PDA

View Full Version : Boots for big guys

yellowbritches
Nov. 14, 2009, 05:59 PM
I know there was a thread about this a few months ago, but I can't find it...sorry.

One of our clients has a big draft cross. Currently, she does all three phases naked legged, but she wants to move up to training next year, which means it will be time for studs. We are all of the mind that he should get boots for xc. We are having a hell of a time deciding what would be the best bet, though!

He is not absurdly long legged, but thick (and hairy...my clippers and I do constant battle against his feathers!). Most of my "normal" size boots fit him length wise, but they seem a little lacking in the width department. So far, he has modeled good ol' Woof boots (medium/4 strap up front, large/5 strap behind), the Woof All Around (large, but only up front. I don't have any hinds), and the Bar F/Pelham Ascot boots (large in the front, XL behind). They all kinda fit, but none fit the way I'd like.

So, all you draft cross/big guy riders, what do your tree trunk legged horses wear on xc?

asterix
Nov. 14, 2009, 06:13 PM
well, you know I'd have to chime in on this one, right?
:lol:

For my super-giant, now-deceased ID cross, I had Boogaloos. They fit him wonderfully. I measured him and called the Boogaloo folks and they sent me whatever they thought would work...and they were right.

These are actually too big for my current crop of over-sized ponies -- I'd be happy to part with them for a modest fee if they fit (easy to arrange a trial at a ht next year...).

For my current guys, I had Nunn Finers, and although they seemed like they fit, I could NOT keep them in place on my big horse's hinds -- he has huge windpuffs on top of everything else. They didn't close all the way and that seemed to effect their ability to stay put.

I now have ThinLines, which I love. These, too, do not close all the way -- there is a gap along the outside of each leg. But they stay put very well and I think this is probably the least important part to protect.

I was just quizzed about this as a demo rider at a XC ICP workshop...told my boots "don't seem big enough..."

all I could say was that nothing else fit, and they seem to do the job.

Duramax
Nov. 14, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm in the same boat with Elliot, my drafty cross. The length is fine with my 4 and 5 strap Woof boots but the ends barely touched! I just got him some of the doublelock velcro Woof boots and they are great- I got the 3 strap for behind and they are plenty big enough to wrap all the way around his leg. I haven't tried the 2 strap doublelocking style yet but I'm guessing they will work for the front.

LuckyOne
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
http://toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=11-2100&k=87214
Go there, they have a wide variety of sizes that are not listed. Give them a call and they will tell you what you can order. I have a client with a giant draft, and he is short boned, but very thick. They made boots to fit.
They are also very easy to deal with.

Toklat.com, in case the link does not work.

They are the ones that make Woof Boots, just so you know what boots you are looking into

yellowbritches
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the input. asterix, we should compare notes and see if your boots would be a good fit.

AKB
Nov. 16, 2009, 12:47 AM
Woof boots come in an XL size that fit my Irish Draught well. I just bought a pair from Adams Horse Supply.

yellowbritches
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
Woof boots come in an XL size that fit my Irish Draught well. I just bought a pair from Adams Horse Supply.
The XLs (if we are talking the classic Woofs) are far too long on this guy. He is average in length, just not width...that's the tricky part!

LuckyOne
Nov. 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
The XLs (if we are talking the classic Woofs) are far too long on this guy. He is average in length, just not width...that's the tricky part!

If you call Toklat, they make Woof Boots with extra width but the same length as their regular boots.
So you can have a very short cannon bone, but a large circumference, and they will have a boot to fit. We have done this and the boots work great.

IFG
Nov. 16, 2009, 12:01 PM
When I bought my NEW boots, I noticed that the fit chart has a specific size for shorter thicker legs. Might be worth a look. I love my NEWs.

asterix
Nov. 16, 2009, 12:55 PM
hmm, yb, my Boogaloos may not work after all. My Irish guy was 17.3 on a short day and his legs were giant in every direction. They might be too long!
anyway, they live in my trailer, so...

tarheelmd07
Nov. 16, 2009, 05:15 PM
They don't have any pictures, but www.drafttack.com advertises "splint boots" at the bottom of this page:
http://www.drafttack.com/page66.html
might be worth a call to see what they look like...

the drafttack.com folks were very helpful when I needed giant bell boots and larger bits for the 18.2h percheron I used to ride...and their bit selection is MUCH better than it used to be (heck , they even have a waterford 3-ring in a 7.25"!)

asterix
Nov. 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
OT, but can I just say that, although I love me my giant horses, if I had a horse that needed a 7.25" waterford, I'd have to seriously reconsider!!! :lol::lol:

AKB
Nov. 19, 2009, 09:11 AM
If you check the size chart on the website for Woof boots you will find that they make an XL which is wider but not taller than the regular boots. I had a lot of trouble finding them, so was pleased when I called Adams Horse Supply and they were in stock.