PDA

View Full Version : good fences = good neighbors, or they should...

2ndyrgal
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:47 PM
I share a fenceline with my neighbor, though we both have other fields to put our horses in, I like to rotate pastures. My problem is, if I use the paddock with the common fenceline, she gets all up in the bridle and moans about it. She did it when I had a boarder's horse there, I truly use it as little as possible, during the summer, I'll turn out at night and move mine in the morning so she can use it, then I get home from work, and she's put her horses out at 4P and doesn't bring them in til 7. In the fall/winter, she wants to put them out from 11-2 or when ever she gets either around to it or home. I very pleasantly suggested that for pasture rotation, I need to be able to use my side too, and the horse she puts out there, or one of them, will not get along with my two. I work, she does not. Now, neither of her horses are allowed grass, they wear muzzles at all times. My paddock is probably half the width of hers, she doesn't bale it or mow it (my husband's mowed it several times a year for the last couple of years to be nice). So I suggested that we build a second fence, on her side, four or five board, painted to match, trim her falling down poison ivy covered trees (which she complains about when she sees me doing ours) and we would take care of mowing between and weed wacking the fences. All our cost, nothing for her to do but decide where she wants it and what kind of fence she wants. My pasture on the adjoining side is too narrow to put up a second fence, I have a long narrow pasture running along her fence on one side and our grass airstrip on the other. Her reply was that I should just continue to turn my horses out at night if I wanted to use that field, or simply abandon using it and build more fence (meaning run more water and electric and walk another 300-400 yards and spend another several thousand dollars. I suggested that since she was home and I was not, that if she wanted to turn out in the morning, then just nip over and open ONE GATE on my property (which she could drive her gater right up to) so my boys could switch over for the rest of the day, I was told that her horses needed to eat their breakfast first, she then had to run errands and didn't want to be "on a schedule". OK, I tried to compromise. Here are my choices, put mine in that field when I damn well feel like it and lose a friend, because she will be annoyed though she does have another turn out for the horse she's most concerned about (the mini gets on with my guys just fine), or put up an 8ft high chain link fence all the way down the fenceline on my side a foot from the existing fence (since the fence there now is 4 board and the view from her back porch is lovely, I'm thinking I lose a friend that way too, but, it does solve the problem, and I did tell her that if I had to build a fence on my side, it would likely be high and ugly. So I did warn her she might not like my solution if we couldn't compromise. What would you all do??

LauraKY
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:54 PM
Can't you put electric with a solar charger along your side of the fence? They have extenders that stick out 8". Not really expensive (at least less than four board fencing). Sure keeps our guys away from the fences! Or, just run a temporary electric fence 2 to 3 feet out from the fence. Be a pain to mow, but easy to put in and move. The push in posts are great, very flexible and and really only need one to two lines of electric to keep them on their side of the fence.

BeeHoney
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:28 PM
Your neighbor is being absurdly demanding. If she doesn't want her horses socializing with yours, SHE is free to put up a new fence inset from the property line, run some electric wire, or not turn her horses out there. I would be pleasant but firm, you have every right to use your own turnout paddock at your own convenience! And I would not invite a neighbor (even a very friendly one) to come over and handle my horses while I wasn't home, what if something weird happened?

True, it is worth a lot of inconvenience to have a good relationship with your neighbors...but having a neighbor tell you that you can't use your turnout paddocks during the day is too extreme. As a courtesy, I think it is reasonable to refrain from putting a stallion, an unusually aggressive horse, or a sick horse out in a paddock with a shared fenceline.

For myself, I don't think I would miss the friendship of someone like this.

gieriscm
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:33 PM
A hot wire run along the top of the fence line usually keeps horsies that don't get along with each other at a respectful distance.

Gnalli
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:00 AM
Your paddock, your horses, your mortgage, your taxes YOUR CHOICE.

I would do what I had to do to keep mine safe (most likely the hotwire extenders) and do as I please since you have done everything you possibly can to keep the peace. Apparently, neighbor is NOT your friend, does not worry as much as you do about keeping good relations with the neighbors. This is not to say that I would antagonize her, but I would use my property the way I saw fit. If she said something about it, I would explain it nicely, tactfully, but firmly that you had offered to do this this and this, but none of the suggestions suited her, so you were going to utilize your property without damage to hers.

