PDA

View Full Version : Classy older horses

Barbara L.
Nov. 15, 2009, 08:23 PM
OK, I admit I may be prejudiced, since even before I started Turning For Home, I loved those older guys who went through 8 or more years of racing, and deserved to be respected and loved for what they did...but we do have some GREAT ones...
Doesn't anyone want a cool older horse? Check out our updated Horses for Adoption at www.patha.org. Who could turn down High Volt Jolt? He just looks like a good guy, and reportedly (from his wonderful exercise rider) he is a total sweetheart.
We have lots more...

Vivace
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:23 PM
I like Kalamazoo, since I lived there for a couple months. :D If only I had the time, money, and experience needed for an OTTB, as well as being a little closer to Penn!

suniday
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:35 AM
I had often said that I would never take on an OTTB that had just come off the track and had raced for more than a couple of years.

And, as we know, never say never! Old Diesel came into my life 4 years ago this month. He was 10 years old at the time with over 70 races under his belt. He had just had his last race about three weeks prior. He has been such a joy to have in my life.

He has such a kind soul and more heart than I have ever seen in a horse.

Just wanted to give a plug for the older guys. They are worth the time and effort.

lolalola
Nov. 16, 2009, 08:40 PM
If they can stay sound through years of racing, they will likely stay sound for anything else you do with them.

jengersnap
Nov. 17, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'll give you another plug, Barbara. Just retired our 10 year old stakeswinner in September. Took him cow sorting 3 weeks after his last race. The owner of the facility actually came down and rubbed all over his neck and head lavishing praise on the "old man" for his stupendously amazing sense and sensibility in the pen. He did the team sorts (getting all but 1-2 out each time in time), jackpot round (again fabulous, first in the pen too), the solo penning with the fastest time of the night until the 3rd from last horse went, and did a down and back .2 seconds slower then the winning time and he'd never been schooled around a barrel in his life so that was with taking the turn at almost a stop and wide. Oh yeah, and he's 100% sound. My friend was riding him, her daughter on her own recently OTTB that's only 4 and needs spurs to pick up the pace at a trot.

Don't discredit the "old" ones. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3972442&l=bc5ea5b40c&id=515023528

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3972459&l=eae129d515&id=515023528

Barbara L.
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:51 PM
They have seen everything, been everywhere, and have the sense to keep themselves (and therefore their riders) safe.
You can see the wiseness (is that a word?) in their eyes, and I'd love to have a barn full of them.
We have taken in a 9yo, a couple of 10yo, an 11yo and even a 12yo (and he looks like he is 6!!) and each one is sweeter than the other--and sound.
I would love to encourage people to take a chance with one of them!

ivy62
Nov. 17, 2009, 03:55 PM
Barbara,
If I could afford another one I would certainly take on another. It has been an up and down thing with us but never unpleasant as far as who Hurdle is just some bad luck....They are awesome and everyone should have that experience!

Toadie's mom
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:06 PM
I had one that ran for 6yrs. After having him for only a month, I took him foxhunting and he was perfect. I didn't really have intentions of reselling him, but a 14 yr. old girl who was a guest of the hunt that day fell in love with him. She's had him 4yrs. now and Mom and Dad have assured me he's got a home for life even if she goes away to college:D

johnnysauntie
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:12 PM
If they can stay sound through years of racing, they will likely stay sound for anything else you do with them.

Amen this. My guy ran for 6 years, including a solid 2 year old campaign, and is wonderfully sound. And an extremely good boy, too! :)

caffeinated
Nov. 18, 2009, 02:15 PM
I love the "older" guys too :)

If racing can't break them, chances are I won't either! And they seem to have a great work ethic too.

Before getting involved with TB stuff I probably would have never considered an older horse off the track - but now that I know a few? I might be inclined to look at them first.

:)