PDA

View Full Version : HR: Nor 'Easter Ida - How are you coastal folks fairing?

RxCate
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:51 PM
Our arenas are under water as usual, but thankfully the farm is 15mi away from the coast so we're not doing too bad - I'm just hoping with this wind it doesn't turn out to be that scene from 'Twister' where the cow goes flying, but in this case, a horse!

My office & home in right in Ocean City, MD though and I have NEVER seen this much water here in my 24yrs of living here. Our office is directly bayfront with atleast a 1/2 mile of marsh and as of right now, you can't even see the marsh and the water is coming over the retaining walls -

My home is a block from the ocean and when I went out to look at it last night, the beach is gone and the waves are at least 7-8ft high and steadily coming over the dunes at high tide -

We have 3 ways off the island, 1 is closed for repairs, 1 is closed due to the storm and the 3rd is threatening to be closed due to 3ft of water on the roadway.

But yet we still have not been asked to evacuate.. hmm

Alagirl
Nov. 13, 2009, 01:43 PM
Well, Ida dropped around 9 inches over Alabama...I am grateful I live on a hill with poor, well draining soil....

JSwan
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
But yet we still have not been asked to evacuate.. hmm

My sister didn't evacuate either - she's not in MD though. Last time I spoke with her the water was up to the back door - but I'm sure it's receding by now.

She told me that the Currituck road was closed due to a sinkhole - lots of folks stuck on the Outer Banks.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:30 PM
We got 9.5 inches in southeastern coastal NC :rolleyes: For a few hours, I actually had waterfront property! My entire back yard was a pond and there was a river with rapids running across the road in front of my house. One of my friends joked that "some people pay extra for that" and I had to respond with "yeah me too! flood insurance!!" :yes:

To keep this HR, I called the BO yesterday morning and she said the horses had refused to leave the barn all day on Wednesday and requested a steady supply of hay. And that perhaps I should bring my horse some floaties. ;)