If a neighbor had a horse too close to mine, and mine had issues, I would move mine, not ask the neighbor to give up half her place. Now, the exception would be however, if the neighbor had a stud-then I would talk to them 1st and see if we could come to an agreement. If not, then I would move mine or fix my fence to MY satisfaction.

I am not going to tell someone else what to do with their place, and I won't let them tell what to do with mine. Live and let live kind of thing

birdsong
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
You are being too considerate in this picture. I agree with the others. Electric and smiles as you use your property as you need to.

You tried.

Bluey
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:16 AM
I share a fenceline with my neighbor, though we both have other fields to put our horses in, I like to rotate pastures. My problem is, if I use the paddock with the common fenceline, she gets all up in the bridle and moans about it. She did it when I had a boarder's horse there, I truly use it as little as possible, during the summer, I'll turn out at night and move mine in the morning so she can use it, then I get home from work, and she's put her horses out at 4P and doesn't bring them in til 7. In the fall/winter, she wants to put them out from 11-2 or when ever she gets either around to it or home. I very pleasantly suggested that for pasture rotation, I need to be able to use my side too, and the horse she puts out there, or one of them, will not get along with my two. I work, she does not. Now, neither of her horses are allowed grass, they wear muzzles at all times. My paddock is probably half the width of hers, she doesn't bale it or mow it (my husband's mowed it several times a year for the last couple of years to be nice). So I suggested that we build a second fence, on her side, four or five board, painted to match, trim her falling down poison ivy covered trees (which she complains about when she sees me doing ours) and we would take care of mowing between and weed wacking the fences. All our cost, nothing for her to do but decide where she wants it and what kind of fence she wants. My pasture on the adjoining side is too narrow to put up a second fence, I have a long narrow pasture running along her fence on one side and our grass airstrip on the other. Her reply was that I should just continue to turn my horses out at night if I wanted to use that field, or simply abandon using it and build more fence (meaning run more water and electric and walk another 300-400 yards and spend another several thousand dollars. I suggested that since she was home and I was not, that if she wanted to turn out in the morning, then just nip over and open ONE GATE on my property (which she could drive her gater right up to) so my boys could switch over for the rest of the day, I was told that her horses needed to eat their breakfast first, she then had to run errands and didn't want to be "on a schedule". OK, I tried to compromise. Here are my choices, put mine in that field when I damn well feel like it and lose a friend, because she will be annoyed though she does have another turn out for the horse she's most concerned about (the mini gets on with my guys just fine), or put up an 8ft high chain link fence all the way down the fenceline on my side a foot from the existing fence (since the fence there now is 4 board and the view from her back porch is lovely, I'm thinking I lose a friend that way too, but, it does solve the problem, and I did tell her that if I had to build a fence on my side, it would likely be high and ugly. So I did warn her she might not like my solution if we couldn't compromise. What would you all do??

I am glad others could read your post and give you some answers.
Posted as you did, all in one block, I could not read it.
I assume others may have the same problem, so please, for those that don't use paragraphs, try to do so, so everyone here can understand what you are saying.
Thanks.:)

Amchara
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
I would think that given a week for horses to sort themselves out on their sides of the fence, there would be no drama in very short order.

Amchara
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:27 AM
Spaced for Bluey

I share a fenceline with my neighbor, though we both have other fields to put our horses in, I like to rotate pastures.

My problem is, if I use the paddock with the common fenceline, she gets all up in the bridle and moans about it. She did it when I had a boarder's horse there, I truly use it as little as possible, during the summer, I'll turn out at night and move mine in the morning so she can use it, then I get home from work, and she's put her horses out at 4P and doesn't bring them in til 7. In the fall/winter, she wants to put them out from 11-2 or when ever she gets either around to it or home. I very pleasantly suggested that for pasture rotation, I need to be able to use my side too, and the horse she puts out there, or one of them, will not get along with my two. I work, she does not.

