PDA

View Full Version : USEA Annual Meeting in Reston VA: Are You Going? If Not, Why Not?

colliemom
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:46 PM
The USEA annal meeting is just a few weeks away. I have some inside knowledge of all the hard work that is going on to prepare for this special 50th anniversary celebration of Eventing in the US. I was wondering.....

Are you going?

If so, what is the draw for you?

If not, why not?

Thanks for sharing!

Firefox
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
I will be there, should be a great time, going beause it is close!

Carol Ames
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
It sounds like a wonderful program :yes:but, I could not find the cost sanywhere:no:,, what is it:confused:?

tarheelmd07
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
I'm going to try to make it for at least a day or 2. It's very close to my house, but getting away from work this time of year is hard - and since my vacation is accrued july to july, I'm trying to save up my PTO to take the horses to Aiken in february :)

Hopefully I'll make at least a little bit...and I might be helping out at the trade fair, so I should make at least a small part of the meetings!

Janet
Nov. 13, 2009, 01:08 PM
I haven't signed up yet, but I'll be there.

I am CDCTA's rep to USEA, and the overall Affiliate Rep, so that is the basic "why?". But am also going to the Richard Jeffries clinic, and the hall of fame is always interesting.

inquisitive
Nov. 13, 2009, 01:10 PM
No :(

Can't get off work during the week and we have a big server upgrade that weekend

It's too far to 'drop in' for an hour if I get a break

Catalina
Nov. 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
I will be there at least for the awards lunch :).

gchildean
Nov. 13, 2009, 01:44 PM
I will be there. I have the YR coordinators meeting and the Area II council meeting. I am also bringing my daughter with me with hopes of doing some ice skating and xmas shopping. Also, the awards gala should be a lot of fun.

GotSpots
Nov. 13, 2009, 01:54 PM
Will be there/have to be there/looking forward to it despite alot of meetings!

Hey G - when is the Area II Council mtg? I've misplaced the email...

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
maybe. It is way too much time away from work and the horses for me.

I might make Friday and part of Saturday.....the seminar on Wednesday would be interesting....but no way can I make that in the middle of the week. December is brutal for work...year end deals start heating up and life gets very busy.

scubed
Nov. 13, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'll be there for Thursday afternoon and Friday. I try to come every year, but am juggling with a bunch of other stuff this year.

gchildean
Nov. 13, 2009, 03:45 PM
Will be there/have to be there/looking forward to it despite alot of meetings!

Hey G - when is the Area II Council mtg? I've misplaced the email...

I believe it is 2-4 on Saturday.

JER
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:13 PM
Anyone know if there's free food? :D

I'm supposed to be in DC on the 1st, might have to stay for extra meetings or SO's meetings. I'll have to check out the program...

Janet
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
Anyone know if there's free food? :D

I'm supposed to be in DC on the 1st, might have to stay for extra meetings or SO's meetings. I'll have to check out the program...
Possibly at the Richard Jeffries clinic.

Cody
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:27 PM
Nope, not me this year. Why...$$$ or lack thereof.

retreadeventer
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:36 PM
Well, there you go, Gwen, love the organizational aspect of this...if I had known the Area II meeting was Sat. I would have been able to do something about getting to that but not now. Oh well. I hope to be at the Jefferies seminar Weds., and Thurs. may attend most of the day. I have volunteered to help at the reception Thurs. pm. Have not heard if I am needed (Colliemom?)

But that's as far as my budget is stretching and my vacation days can go. I was disappointed a little in the various seminar subjects (saddle fit - please, is there anything ELSE?)and the scheduling. Nothing really appeals to me and that's a shame, being this is the 50th anniversary. I thought it would have some great seminars.

The cost is another pretty big factor. I've gotten a lot out of all of the Area II meetings I've attended and felt the cost was well worth the meals and the comraderie and the education, so I am hopeful I get that same feeling being there two-three days. But not expecting too much.

yellowbritches
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:41 PM
Of course I'm going! How could I NOT go...it's going to be 30 minutes down the road!!!! That's probably the biggest draw, but the program looks good (and since I LIVE here it won't be like San Francisco when I skipped out on 90% of it to see the sites). I'm excited about the Hall of Fame dinner plus the 50th anniversary. Toughest part of the weekend is going to be balancing taking care of the critters and getting to the seminars that I want to attend. :yes:

LAZ
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm going for the whole weekend, planning on taking a bit of time to also go in DC and see some sites with my niece and maybe COOKIEPONY!

