PDA

View Full Version : Truck shopping...

fordtraktor
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:29 AM
Please help me truck shop! I need something reasonably comfortable, as it will be my everyday vehicle. Has to have 4 doors to accommodate the family. Needs to pull a loaded 2+1 trailer. What would you get?

What options would you get? Diesel or gas? Short or long bed? Duallie or no? How much engine?

Thanks for the help!

mainerinmd
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
I love my F250 crew cab with 6 1/2 ft bed, diesel, not a dually, automatic. I have a 2H gooseneck that it pulls like a dream and the ride is comfortable for every day hauling. You could pull with the gas V10, but the fuel mileage is less than the diesel especially when towing. Plus, who doesn't love the sound a diesel makes :)

If you look around you can find a good deal on used.

monalisa
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
If you are using this for your every day vehicle I would not get a dually. I would get a 250 (3/4 ton) and would recommend a diesel - much better gas mileage and torque for hauling but will cost you more upfront.

I have had 2 trucks, both long beds. I HATE the short bed trucks, you can't put anything in them and I had trouble finding a long bed when I bought my last truck in 2006. I have had 2 Dodges and love them both. But that will be personal preference and word on the street is that Chrylser is not going to make it long-term. So not sure if I would buy one new today for that reason.

ChocoMare
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
Diesel, 3/4 Ton long bed. ;)

monalisa
Nov. 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Meant to add - if you drive a dually as an everyday vehicle, it will drive you crazy. They are a bear to park and handle around shopping areas, in town, etc. Only get a dually if you have another vehicle to drive. That is my recommendation. I LOVE my dually but I don't drive it much around town, only use it to haul.

tangledweb
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
If it needs to be a 4 door and an every day vehicle I would skip the long bed too. It makes for a very long vehicle overall. I don't know where you live/work but if your everyday driving takes you to crowded carparks and street parking I'd consider a high end 1/2 ton too.

monalisa
Nov. 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
My older truck is a 3/4 ton long-bed. I have not found it a bear to park, but maybe because I have a new dually and between the two of them, the dually is much more difficult to ride in around town.

Hard call between form and function - I just think a short bed truck is worthless in terms of its ability to haul anything in the bed. I would not recommend a short bed if you ever plan on getting a gooseneck. Not unless you are the most careful driver ever.

Touchstone Farm
Nov. 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
No dually. You don't need it for what you are hauling. And it's just two more tires to buy.

Go with a short-bed (have a 3-horse, gooseneck LQ and it's been no problem at all). Easier to park.

I really like my Chevy Duramax diesel (quieter than most diesels).

fordtraktor
Nov. 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, very helpful to find out what people like/think I need. We had a 454 dually 4x4 when I was a kid, and that is more truck than I need....but I wasn't exactly sure what I do need to have enough truck.

4x4 or not? I have been in enough muddy fields that I am reluctant to get a truck that isn't, but it does make the turning radius so large...

monalisa
Nov. 13, 2009, 10:37 PM
Absolutely go with the 4 x 4 - that is a no brainer. You WILL get stuck without it. That is a guarantee. Unless you live in the desert.

saddleup
Nov. 14, 2009, 12:14 AM
I have a 2007 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4x4, short bed (it had to fit in my garage!) and I love my truck. The one other thing I'd really recommend is to get the one with the heated seats. With the cold winters here I love that feature!

Oh, it pulls my trailer great, too. But that sort of goes without saying, I guess.

BasqueMom
Nov. 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Check the measurements on short bed,
some are 6.5 feet and some 5.5 or 5.0 feet.
Would imagine the shorter one would make a gooseneck a problem.

We have a 1997 F250 extended cab with long bed 4x4 and a Dodge 1500 quad cab with long bed 4x4. Both have the same wheel base but the Dodge has a shorter turning radius--go figure.

The Dodge pulls our 2-horse okay but guzzles the gas. The diesel Ford could pull the house, much less the horses, and not blink and
guzzles much less gas doing it.

secretariat
Nov. 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
Good advice. I'd go with the 250, 4x4, diesel (been there, done that, and loved it). I'm a Ford man, but frankly the Dodges and GMC's are pretty damned impressive as well.

foggybok
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:42 PM
Please help me truck shop! I need something reasonably comfortable, as it will be my everyday vehicle. Has to have 4 doors to accommodate the family. Needs to pull a loaded 2+1 trailer. What would you get?

What options would you get? Diesel or gas? Short or long bed? Duallie or no? How much engine?

Thanks for the help!

I have a gooseneck 2+1 trailer and i pull it with a 3/4 ton diesel. I LOVE my truck! 4WD, 4 doors, short bed.

Used to be a Ford person, but this is a Dodge and I love it

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 15, 2009, 08:34 PM
I had to rush someone to the hospital driving a dually once--what a not-fun driving experience that was (little enclosed turnaround with tons of traffic). Also noticed it wasn't as nice of a ride without the trailer attached...

I wouldn't want to have a dually for my everyday truck either...

OneMoreForTheRoad
Nov. 16, 2009, 09:29 AM
I also recommend the Ford F250 Diesel. Four doors, short bed and I have a 3 horse slant load and it pulls it fully-loaded with no problem.

As far as brand goes its all in what individuals like, I can sit down and argue with Chevy people all day but we never get anywhere. But I will say that my truck has well over 100K miles and its only needed 2 major repairs this whole time (turbo charger waste gate and the seals to the front axels for the 4x4)