PDA

View Full Version : First CT next weekend and questions

VTHokie
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
So I've moved from hunters to dressage and now we're expanding to our first CT next weekend. Draftie mare is soooo not a hunter. :winkgrin:

My question is what will the jumps look like in the over fences portion of a maiden CT. Just doing 2'. I'm guessing it will be more "exciting" than a plain hunter course. How many jumps are likely at this level and will there be anything more challenging like a broken line or rollback? We'll be trotting everything since my mare is very new to jumping.
I'm just hoping it will be a fun schooling experience for her to see a full course of fences. We only have 4 jumps at home. :o

LuckyStar
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
You can probably expect more colors and "excitement." It will look more like a jumpers course than a hunters. It might be a good idea to practice adding some flowers or whatever you can find to the jumps at home before heading out to the CT. Also, remember there could be small oxers at the CT. It would be a good idea to introduce your horse to these at home as well, if you haven't already. I wouldn't count on the course being too technical at this level.

Good luck and have fun!

LSM1212
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
Here are some pics of the SJ jumps at a show I was at last year. I did the mini-HT but they also offered CT classes.

http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/Pro-Pics

So a bit more colorful than Hunters but not too outrageous. And these are 2'. And I trotted the course also!

Another Mini-Trial I went to late last year has very plain jumps. Just black/white poles and maybe some red/white and blue/white thrown in there. So it really depends on the venue.

Have fun and good luck!

Janet
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:58 PM
What other levels are offered at the CT? The higher the highest level is , the more bending lines, etc there are likely to be.

Usually, there would not be rollbacks at the lowest level, but I HAVE seen it.

Time_for_Tea
Nov. 17, 2009, 06:40 PM
The Maiden HT's that I've competed in have generally had more "curving" lines. There is usually a small oxer, no bounces or anything like that. Good luck & have fun! :)

juanbadcat
Nov. 17, 2009, 06:57 PM
You can expect to see approx 8-9 jumps, one will probably be an in and out, sp practice them. The others will be standard verticals and cross rails...usually. We only do the 2' jumps right now, (CT), it's fun. I'm now introducing my QH to logs and more substantial looking jumps, he's only 6, but really likes it. Have fun!

VTHokie
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks!
I found out today that there are only 6 entries in the CT (3 in my division). But they have 40-50 entries for the dressage.

We've jumped a bounce and a double bounce a month ago, so an in and out should be okay I think. She did an oxer last year when we first experimented with jumping before we took the past year off from jumping for a growth spurt. She usually takes new challenges bravely as long as I am confident and keep my leg on.