I'm going to attend the classic format stuff and the Richard Jeffries seminar for sure, and most likely a few other meetings.

eventgroupie2
Nov. 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hubby and I had planned to go, but Willie's three surgeries kind of got in the way. Now there just isn't the $$$$ to spend for the convention, but I'm glad I still have my
Willie :yes:: Hope everyone that gets to go has a great time!

deltawave
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
No.

Too busy, free time is at a premium and other things take priority. :)

sm1
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:29 PM
probably not going due to time, although a few of the sessions look interesting. Does anyone know if they need volunteers? Do you need to register to visit the trade show booths?

CookiePony
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, I am going. The draw for me is the Training Three Day Committee (which has been incorporated into the Classic committee meeting), and the educational seminars, and of course going out on the town with LAZ. :D :lol:

It sure ain't cheap, and I will have to bring some work and try to get a little done, but I am looking forward to it!

jubilee.eventing
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:40 PM
I might be going it depends on the final results for my leaderboard... right now I am tied for tenth but I have no idea how they break a tie. I live pretty close to there so it would be a nice day trip for me.

paintlady
Nov. 13, 2009, 08:43 PM
Do they have vendors at the meeting? I'm not interested in eventing, but might be interested in checking out vendors if I can get in without having to pay for the meeting. I work right in Reston.

retreadeventer
Nov. 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm going for the whole weekend, planning on taking a bit of time to also go in DC and see some sites with my niece and maybe COOKIEPONY!

I'm going to attend the classic format stuff and the Richard Jeffries seminar for sure, and most likely a few other meetings.

I am going to Jeffries too and after I may go with some of the COTH people - we are thinking about doing a COTH dinner. keep it in mind! Holly

ksbadger
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:14 PM
Both Mrs KS & I will be attending. We're hoping to arrive early on Wednesday/leave late on Sunday so we get to see something of DC. Normally one of the engineering organizations I'm a member of has a meeting in DC that week but it's been postponed a month so no free transport. Looking forward to meeting a lot of old friends again.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
WHEW!

I just checked it out: $95 a day! :eek:

I am definitely planning to go to the Richard Jeffries clinic at FPP (hope to meet retreadeventer :)), but will have to pick and choose among the other days as to which one would be the most worthwhile use of my time *and* money. The nice thing is that it's so close to me--less nice is the cost, since I would like to be able to take some students along for the great educational opportunities, but I KNOW that it's simply out of their price range! (And then again they are also mostly either in high school or working full-time jobs, Drat!)

LAZ
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am going to Jeffries too and after I may go with some of the COTH people - we are thinking about doing a COTH dinner. keep it in mind! Holly

Cool! As long as I can find my way back to the hotel I'm game--I didn't get a car so I'm on the public transit plan for the week.

Janet
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:09 PM
WHEW!

I just checked it out: $95 a day! :eek:

I am definitely planning to go to the Richard Jeffries clinic at FPP (hope to meet retreadeventer :))
Just to clarify, no charge for the Jeffries clinic, thanks to CDCTA.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 14, 2009, 12:07 AM

That would explain why I wasn't able to find anything on the USEA website about the cost of this clinic; a big thanks to CDCTA! :D

RunForIt
Nov. 14, 2009, 07:38 AM
Wish I could, but...the wee children in first grade and the wee bank account are each the culprits keeping me from all the fun!!!! :D

Sure wish the major events like the Jeffies clinic, the awards dinner, discussions, the Adult Rider meeting, etc. were videoed...you lose a lot with the audio only replay, including lots of the AUDIO to poor quality...sigh.

Will rely on CookiePony's and retreadeventer's accounts of the meetings to get in on the action. :cool:

Hope everyone has a great (and safe) time!!! ;) :cool:

retreadeventer
Nov. 15, 2009, 08:24 PM

No, there is no charge for the clinic but don't you have to register for that day of the convention, $80? with USEA? Otherwise you won't be able to get in? Unless registered? Confusing.

