PDA

View Full Version : Dog beds that handle abuse/frequent washing?

kdow
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:06 PM
Since we weren't sure if he'd even use a bed, Pirate's current bed is a cheap foam thing that isn't standing up to life very well, so he needs a new one. There's a LOT of them out there, though, and I want to spend as little as possible - but still get something that will stand up to a dirty smelly dog shedding all over it, burying gross things in it, and the frequent washing that accompanies such activities.

I'd like something with a bolster that he can curl up in, as opposed to just a flat pad.

So where do you get your farm-dog beds? Do they wash well? Or do you just get cheap ones and throw them out every so often?

(I'm not looking for something that can live outside without any shelter, but something that would be okay in a dog house/outdoor covered kennel type thing would be ideal.)

Nauset
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:11 PM
I have these:

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=6798

and cannot say enough good things about them. They are the best!!

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:22 PM
Angel sleeps in a cheapy one from Wal-Mart, it is oval with back and side bolsters, I didn't pay a lot for it, and have not tried to wash it yet, and because she only sleeps in it, I can't vouch for how well it would hold up to any "abuse".

I can say that years ago I tried putting dog beds down for my two dogs, and would come home to carnage, looked like someone was shearing sheep. After the 4th set of beds that I had to pick up all the stuffing and toss them out, my DH said "NO MORE DOG BEDS", and he built a platform for them with padding and carpeting, so they didn't have to sleep on the concrete in the basement (which is where they stayed during the day - with dog door access to the fenced in back yard). Those beds were also bargain priced ones, but it annoyed me that they would not even last a day. And it was not like the dogs didn't have any toys to play with either, it just seemed that they took great pleasure in pulling all the stuffing out of them.

BasqueMom
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:16 AM
Sometimes TJ Maxx and Ross have some pretty good peds for cheap, also Costco.

If it's for an outside dog house, you might try using a bed of hay. Our older dog would drag anything we put in her house out and destroy it. She only lasted out at night for about a year. Avoid beds with a lot of cording around the edges--both mine tend to chew those. The flat seamed ones get left alone.

bludejavu
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
I agree - hay is great although straw works well too. When we had a GS, we would buy a bale of straw about once a month and replace her straw bed about once a week. She loved it and she couldn't do any damage to it. I'm doing the same thing now for our adopted pittie and she absolutely loves wallowing in the stuff.

ToiRider
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:02 AM
I vote for STRAW all the way.

I lived in Michigan for 30 years, and we bedded everything with straw. Pigs, who have almost no hair coat at all, stayed warm in extremely cold weather with a good bedding of straw as long as they were out of the weather in a small building. Dog beds get wet and muddy, and they don't dry out quickly, unlike straw. I would never use man made material to bed a dog outside.

CatOnLap
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:51 AM
we use hay inside those large plastic kennels and we have hard plastic, plug in heaters, inside under the hay. The dogs smell nice, stay warm and they don't repeat the following performance- the result of the last of a long line of stuffed dog beds before we switched to hay:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/332163152b66cc0205a1ce437def9732bea38b3e.jpg

Alagirl
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
plastic doggy bed with old blankets.

If it's outside, straw (or hay) is wonderful.

My Aunt used to go to bedding outlet stores and buy 2nd grade comforters for her pack, about once a year or so.

Alagirl
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
we use hay inside those large plastic kennels and we have hard plastic, plug in heaters, inside under the hay. The dogs smell nice, stay warm and they don't repeat the following performance- the result of the last of a long line of stuffed dog beds before we switched to hay:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/332163152b66cc0205a1ce437def9732bea38b3e.jpg

I loff the look on the guy in the front:

'Who, me, I am not here' :lol:

fivehorses
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:17 PM
that is hysterical catonalap.

jollytrak
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
plastic doggy bed with old blankets.

If it's outside, straw (or hay) is wonderful.

My Aunt used to go to bedding outlet stores and buy 2nd grade comforters for her pack, about once a year or so.

when i retire my old down comforters (or feel the need to get a new one :winkgrin: ) i place it in a large pillow case, makes a nice fluffy bed.

works well unless you have chewers, diggers or the mischievous like catonlap :lol: too funny!

Alagirl
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:48 PM
when i retire my old down comforters (or feel the need to get a new one :winkgrin: ) i place it in a large pillow case, makes a nice fluffy bed.

works well unless you have chewers, diggers or the mischievous like catonlap :lol: too funny!

Let it snow! :lol:

FalseImpression
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:46 AM
COL,
what is the breed of the yellow dog? I think I have his brother, a lab. Same "innocent" look too.