PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on eventing tack/equipment

paintmare
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:25 PM
So when you got into eventing, what kind of tack should I expect to have? I'm just planning on doing lower level stuff, nothing too serious.

Do I need a dressage saddle? I currently have a Crosby Prix des Nations (Sovereign). I love it and really don't like riding in newer saddles with knee rolls and so on. If there are any really close contact dressage saddles, what's a good brand? I prefer to have less leather between me and the horse.

If you can think of anything you consider must-haves and why, let me know. Be it a saddle, bridle, boots, etc. Thanks!

Janet
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:36 PM
You don't need a dressage saddle, until you get to the point where your jumping saddle is having a bad effect on your position.

There ARE flat, non-cushy dressage saddles (especially older ones) but wait until your dressage gets to the point where you findyou need a saddle, you might change your mind by that point.

The biggest new thing you will need is a safety vest, and a medical armband.

If you currently use a standing martingale, you will have to stop using it (a running is legal).

Make sure you have a "dressage-legal" bit.

You will probably want galloping boots of some sort.

You will also want non-leather gloves with a good grip (leather gloves are slippery when wet).

You CAN use the same (approved) helmet for all three phases, but many people use a lighter weight "schooling" helmet for cross country .

Riad Jimmy Wofford's book
Read the USEA "Make and Event of It"
Read the rule book.

HAVE FUN

purplnurpl
Nov. 14, 2009, 08:47 AM
check your PMs

jn4jenny
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
What Janet said. Most people I know bought a ton of gear when they started eventing only to find that most of it is a luxury, not a necessity. Take your "gear money" and spend it on XC schooling with an eventing trainer instead.

As long as you meet the attire and saddlery requirements from the rulebook, you're fine. Even the galloping boots are somewhat optional--I know lots of people who run the lower levels up to Training without any boots at all.

Make sure you buy a safety vest that is comfortable and safe. If you find a local eventing trainer, there may be someone in the barn who can loan you a vest for your first event, otherwise plan to spend anywhere from $80-$300 for a vest. Be sure the vest doesn't hit your saddle's cantle with every stride (super annoying) and doesn't ride up around your shoulders.