PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season

red squirrel ridge
Nov. 14, 2009, 06:36 PM
With opening day for firearm deer season starting tomorrow here in Michigan, I was wondering what if any precautions everyone was taking to keep themselves and their animals safe this year ? Both from hunters and deer ...

I have been keeping my equines penned up near the barn at night and letting them access the rest of the pasture during the day. I've been doing this for the last month b/c last year during rut
(deer breeding season) we had a terrifying experience where during the middle of the night my donkey was chased through the fence, around our yard and eventually across the highway- by a misguided deer :eek:. Thankfully a good samaritan saw her, stopped and woke us up. No one was hurt and she was fine, although understandably freaked out, as was I. The next day I was able to find both her and the deer's tracks and by retracing them figure out what had happened. Bucks can act rather bizarrely during rut and she was in heat. Both my husband and I are hunters and have heard other strange stories of "deer behaving badly".

So what do you guys do ?

Cloverbarley
Nov. 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
Our firearm deer hunting season pretty much ends tomorrow so we're all done with it for a while.

My horses don't care at all about deer, they are used to seeing them every day so during hunting season is no different from any other day. My guys are used to guns as well so not a problem there either. Where I live, hunters will not come onto your premises without permission so we have no fear of meeting them up in our forest and when on land/forest owned by others, well generally we know which landowners allow hunting and which ones don't and we usually know most of the hunters anyway who are quite respective of us, as we are of them.

If I am riding out in woodland where I know hunters have been given permission to hunt on, I do always wear an orange vest and ride a bright coloured horse and not a brown one. ;)

secretariat
Nov. 14, 2009, 07:53 PM
My "back 30" is a mixed woods/grassland valley in eastern Kentucky. I take the horses off of it when bow season starts, and don't put them back until December. Pain in the a$$, but better than getting one shot. It's literally a war zone here during October-December.

Nanerpus
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:52 PM
Bright orange turnout blankets for my two, and we also put signs up on our land alerting hunters to the presence of our equines - we just moved the horses home and our land is where many hunters in town have been coming for over 50 years - so many don't know the horses are up here yet :eek:.

Luckily the paddocks are all very close to our house/barn so that's more comforting...but still...

RiverBendPol
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:36 PM
Our 200 acres are posted but our neighbor's land is not. I am always afraid of someone hunting on the neighboring land aiming towards ours...My horses wear their blaze orange vests while outside and I wear a blaze orange vest whenever I'm out, with horses or on foot. My chestnut TB gelding looks just like a deer so he is always dressed. The dogs wear vests too, or an orange collar with a big bell.

I forgot to tell this little story. When Emstah was little, around 8, I took her, her best friend and the best friend's mother on a trail ride in some beautiful suburban Massachusetts woods. We were wandering along, minding our own business when a 10-point buck popped out of the thicket. He stood at attention, staring at us for a full 45 seconds. Then he came at us, full tilt, then did the rear up, run on the hind legs toward us thing. The DQ horse was fliping out, having been in the woods exactly 3 times in its life, the fancy little show pony started having a cow right then and there, Em's 27 year old pony stood his ground, my fancy, experienced event horse began to thump his heart and shake. I, being the most experienced in the woods, sent the other 3 away and pushed my horse forward. We eventually chased the guy off but me o my, it was a gripper. That old buck reeeeeeally wanted a piece of us....

Frank B
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:51 AM
...That old buck reeeeeeally wanted a piece of us....

Literally! :lol:

A friend has a plastic buck and doe in her front yard and says one year a Whitetail tried several times to get amorous with one. Oddly, he chose the buck. Guess he was coming out of the closet.

The SIL in Maine had a cast iron buck that got charged repeatedly until the intruding Whitetail knocked himself silly, breaking an antler in the process.

Hunters should be careful how they use that "rutty doe pee". Bambi is liable to think he's being propositioned!

