PDA

View Full Version : Master Imp Dead?

kookicat
Nov. 15, 2009, 05:34 PM
Just found this on Horse&Hound forum.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5028265/Main/5028044/

Very sad if it is true. :(

TxEventer81
Nov. 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Very sad loss for the eventing community. :cry:

silver pine
Nov. 16, 2009, 02:26 PM
Master Imp was killed in a stallion fight quite a while ago.

JER
Nov. 16, 2009, 02:34 PM

Your source for this dramatic story?

The Horse & Hound forum is saying he died of a 'heart attack' on Saturday.

silver pine
Nov. 16, 2009, 03:13 PM
Not trying to be dramatic by any means, there was an article in horse and hound a long time ago that claimed he jumped into a neighboring field and got in a fight with a fellow stallion. The story went that both were killed/euthanised as a result of the fight. There was not much talk at the time so maybe that story was untrue??

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
Not trying to be dramatic by any means, there was an article in horse and hound a long time ago that claimed he jumped into a neighboring field and got in a fight with a fellow stallion. The story went that both were killed/euthanised as a result of the fight. There was not much talk at the time so maybe that story was untrue??

I thought that he was alive a few weeks ago....

Very sad regardless. I didn't think he freezes well...but there are a few stallion sons and many mares so he will live on. He did live a nice long life. I think he was in his 20s wasn't he?

Janeway
Nov. 16, 2009, 03:50 PM
SilverPine: I remember reading about that tragedy in H&H too several years ago, but I think it was the Holstein stallion Cavalier. He was something like the first warmblood to be used in Irish Sport Horse breeding and was hugely successful, only to die young.

DancingBrave
Nov. 16, 2009, 04:00 PM

No. That certainly wasn't him. Possibly Cavalier Royale you may be thinking of as he broke a leg in a fight with another stallion but NOT Master Imp.

He (Imp) died of a suspected heart attack on Saturday afternoon. Twenty-two years old and very much master of all he surveyed at Slyguff Stud, which was also home to another Irish icon, King of Diamonds.

He was not available by A.I either and limited to a book of 100 mares maximum each year, most of which were loyal third/fourth generation customers. He was bred by the late Loftus O'Neill, who passed away last year, and both he and his family were quietly content to let the stallions do their own advertising - no websites and no blarney!

There are two Master Imp sons still at Slyguff - Golden Master (T.B) and the more senior sporthorse sire, King's Master, who is also a half-brother to Highland King, sire of McKinlaigh and Ballincoola.

So no dramatic end, just dropped in his stable. A quick end for a lovely stallion and exuberant character.

Windbrookfarm
Nov. 16, 2009, 06:20 PM
I also heard, from a friend of mine in Ireland who bred a couple of mares to him annually, that he died Saturday. I had hoped to see him when I go to Ireland in December. He was supposed to be absolutely stunning.