PDA

View Full Version : Poplar place XC - why all the XC time penalties?

RunForIt
Nov. 14, 2009, 08:27 PM
Just took a look at the PPF live results... lots of top notch folks had XC time added to their score...weather was picture perfect. Anyone know why riders went around with time? :cool:

Cody
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:59 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Especially when I saw that one rider was there with his Olympic mount and had ALOT of time faults.

I have since heard that it was the courses and the changes made as well.

RunForIt
Nov. 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
have now heard that the 2** course was really long....

shea'smom
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:55 PM
mud??

Gry2Yng
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:05 AM
have now heard that the 2** course was really long....

I was curious as well. OT looks to be 8:30. Back in the day (with the long format) Bromont was 9:30 and had WAY more terrain than poplar. Are we shortening the ** as well as the **** now?

pegasusmom
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:59 AM
Talked to a friend there - footing was fine - course design was the issue in their opinion. I also understand there were more jumping efforts than normally allowed under FEI rules.

DQ Eventer
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:04 AM
As I understood, before PPF bid for the CCI2*, making the course LONG enough was going to be a challenge as it was going to involve lots of back and forth type running in order to garner the requisite distance for the CCI level and not just the CIC level that they are accustomed to running. Tremaine had quite the task to make a long enough track for the CCI2* and as I originally understood, there was going to be lots of going to the back, coming back toward the barns, then back to the back, and back again, if you follow. That's about the only way to utilize that property to make it host a LONG enough track for the CCI2*. Even so, it was on the "short" side of that required distance, and potentially ran into some issues with the FEI rules on number of efforts per 100 meters as pegasusmom touched on.

Gry2Yng
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
Makes sense. Forgot that they usually host a CIC.

RunForIt
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:57 AM
...under these conditions? Anyone privy to why the change or have a thoughtful hunch? Hope DQ Eventer jumps in here...

lizajane09
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that because the Ocala Horse Trials later this month has had a change of organizers, they cannot under FEI rules run a CCI there (as was originally planned). This left Area III short a planned CCI, and Poplar agreed to step in and run one in its place.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm sure the riders who are worrying about qualifications are happy to have a CCI with time penalties instead of no CCI at all!

Jennifer

DQ Eventer
Nov. 15, 2009, 12:16 PM
The Area III council approached the Stegman's about running the CCI2* when Chattahoochee Hills had to cancel. Chatt Hills had filled the fall Area III CCI2* void when Ocala canceled back in the summer. Although everyone involved knew it would be a stretch to make the track long enough, the Stegmans were kind enough to pull out all of the stops to see that Area III kept the fall CCI2* by altering their current tracks, buidling new fences, altering routes at the more permanent fixture questions in order to accomodate the new longer track, etc. After the conditions at Fair Hill, many entrants decided to run at Poplar in lieu of not running a CCI2* this fall, so hence the significant entry number increase over the last few weeks. As I understand it, the course at Poplar underwent major renovations in a relatively short period of time in order to see that this happened this year. Kudos to all involved for pulling it off in fine style!

RunForIt
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
That all makes sense! Great that the Area III organizers work together so well to do all that they possibly can to make sure horses and riders at every level get what they need! :cool:

clpony
Nov. 15, 2009, 03:23 PM
super snaps to the stegmans!!

martyc
Nov. 15, 2009, 05:48 PM
Kudos to Poplar and the Stegmans for stepping in to fill the CCI** breach left by the cancellation of Ocala and Chattahoochee cancelled. From all accounts, they did a great job.To anyone who has been at Poplar, however, the terrain does not lend itself to an open galloping course. It tends to be twisty, turny, with short steep hills. It is a great CIC site, but I think Chattahochee is better suited to a CCI. I hope the USEA and USEF think so as well...

MMEventing
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:36 PM
First off, MANY kudos to the Stegmans and PPF for having the CCI**. I was one of them at Fairhill that did not run and was excited to have this to still get my qualifications.

As far as the course goes, I thought it was a fair course with tougher questions then Fairhill presented. But if anyone has been there before they know the up and down takes a lot of time away from the clock. The beginning of the course had more gallop time then the end, as there were more questions at the end. They did a great job giving you as much galloping room as possible though, and the OT was 8:41.

DQ Eventer
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:47 AM
Does anyone still have a copy of the coursemap from the CCI divisions? After having seen all of the changes that were made to the course tracks, it'd be very interesteing to actually see it on a coursemap.

FlightCheck
Nov. 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
sorry, tossed them out at the car rental return :(

JesslynW
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:24 PM
I just accredit it top my super, turbo charged 15 yr old pony who has the biggest heart ever. The first few minutes of the course felt like a roller coaster, it's a good thing we didn't get motion sick, but I never expected to be the only one not to have any time. I knew I was going fast, but thought others would too.... I DEARLY appreciate the Stegmens generosity and time for putting on the show. Hopefully have a couple years left with Tucker, and really needed to get this CCI** done this fall, again, THANK YOU POPLAR!!!!!!

PS, I did have my heart in my throat just coming around the backside turn between fence 3 and 4........ hoping it wasn't a slip-n-slide...... Luv my pony!!!

atleventer
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:18 PM
the xc at poplar was extremely twisty/turny. due to a serious lack of space, the course crossed itself a few times. major kudos though to the stegmans and tremaine for volunteering to run the ccis! i believe there was one double clean xc in the **, and that horse already has shown heavily at advanced

JesslynW
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:15 PM
I guess my thoughts of shown heavily at advanced are different. We did 2 adv in 2007, poplar and morven. 2 last year, again, poplar and morven, and one show at intermediate this year. I just love my pony, wish I could afford to show him a little more "heavily".....

Liebe-ist-Krieg
Nov. 23, 2009, 06:49 PM
well, I can't speak for the CCI** competitors, as I ran in the OI division, but I must say that the time was really not too tough to make on our course. We had several nice galloping stretches, and towards the end we even kind of coasted along and came in with something like 6 penalties. The course was very different from what I expected, but it rode SO well and was very appropriate for the level.
Another big thanks to the Stegmans, I'm around Poplar a lot and they put an incredible amount of effort into making the CCI divisions work in a limited time span.