KnKShowmom
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:03 AM
Where I live, hunters will not come onto your premises without permission so we have no fear of meeting them up in our forest and when on land/forest owned by others, well generally we know which landowners allow hunting and which ones don't and we usually know most of the hunters anyway who are quite respective of us, as we are of them.

Boy, I wish I lived on your farm - I have been battling poachers for the last 25 years! I have had them level a rifle in my direction, run hounds on my land and tell me they were trying to catch them, and build tree stands in the middle of MY woods. It got so bad that when we cleared some land for a riding ring, I let them clear the adjoining 10 acres - can't put up a tree stand if there aren't any trees! Had to spend extra $$$ to put the riding ring at the bottom of the hill because the nice flat spot would have been in range of stray bullets.

We have had muzzle loader the last 2 weeks so I have kept the horses in till mid morning on Saturdays and till 9 during the week. Yesterday was the first day of general rifle/idiot season so I kept them in until noon and then turned out with some ace to take the edge off - they had been in (with handwalking/grazing) since Wednesday due to Ida.

Glad it's Sunday - a bit of piece and quiet.

Cloverbarley
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
Boy, I wish I lived on your farm
It's not just on my farm. This is the law in my part of the country - if a landowner posts No Hunting signs then it is illegal for anyone to hunt on it, and they are prosecuted if they do. Hunters around these parts are very respectful of this as they know if they mess up then they'll all be told where to go by us landowners and risk losing their hunting grounds.

Mind you, I live in a fairly civilized place so although there are a few local hunters here most big-time hunters probably hunt way out in the middle of nowhere.

ReSomething
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
The adjoining farm to me was just parceled up and 40 acres went to a group of hunters who were adding to their place. As far as we could tell they were already hunting that 40 and although they have never wandered over to our side of the fence they do let their dogs run loose and they show up here.
We have a high ridge in the middle of our 15 acres and our future pasture area is all down low on either side of the drainage. DH is a little worried about people firing in this direction and getting that one in a million shot that makes it over the ridge, through the woods and then starts the downward part of its trajectory and hits something in the farmyard. The property line is only 900' away, it could happen.
When we develop the back 5 we will be moving the animals out when rifle season starts. So far this hunting group does not do black powder and we don't think they do bow, we've never noticed them during those seasons.

tabula rashah
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:17 PM
I HATE, HATE, HATE hunting season- I have to move my horses up close to the house and I can't even walk on the back part of my property without having to worry about being shot. Honestly, I don't mind hunting itself and I know there are many responsible hunters out there, but I'm tired of beer cans, cut fences, horses being shot and guns going off 24-7 (and, yes, before you all ask, my property is posted in accordance to MD and PA law). Also, my property is in MD, but the whole back fence line on the PA state line so I get to deal with both states hunting seasons. Oh and the part of PA I back up to is a state park that is leased to a hunting club for the winter. Pretty much the shooting goes on from late Oct thru late January... sigh....

jaimebaker
Nov. 15, 2009, 02:16 PM
Boy, I wish I lived on your farm - I have been battling poachers for the last 25 years! I have had them level a rifle in my direction, run hounds on my land and tell me they were trying to catch them, and build tree stands in the middle of MY woods.

Same here. All the hunters here are illiterate and can't read the hundreds of No Trespassing signs around the property. We have had a camera installed that watched the front pastures and the driveway for about a year now which we can monitor on the internet. Last year, even with that camera in place and signs stating there was 24 hour surveillance on the property, I found a gun clip outside my stallion's pasture. Now, all of our 140 acres is fences and cross fenced. They are climbing to get in there. And walking right past No Trespassing signs.:mad: So, we got another camera on the stud's pasture. I plan on getting two more cameras up there. One to watch a separate pasture and one to watch the creek where the hunter are coming through via State Park Property. I will prosecute every one of them. We live a mile off the road and not one single neighbor of ours allows hunting. Unfortunately, our property is surrounded by State Park Forestry which DOES allow hunting. I do a lot of praying during hunting season.

jaimebaker
Nov. 15, 2009, 02:18 PM
It's not just on my farm. This is the law in my part of the country - if a landowner posts No Hunting signs then it is illegal for anyone to hunt on it, and they are prosecuted if they do. Hunters around these parts are very respectful of this as they know if they mess up then they'll all be told where to go by us landowners and risk losing their hunting grounds.

