View Full Version : Mud Control!!

Nov. 12, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hello all! Looking for some COTH magic! The pasture I keep my horses in gets very muddy every winter in the lowest section, which is coincidentally where I need to enter, exit, and feed. Would mulch or wood stove pellets help?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Nov. 12, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have one of those wash stall mats with the holes in it right where the gate is.... works great.

red squirrel ridge
Nov. 12, 2009, 10:23 PM
The website horseseforcleanwater.com has loads of good info on mud prevention using pea gravel, mulch and geotextile fabric etc. so of the articles you have to pay for but its at least worth checking out. I want to implement some of their suggestions at my farm but will have to make room in the budget :)!
Also the pellets might just get water logged and not help much, I guess it would depend on just how muddy it gets, hope this helps !

Nov. 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have put screenings (stone dust) at the gates - I put them a little bit higher than the surrounding area so the rain drains off - it gets packed down hard - like cement. It has solved my problem.

I had a friend who used to get free mulch from the tree trimming guys - would put a truckload at her gate. That worked well - but it does break down over time.

red squirrel ridge
Nov. 14, 2009, 02:20 PM
I just thought of one more thing. My husband and I heat our home with a pellet stove and he suggested I use some of those pellets for bedding the the stalls as they look exactly like the animal bedding pellets but I am worried that since they are made for burning not bedding that they might contain black walnut and therefore be quite dangerous to my donkey and pony. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate concern ?
About the mulch I have heard that they don't usually use black walnut in mulch intended for landscaping b/c it is so toxic plants can't grow around it.

Nov. 15, 2009, 10:26 AM
DON'T use wood pellets!! They will become very slick mush in a short time, I have tried it (slipped and busted my @$&! I would put down stone dust or pea gravel. Wood chips or mulch also work pretty well for a few months to a year and they can be cheaper.