PDA

View Full Version : best reins & gloves for excellent grip?

Fiat Lux
Nov. 13, 2009, 06:35 PM
What's your favorite rein/glove combination for excellent grip even with wet or sweaty reins?

Do you like web reins, all rubber, rubber lined, etc, etc?

What gloves do you find offer the best grip? Or do you prefer no gloves?

Thanks!

yellowbritches
Nov. 13, 2009, 06:57 PM
Rubber reins + cotton string gloves = great grip.

I like the string gloves because I feel like they are the closest thing to going naked handed and give me a very positive clear feel.

vbunny
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:16 PM
Rubber plus aquasuede - SSG makes them, Ariats are my favorite though

tcgelec
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:18 PM
Rubber reins and SSG All-Weather gloves. They fit like a second skin. I buy a few pairs at a time so I always have a relatively new pair for the HTs. This glove also come in colors. I use black for dressage & stadium, blue to match my XC colors.

retreadeventer
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
Roeckl gloves or Heritage gloves. I like these better than SSG's, because the fingers always seem too long for my hands.

Rein: I have to say I really do like the Bartville rubber reins I just got. They are not thick, as in rubber wrapped around a leather rein. It's just a section of pimpled rubber.

I am still waiting for the very thin one inch wide laced leather reins to be made by someone, sometime, before my arthritis prevents me from riding....

kcrubin
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:09 PM
bartville rubber reins and ssg all weather gloves

Janet
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:51 PM
I also like the Roekl gloves. They fit my hands, and they have good grip.

I prefer leather (laced) reins for two reasons-
1- Don't have to change betwenn dressage and jumping reins,
2- I CAN slip the reins when I want to.
(When I have used web reins or rubber reins, I have difficulty slipping them when I need to, such as drops into water.

I only use gloves when it is wet.

ohhthatgirl
Nov. 14, 2009, 04:12 AM
I used to be a fan of SSG all weather gloves, but a friend of mine convinced me to try gloves with a crocheted back, and I. love. them. I don't know if its the kind I bought or what (Ariat, FWIW), but I the grip is great. I feel like I have more of a connected feel with them. However, I do go back to my black leather gloves for Dressage & Stadium.

I have web reins with a small strand of rubber going through them (like these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/passier-sure-grip-buckle-dressage-reins/p/X1-0353/cn/85/), but they weren't that expensive, haha). I like them better than rubber reins because rubber reins get too slippery with a sweaty horse.

scubed
Nov. 14, 2009, 04:35 AM
cotton web reins with the rubber sewn in and cheap cotton pimple grip gloves

Gryhrs
Nov. 14, 2009, 06:29 AM
The new SSG Digital gloves are fabulosa!!!!!! The owner of a tack store at Riverglen introduced them to me last weekend... and I am a convert!! They are very grippy even when wet. Elegant enough to wear for dressage. The Digitals fit like a second skin just like the Roekls - which I also like. The SSG's all weather were at the top of my list but must say the Digitals have bumped them to second place. OK. I admit to a glove obsession. Is that so wrong????

Rubber reins.....love the really soft ones (as opposed to the hard dimply ones) ...use them all 3 phases.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Nov. 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
Rubber reins, the really thin ones... I think they are nunn finer.
and it depends on the weather.
when its nice and dry I use my SSG gator grip gloves
when its rainy I use my Roeckl Cross Country Gloves

the Roeckls stick to the reins really really well (the reins didn't slip once when I ran Prelim Fair Hill in the pouring rain) but they are so thick I only use them if I have to.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:05 PM
As for gloves, Roeckles (WHY is this brand SO hard to spell?!?), and as for reins, fabric threaded with rubber, for less bulk--and they are very grippy. I too have hand arthritis (huge swollen knuckles), and just can't grip properly with most rubber reins; I simply am unable to close my hands around the reins!

I think it's a personal preference, and this is mine. (Am still able to slip them when necessary, no problem...;))

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:18 PM
And didn't we just have this *exact* thread on the eventing forum just a few weeks ago? (Or maybe I am indeed becoming senile...:p)

Fiat Lux
Nov. 15, 2009, 01:51 PM
And didn't we just have this *exact* thread on the eventing forum just a few weeks ago? (Or maybe I am indeed becoming senile...:p)

Yes, we did... and isn't it interesting how different some of the responses were between that thread and this one...