Now, neither of her horses are allowed grass, they wear muzzles at all times. My paddock is probably half the width of hers, she doesn't bale it or mow it (my husband's mowed it several times a year for the last couple of years to be nice). So I suggested that we build a second fence, on her side, four or five board, painted to match, trim her falling down poison ivy covered trees (which she complains about when she sees me doing ours) and we would take care of mowing between and weed wacking the fences. All our cost, nothing for her to do but decide where she wants it and what kind of fence she wants. My pasture on the adjoining side is too narrow to put up a second fence, I have a long narrow pasture running along her fence on one side and our grass airstrip on the other.

Her reply was that I should just continue to turn my horses out at night if I wanted to use that field, or simply abandon using it and build more fence (meaning run more water and electric and walk another 300-400 yards and spend another several thousand dollars.

I suggested that since she was home and I was not, that if she wanted to turn out in the morning, then just nip over and open ONE GATE on my property (which she could drive her gater right up to) so my boys could switch over for the rest of the day, I was told that her horses needed to eat their breakfast first, she then had to run errands and didn't want to be "on a schedule". OK, I tried to compromise.

Here are my choices, put mine in that field when I damn well feel like it and lose a friend, because she will be annoyed though she does have another turn out for the horse she's most concerned about (the mini gets on with my guys just fine), or put up an 8ft high chain link fence all the way down the fenceline on my side a foot from the existing fence (since the fence there now is 4 board and the view from her back porch is lovely, I'm thinking I lose a friend that way too, but, it does solve the problem, and I did tell her that if I had to build a fence on my side, it would likely be high and ugly.

So I did warn her she might not like my solution if we couldn't compromise. What would you all do??

katarine
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hot wire and a good solar charger and a smile that calls it done.

Friends don't allow friends to run their lives.

Bluey
Nov. 14, 2009, 12:22 PM
Spaced for Bluey

Thank you so much.:cool:

I don't have anything to add to what has been pointed out.:)

JSwan
Nov. 14, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hot wire and a good solar charger and a smile that calls it done.

For the jerk neighbor or the horses? :lol:

The OP is being awfully nice and neighborly.

Nothing to add except that that if the OP decides to build a fence set back from the property line - that the jerk neighbor may, over time, decide that the property outside that new fence line is hers.

And she may be right - so it's important that if the OP creates a new fence line - and there is a "no man's land" between that and the one on the property line - that she continue to maintain the area up to her actual property lined as described on her title report and survey. Mow, trim, paint, etc.

The OP may also want to pay for an updated title report (called a bringdown)/survey every few years, or if the property changes hands.

Just to try and avoid any disputes over title/property lines in the future. Those can get very ugly and very expensive to resolve.

Good luck!

JanM
Nov. 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
This woman is not your friend. She is at best a 'friend' when she gets her way, and only then. Do as the others suggested with the hot wire on your side, but place the wire far enough inside to mow behind, and make sure you put a gate for easy access on either end of the space so you can just mow quickly. And stay off her property-if you damage anything she'll sue you. She can pay someone to mow her property if she wants it mowed. She's taking advantage of you, and trying to manipulate you and that isn't friendly. You won't be losing a friend, because she never was a friend at all.

ponies123
Nov. 14, 2009, 04:58 PM
Do you feel that your horse(s) are in danger of being hurt when they're turned out at the same, or is she the only one that has a problem with it? You have been more than nice, and if you're not worried about your horses safety or soundness I would give her "the bird" and turn them out whenever you damn well please. She'll complain, sure, but it is your property and you're free to do with it as you wish.

Horse with No Name
Nov. 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
You're way too nice! :)

Run a line of hot wire or tape with extenders out from your existing fence.
Don't, whatever you do, put anything up on her property. If she or any of her horses manage to injure themselves on it she'd probably sue ya

You get to use your paddock whenever you want, and don't forget to wave while she's mowing her paddock or finally felling her poison ivy covered trees :D

slantedhorse
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
He came over and introduced himself when he was building his home. I thought he was a bit forward and borderline rude banging down our door... Our fence on his side was set in about 25 or 30 feet (I did that intentionally looking forward to the day someone would have horses there!) He asked if he could temporarily attach his fence to ours. He seemed surprised when I said no.

