PDA

View Full Version : Can my moldy lead rope be saved?



Crooked Horse
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:31 AM
Someone...cough cough...apparently put a damp lead rope in a plastic container and then forgot about it for a few months...
When discovered it was covered with white mold and quite stinky. I would just toss it if it were a regular lead, but this is a really nice one made from high quality rope with a good clasp and leather accents.
I washed it in Dawn dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda but it still smells.
Is there anything I can do to save it? Besides the smell am I at any health risk from the mold if I use it?
Grrr.
Thanks!

WaningMoon
Nov. 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
Someone...cough cough...apparently put a damp lead rope in a plastic container and then forgot about it for a few months...
When discovered it was covered with white mold and quite stinky. I would just toss it if it were a regular lead, but this is a really nice one made from high quality rope with a good clasp and leather accents.
I washed it in Dawn dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda but it still smells.
Is there anything I can do to save it? Besides the smell am I at any health risk from the mold if I use it?
Grrr.
Thanks!

Bleach is the only thing I know of to effectively remove mold and its smell for something like that.

ponygrl25
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:21 AM
Try mixing 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup baking soda, and a couple of drops of dish soap with warm water in a bucket. Put in enough water to cover the rope and mix it well, the baking soda will take a minute to dissolve and will fizz when mixed with the vinegar. Let it soak for an hour or so. Don't be scared to get in there and scrub either. Rinse it well and condition the leather abd spray some WD-40 on the snap. Just start using it again even if it still smell a little, that will eventually go away. The vinegar should kill any mold or mildew.

mothermucker12
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:38 AM
lay it out in the sun after you clean to dry~

LauraKY
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:49 AM
Try lysol cleaner in a 1 to 10 ratio with water. Soak for 30 minutes. Let dry in sun. Rinse well, let dry in sun. Should do it.

Valentina_32926
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:07 AM
I second the vinegar - dramatically slows down the return of mold in our sailboat and I use it in the washing machine for mold I have growing on the door seals.

Drying in the sun should make it smell better too. :D

AnotherRound
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
Soak it in a bucket of bleach. Its better than lysol, better than vinegar and will also bleach the stains out of it as much as possible. No reason to use anything which would be less effective. Bleach kills molds and mildew, which is what you have.

You won't have the nice look of the rope anymore, unless you can get the stains out, and bleach will be th only thing you can try. Soak it for several days, until the bleach becomes inactivated..

Good luck.

Guin
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'd put it in the dishwasher with good old Cascade and run it on HOT.

greysandbays
Nov. 18, 2009, 05:51 PM
I had a whole plastic tote thing full of halters and leads that somehow took in water, which went unnoticed for who knows how long. Everything was moldy and stinky when I found them.

I dumped the whole mess in the wheelbarrow, squirted a lot of liquid laundry detergent on it, ran the wheelbarrow full of water, and let them soak a couple hours. I scrubbed each one with a scrub brush and dunked and dunked and dunked in the soapy water.

I rinsed them in a muckbucket with a lot of liquid fabric softener added to the water. Then I hung them to dry out side and left them for several days. When rain threatened, I hung them in the hay shed for several more weeks.

There are still dark mold stains on some of it, but they don't stink too bad anymore.

judybigredpony
Nov. 18, 2009, 07:18 PM
If it is made of high level of cotton the mold can wreck havoc w/ the strength and bleach will dry it out to much.
You will have to soak it all the way through to the core to kill off any mold spores and by then you may has well go buy a new shank. Unless its leather and even then that much mold will affect it permanently.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 18, 2009, 11:35 PM
I think I'd soak it in bleach, then put it in a bucket with hot soapy water and plunge up and down on it with a toilet plunger. Rinse and hang out in the sun in Sunny Sonoma for the uv rays to do their job.

Crooked Horse
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:28 AM
hang out in the sun in Sunny Sonoma for the uv rays to do their job.

Love it!!

Thanks for all of the tips. I have a freakishly annoying allergy to bleach so that one was out from the start. Even gloves don't help.

It seems that my way actually worked! I figured if it's good for skunk it should be good for just about anything. It didn't work straight off, though...when the rope was still wet it still smelled.
After a day in the sunshine like many suggested, it's 99.9% odor free.
If I practically shove it up my nose I can catch a whiff, but I have no intention of it spending any real time in that vicinity so I think I'm good to go.

There are a few stains but I don't care about those at all, I just wanted to be able to use it. It's a really nice lead...lesson SO learned.

onelanerode
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:21 AM
I routinely wash nylon halters/leads and cotton leads in the washing machine. They always come out looking brand spanking new. I hang them to dry.

I just washed my mare's rope halter, which has a leather popper on the end. I just conditioned the heck out of that after I washed it and it looks fine. I would never do that to an all-leather lead, lol, but for a cheap popper ... sure. It sits out in the rain anyway.

Some quality time in the sun can do a world of good for things that get "funky" ...

JSwan
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:59 AM
I'd put it in the dishwasher with good old Cascade and run it on HOT.


I was looking at dishwashers the other day and found out the new ones have a "steam" setting. Supposed to really get things clean.

I was muttering about how clean and sparkly my spurs and bits would be - and Mr. JSwan was rolling his eyes. But the store clerk helping us nodded knowingly - turned out she has horses, too.

We bought the dishwasher. :lol:

equusvilla
Nov. 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
Add a 1/2 cup of amonia to dish soap and about 3 gallons of water. That will remove the smell. A reduced recipe of this also works for laundry that has been left in the washer too long ...and you don't have to worry about the 'bleaching' effect of bleach!