Mind you, I live in a fairly civilized place so although there are a few local hunters here most big-time hunters probably hunt way out in the middle of nowhere.

It's the law here too. Hasn't stopped the poachers. That's why they are called POACHERS and not Hunters. Hunters are respectful and can read. Poachers don't give a damn. Consider yourself lucky.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:39 PM
My experience has been much the same as Cloverbarley's. We had one group of "evildoers" who gave trouble a couple of years back, but I haven't seen them around the past two seasons.

I don't really do anything different during hunting season, except stay off the land I know people have permission to hunt.

JSwan
Nov. 15, 2009, 07:51 PM
When I ride on trails I wear blaze orange. It's just good common sense and basic safety.

I welcome hunters on my land and have found that having hunters really puts a dent in trespassers and poachers. Letting a club or a few folks hunt is better than a darn security system.:)

There aren't enough quail to hunt - my neighbor and I are still working on reintroduction. But I and several others allow deer, squirrel, rabbit, coyote and turkey hunting so we've got hunters almost year 'round. Some folks use dogs for the rabbits - one guy uses his for turkey and squirrel.

Never had any trouble with hunters - they're really good about making sure gates are closed, their blinds are safe, they don't put ruts in my fields, etc. Good folks.

Still - it's wise to at least wear blaze orange or put a bell on the horse or something.

For folks having trouble with poachers - consider working with a hunting club and granting them permission to hunt on your land. A good club will have folks that make sure everyone is licensed, and they tend to be pretty protective about hunting privileges. They'll have no compunction about ratting out any poacher they see.

lesson junkie
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:43 PM
We have an arrangement with a neighbor. He hunts our 140 acres, and keeps the trails cleared, and watches out for poachers and tresspassers. He knows where my horses are, so I don't worry about them.

We have done this for several years with this neighbor, and it's worked great.

tabula rashah
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:31 AM
When I ride on trails I wear blaze orange. It's just good common sense and basic safety.

I welcome hunters on my land and have found that having hunters really puts a dent in trespassers and poachers. Letting a club or a few folks hunt is better than a darn security system.:)

There aren't enough quail to hunt - my neighbor and I are still working on reintroduction. But I and several others allow deer, squirrel, rabbit, coyote and turkey hunting so we've got hunters almost year 'round. Some folks use dogs for the rabbits - one guy uses his for turkey and squirrel.

Never had any trouble with hunters - they're really good about making sure gates are closed, their blinds are safe, they don't put ruts in my fields, etc. Good folks.

Still - it's wise to at least wear blaze orange or put a bell on the horse or something.

For folks having trouble with poachers - consider working with a hunting club and granting them permission to hunt on your land. A good club will have folks that make sure everyone is licensed, and they tend to be pretty protective about hunting privileges. They'll have no compunction about ratting out any poacher they see.

This works unless its the hunting club that's causing the trouble-

The other day I hauled over to a state park to ride (normally I just ride there from my house, but couldn't because the crazy amount of shooting)- The state park is fairly small and heavily used by families (picnic pavilions, exercise track, playground, etc). I came around the bend and there were two hunters (a couple hundred yards from the playground!!!!). They saw me and took off- I reported it to the ranger who basically said there's so many of them, there's nothing they can do about it- The parks are so underfunded that there are two rangers for two parks together.

Wind
Nov. 16, 2009, 03:27 PM
Rifle season just opened here last Wednesday 11/11 and runs until 12/6. I will not go out into the woods during that time - I stick to dirt roads. All the blaze orange and bells will not stop a ricochetting bullet from a 3030. I saw the damage one stray bullet did passing through brick walls of a house, had a lasting impression on me. Don't mine going out during muzzel loaders or shotgun, just rifle. But, that's me.