I AM SO GLAD I DIDN'T LET HIM DO IT!! It took him a year to get that fence done...interestingly enough, it has a gate that leads to our property. The guy likes to walk his dog on our property. The first time I spotted him he was practically in our backyard. On numerous occasions, the neighbors ride motorcycles out in our field (no horses in that field). The no trespassing signs finally had to go up. They have absolutely no respect and the next time I actually see them, time to call the sheriff. It's a crime.

On the other hand, a little further up my horses shared a fence line with different neighbors. They would hang out on the fenceline. Guess what my stupid horses did? They ate the bark off their trees... as in like trying to kill them, not just a nibble. Like 5-8 trees one spring day when the sap was close to the bark - yum. The same day I noticed so did the neighbor...totally embarrassing and a bit concerning as he was a lawyer. He asked me to put up hotwire, gave me permission to attach it to his fence and offered to pay for half of it. I put it up willingly as my stupid horses caused damage. A couple of years later, I paid a lot of money to have it double-fenced. The down-side to double fencing is maintenance and no man's land where the ground hogs seem to feel free to make hotels....

A lot of "pressure" is placed in areas where horses play over the fence. I don't need a horse to get hurt or knock boards down and get out. What happens if her horses get hurt and she has basically told you that "your horses are fighting with mine". If you went to court, you might lose. Non-horse people would never understand that the other horse was just "fence fighting", "playing halter tag", or whatever.

Put up the electric fence... they even have one that runs off D-cell batteries, pound in a ground rod and you are in business. Oh, make it looks nice....insulators at the same height.

I wish I lived in the middle of a 10,000 acre preserver...no neighbors!!

Pocket Pony
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:52 PM
I ditto the electric fence stand-offs. We have a shared fenceline with one neighbor who has kids. We have one pony who is very naughty and looks cute but will bite. We put a line of tape fence in probably 5-6 feet from our shared fenceline so that pony wouldn't get to the fence. The kids were never really interested but it made me feel better that if they did stand at their fence their fingers wouln't become pony snacks!

You absolutely should use that pasture however you choose. It is YOUR pasture! A stand-off or second tape fenceline should keep the ponies from interacting - I would put it up just so you can have your own peace of mind that she won't come over to your property and try to move your horses. Other than that, it is HER problem and she needs to take responsibility for her horse management practices.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 15, 2009, 11:07 PM
I would not want this person opening gates or handling my horses on my property. I agree with the consensus.

What a pita.

lcw579
Nov. 16, 2009, 11:00 AM
I would think that given a week for horses to sort themselves out on their sides of the fence, there would be no drama in very short order.

This. And then add the electric when you are ready. How much do the horses play over the fence, anyway?

Saidapal
Nov. 16, 2009, 11:14 AM
I share a fenceline with a neighbor who hasn't a clue. When she brought her horse home (good for her!) I just asked that she hot wire her side of the fence. I have mine already wired because I have 3 nosey nellies who have to see and check out ANYTHING new. She did, but then she came and told me her wire wasn't working. I walked the fence line and she's right, it doesn't work because it's drooping, touching trees, cluttered by weeds, you get the picture. Right now it's more of a hazard than a help.

So, I make sure my wire is always HOT and I say nothing more. I've already explained to her what she needs to do, and I've offered to walk the fence line with her to show her, and she won't do it. To keep peace I've given up. Luckily my guys aren't that interested in her boy so it's all turned out okay.

I would put up hot wire with long extenders and use the paddock anyway I saw fit. This way it becomes her problem and stops being yours.

Wind
Nov. 16, 2009, 03:10 PM
Definitely put up hot wire with long extenders and use your property as you see fit - you paid for it and the property taxes. This neighbor is not your friend - I have a very nosey horsey neighbor similar to your neighbor - I tried to "be nice" which was a very big mistake on my part; but the "nicer" I was, the more controlling and obnoxious she became. Needless to say, I finally stopped having anything to do with her.

Good luck