PDA

View Full Version : Survey Farm Question

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:20 PM
The wooded property next door sold and has been surveyed. The flags line up to where we thought the property line was. However, today I was walking the dogs on one of my trails and noticed one flag nailed in the ground. It is about 3 feet away from a flag placed around a tree marking the property line. My question is why is there a flag in the middle of my property. There is only one.

saddleup
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
It could be a reference point. I had my last place surveyed when I had the fence built and they had stakes in places that looked odd to me, but they helped them get their bearings in different ends of the property.

ReSomething
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:52 PM
It could be a reference point. I had my last place surveyed when I had the fence built and they had stakes in places that looked odd to me, but they helped them get their bearings in different ends of the property.

I'll second this. It is impossible to "see" a straight line through a tree trunk, and when trees are used as points in a property line sometimes it's quicker and more accurate to just do the math for an offset point.

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks! Now I just hope we have nice new neighbors!

riff
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm married to a land surveyor and work with him. The above answers are correct! Good luck with your new neighbors.

spotnnotfarm
Nov. 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks riff!!