler
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
Spirit is a lovely horse and is invaluable both as a lesson horse and as competition horse.

You should not sell her. . . unless of course it is to me :winkgrin::D