Janet
Nov. 15, 2009, 08:59 PM
No, there is no charge for the clinic but don't you have to register for that day of the convention, $80? with USEA? Otherwise you won't be able to get in? Unless registered? Confusing.
Not as far as I know.

The way I understand it, you can sign up for the clinic independant of the meeting.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 15, 2009, 10:03 PM
Not as far as I know.

The way I understand it, you can sign up for the clinic independant of the meeting.

This is good to know; I'm thinking of trying to get a few other people to join me...:)

ottb
Nov. 16, 2009, 07:12 AM
looking forward to going Fri-Sun. Would have liked to go earlier, but couldn't afford the additional time off work.

JFS
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:06 AM
For the first time in 10 years I will not be attending. With 2 kids in college, 6 ponies to feed and business down for hubby & the farm this year I need to cut back where I can :( I will be driving down for the Richard Jeffery clinic. Thanks to CDCTA for sponsoring it.

Jackie

FlightCheck
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:24 AM
Mr. FlightCheck and I are flying in the Saturday before to celebrate our 10th anniversary, his 40th, and see DC before attending.

LAZ
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:27 AM
For the first time in 10 years I will not be attending. With 2 kids in college, 6 ponies to feed and business down for hubby & the farm this year I need to cut back where I can :( I will be driving down for the Richard Jeffery clinic. Thanks to CDCTA for sponsoring it.

Jackie

That's a bummer! I guess I'll get to see you at the Richard Jeffery clinic, at least.

JFS
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Looking forward to seeing you LAZ

Jackie

GreyDun
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:39 AM

The clinic is free - we're just trying to get a headcount so we can do lunch ... get in touch with Nancy Knight at the USEA if you have questions about this - nancy@useventing.com

mellsmom
Nov. 16, 2009, 10:42 AM
other than that...... not really. I am very dissappointed at the general sessions. They have been done to death already. Please get some fresh ideas..... I am really having a hard time justifying the cost for the one session I want to attend. So I have procrastinated sending in the registration. I did attend the meeting in Boston a few years ago, so know what to expect. But again can't justify the price of two lessons with a UL rider to come chat with friends.

wildlifer
Nov. 16, 2009, 11:00 AM
No. It's too expensive.

Kairoshorses
Nov. 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
Nope. Would love to, but 1. I'm in TX, it's in VA; 2. It's in the last week of classes; 3. I'm going to a clinic that weekend.:D

retreadeventer
Nov. 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
Cool! As long as I can find my way back to the hotel I'm game--I didn't get a car so I'm on the public transit plan for the week.

Laz I will have my car and staying at hotel too. Be happy to provide transportation out to the seminar if you want me to stop and pick you up - or give a ride back. Just let me know. H.

colliemom
Nov. 17, 2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. It is interesting to me to hear what people think about the meetings, both National and Area.

I find them interesting more from the perspective of attending committee meetings and hearing first hand what is going on in the governance of the sport. The educational sessions are also usually very interesting -- but I agree that they don't seem to be much different this time around. They need to remain fresh if return attendance is expected year to year.

Retread, if you are around Thursday afternoon, I would most definitely appreciate your help! Not exactly sure yet what we are doing, since I think all we have is one six foot table to display all the area awards (regular area awards, plus young rider awards, plus smurfie awards) :(

We are driving down Wednesday night after work. I guess I'll figure it out once I'm there and can see/negotiate.

gchildean
Nov. 17, 2009, 09:44 AM
Coliemom,
Do you need us to bring some tables? We have 2 or 3. Or is there absolutely no room? I know from the past that there is no way to properly display the awards on 1 table. Esspecially since ours are huge plates.

Catalina
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
Dumb question: I got my tickets online through the Dashboard and I got an email saying that they would be processed within 24 hours and I have not heard anything else in seven days. How do we get our tickets?

gchildean
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:14 AM
You pick them up at the convention registration booth.

Catalina
Nov. 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
Great, thanks! :)

colliemom
Nov. 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
Coliemom,
Do you need us to bring some tables? We have 2 or 3. Or is there absolutely no room? I know from the past that there is no way to properly display the awards on 1 table. Esspecially since ours are huge plates.

Still trying to find that out, but my belief at this point is that it's not table availability, it's the actual physical space which is limited. So even if we brought our own tables (generally, big hotels have plenty of those!) there isn't a place to put them. If I learn differently I'll definitely pass it along. For now, I'm looking at a "representative sample" on display only... :(

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 17, 2009, 02:17 PM
Still trying to find that out, but my belief at this point is that it's not table availability, it's the actual physical space which is limited. So even if we brought our own tables (generally, big hotels have plenty of those!) there isn't a place to put them. If I learn differently I'll definitely pass it along. For now, I'm looking at a "representative sample" on display only... :(

Maybe consider bringing some crates or something that will let you create more "levels" within your space or on your table.

Good luck.

retreadeventer
Nov. 17, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yes using "up" space. However some of these are so large, Bornfree, and heavy, that crates won't be safe for them.

LAZ
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
Laz I will have my car and staying at hotel too. Be happy to provide transportation out to the seminar if you want me to stop and pick you up - or give a ride back. Just let me know. H.

That'd be great! I get in Tuesday night, late-ish.

colliemom
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:40 AM
Maybe consider bringing some crates or something that will let you create more "levels" within your space or on your table.

Good luck.

Yes, we are looking into "up" space... Mr. Colliemom is going to make a riser of some kind. We are in close contact with the USEA folks, and will do the best we can, but reality is that we won't be able to display everything as I had hoped.

LisaB
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:42 PM
I'm coming up Saturday for the day.
Jubilee, if you're not doing the dinner, you can hitch a ride with me.

yellowbritches
Nov. 20, 2009, 08:52 AM
I've got a question regarding the party, if anyone can answer it...

One of our clients would like to be able to get to the party, but his company holiday party is the same evening and he is at the level where he's GOT to make an appearance. We were just talking about whether he should hit up his party early, then come to Reston, or come out to Reston earlier, then go make his obligatory appearance for work. Any thoughts? Obviously, the most interesting part is the Hall of Fame awards...but I'm not clear on how late or early those will start.

Janet
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:43 AM
The clinic is free - we're just trying to get a headcount so we can do lunch ... get in touch with Nancy Knight at the USEA if you have questions about this - nancy@useventing.com
Over 70 so far!

gchildean
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
When I went a couple years ago it started a 7 with dinner and the awards stuff didn't end until 10:30 - 11. Then there was dancing until 12. It's quite a long evening.

FoxChaser
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:11 AM
I'm not going this year. This has been a year when I've started over with a greenie and didn't get him past BN before I got pregnant. I really want to go to one of the annual meetings, but will wait for a year when I'm a little more involved and going at least training again :)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:53 AM
Over 70 so far!

Is there a limit on how many people can attend? Do you have to be a member of USEA?

evntr06
Nov. 20, 2009, 09:50 PM
I really wanted to go, especially since it is in my back yard, but registration is a bit steep, esp since there's only 1 seminar each day that I would be really interested in attending. So, from the educational stand point, I thought it would be better for me to spend that money on clinics or lessons. Its too bad that the entry fees are not made more affordable. :)

Janet
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
Is there a limit on how many people can attend? Do you have to be a member of USEA?
Not that I know of.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
I really wanted to go, especially since it is in my back yard, but registration is a bit steep, esp since there's only 1 seminar each day that I would be really interested in attending. So, from the educational stand point, I thought it would be better for me to spend that money on clinics or lessons. Its too bad that the entry fees are not made more affordable. :)

I'm with you on this one!

I wish it were more clear as to exactly what would be covered on which day; I could probably justify the expense (and time involved) of going one full day if I felt the subject matter covered (on that day) would be really worthwhile to me...

And thanks, Janet! :) I have a few folks who I am encouraging to try to join me over there to watch on that Wed. (mostly students with flexible schedules...)

retreadeventer
Nov. 24, 2009, 05:03 PM
hey Virginia peeps --

How much travel time should we slot for pickup at the hotel, then go over to frying pan park?

LAZ
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:46 PM

I thought the registeration fee was very reasonable, it's the flight & hotel that are costing me (and the paying to have the farm and dogs cared for, and not making any money while I'm away).

sm1
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:21 AM
it's 10 mins from reston to frying pan, but with hotel pickup and a.m. traffic, I'd leave 30 minutes for travel time.

Trakehner
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:59 AM
And...there's a high-end outlet mall just down the road a mile (Saks, Jones of NY, Brooks Bros, Eddie Bauer etc.)

retreadeventer
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
Trakehner, I will be sure to miss the entrance to that mall! After this I won't have two nickels clinking around on the bottom of my purse! Thanks, I figured 30 min. Got that, Laz? And we actually will have room comfortably for two more in the car if anyone else needs a ride from the hotel to FPP.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:55 PM
And they are not taking any more registrations?!?

One *must* register in order to attend? The venue can accomodate 100's of people (and if there is no charge, how are you going to technically restrict access?), so this is a huge bummer, if so. Meaning that I won't be able to attend, but no way to check on this for sure (since Nancy is out of the office until after T-Giving.)

:sigh:

Anyone else have this problem, as in waiting too long to register, hence now will not be allowed to go? Misery loves company, so I welcome any commiseration...

LAZ
Nov. 28, 2009, 09:33 AM
Trakehner, I will be sure to miss the entrance to that mall! After this I won't have two nickels clinking around on the bottom of my purse! Thanks, I figured 30 min. Got that, Laz? And we actually will have room comfortably for two more in the car if anyone else needs a ride from the hotel to FPP.

No worries, you have one more nickel than I do!:winkgrin:

Janet
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
And they are not taking any more registrations?!?

One *must* register in order to attend? The venue can accomodate 100's of people (and if there is no charge, how are you going to technically restrict access?), so this is a huge bummer, if so. Meaning that I won't be able to attend, but no way to check on this for sure (since Nancy is out of the office until after T-Giving.)

:sigh:

Anyone else have this problem, as in waiting too long to register, hence now will not be allowed to go? Misery loves company, so I welcome any commiseration...
A I understand it, they have exceeded the room capacity for the CLASSROOM for the morning session. I think you can still attend the afternoon session in the indoor.

Carol Ames
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
Please, someone just-tell me:lol: how much; the counselor who controls my $will be here on the 1st.; that will be my only chance to get the money in some manner, cash, check, or debit card:winkgrin:

LAZ
Nov. 29, 2009, 05:50 PM
Mary Fike needs a ride on Wednesday, too. Do you still have room?

retreadeventer
Nov. 29, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yes - no problem hey call me PM I'll resend ph. no.

Janet
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:30 PM
Please, someone just-tell me:lol: how much; the counselor who controls my $will be here on the 1st.; that will be my only chance to get the money in some manner, cash, check, or debit card:winkgrin:
Carol,

There is NO CHARGE for this clinic.

But you DO need to sign up so we have a head count.

avezan
Dec. 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
If anyone else is doing this REALLY last minute like I am, the Sheraton Reston has rooms for $59 a night on Fri and Sat. This is a really nice hotel! :) Can't wait until class is over on Friday, then I'll be hightailing it over to the convention.

horsecents
Dec. 3, 2009, 12:52 AM
The Show Jumping Seminar was excellent. Especially liked watching the horses jump and how making slight changes could change their jumping. Loved the horse Alison Springer rode. Hats off to the organizers and volunteers for this seminar.

Thames Pirate
Dec. 3, 2009, 01:10 AM
No--because the vet has all of my money.

Janet
Dec. 3, 2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks

ottb
Dec. 3, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thanksyou must be the vet:D

Catalina
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know if at the Awards Banquet they start with Advanced and work their way down or what? I have never been before and I was just wondering around when the Novice presentations would be if the banquet starts at 12:00.

katnetzler
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hello All!

I've just posted my daily update from the convention on the Chronicle's main site: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/news-usea-annual-meeting-and-convention-day-1

Sara Lieser will be here for Chronicle coverage tomorrow... Stay tuned!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know if we can still sign up to go to the Sat. night gala? Trying to see if I can make it down there but probably could only come down for Sat afternoon and evening... Not sure if it is worth it but it may be fun.

Janet
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
you must be the vet:D
Uh, No.

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 3, 2009, 09:42 PM
Uh, No.

:lol:

See, Janet, you *are* capable of not being literal...;)

gchildean
Dec. 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know if at the Awards Banquet they start with Advanced and work their way down or what? I have never been before and I was just wondering around when the Novice presentations would be if the banquet starts at 12:00.

I believe they start at the bottom and work their way up but I could be wrong.